PDA

View Full Version : Hit by a 40 tonne truck

cerruti
19-07-12, 03:35 PM
Had a bit of an argument with a 40 tonne articulated lorry this morning on my way to work... I'm ok, just some soft tissue damage to my right knee and a bit shaken up, otherwise Im fine.

Sadly my ER6 wasn't quite so lucky - The little RAC man took it on the back of his lorry to Bristol Kawasaki where it now waits for some little insurance people to inspect :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I was 500 yards from my office when it happened, cutting a long story short, big lorry overtaking big lorries on little road, he was on my side of the road :o I stopped and waved at him as I had nowhere to go, but he saw me and kept coming and knocked me and bike over >:(

Arrogant twat then proceeded to blame me >:( >:( >:(

Jon_W
19-07-12, 03:39 PM
OUCH!!!!

Glad your ok.

Geordie Stu
19-07-12, 03:47 PM
Glad to read your Ok even though a bit shaken up. ;)

Sounds cut & dry he was on your side of the carriageway you had nowhere to go. His fault.

Hope it gets sorted & quickly :)

Nelly
19-07-12, 04:01 PM
Nasty. Glad your ok though.

:)

Crosbie
19-07-12, 04:12 PM
oooophf. What the hell is wrong with people. I dont think i would have kept my cool - particularly if he then proceeded to blame you! :-?

Could have been a lot worse. Glad your ok!

Nikki
19-07-12, 04:20 PM
Astounding glad you are OK - hope you had some witnesses and took photos etc.

cerruti
19-07-12, 04:41 PM
I had 2 witnesses come forward immediately - the car driver behind me who saw the whole thing, and the Eddie Stobart truck driver who was parked opposite (the parked lorry that was being overtaken by the twat that hit me).

Both drivers said straight away it wasnt my fault, there was nothing I could do, and that the lorry driver who hit me was driving like a C0ck >:(

I took photos of the lorry and the location, but sadly I didnt get my phone out quick enough to capture the lorry driver as he quickly retrieved my bike from under his wheels ::)

Note - My mobile phone was in one of my panniers so I couldnt get at it...

Note to self, in future always carry phone about person, not on bike! :(

At the moment Im dealing with insurance people, legal people, bike hire people, repair people and just about every other people in the world, phone hasn't stopped ringing :'(

Nikki
19-07-12, 04:45 PM
Hope it all gets sorted asap for you.

Take it steady and get some rest too - it's amazing what shock does.

Jacde
19-07-12, 04:55 PM
:o :o

Blimey, thank goodness it wasn't you under the wheels of the lorry!!!

Hope your injuries recover quickly.

diwallace67
19-07-12, 05:27 PM
Hey sorry to hear......hoping you manage to get things sorted without too much hassle. Take it easy.........wishing you a speedy recovery

Conehead
19-07-12, 06:52 PM
Hope you get it all sorted soon. It is a sad shame there are idiots on the road that just dont care especially when in control of such a heavy thing as a truck. Glad you are ok. All the best for a speedy recovery and back on the road soon 8-) 8-).

SupeRDel
19-07-12, 07:07 PM
Soft tissue damage to knee means injury. Surely you should inform police.

Thought it was a crime not to inform police of an injury accident - especially for him.. ;)

BB
19-07-12, 08:08 PM
Soft tissue damage to knee means injury. Surely you should inform police.

Thought it was a crime not to inform police of an injury accident - especially for him.. ;)

I thought so too.

Just so glad you are relatively ok :)

BB

Wes
19-07-12, 08:13 PM
Sorry to hear it, there are some right arrogant tw@ts around, hope you feel better soon :)

redken1
19-07-12, 08:15 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery

Mark_Able
19-07-12, 09:18 PM
Oh Karen, I'm glad you're ok, if a bit shaken. I'm sick and tired of the knobs we have to deal with these days. City riding isn't a pleasure anymore. I used to enjoy leaving all the suckers in the queue as I filtered past. These days, they're all out to get you/haven't seen you/busy on the mobile phone/can't be arsed to indicate/too busy shipping drugs/chatting with their mates in the car/fleeing a crime scene/unaware there's a world beyond the end of their bonnet... >:(

Dan505
19-07-12, 09:26 PM
:o glad your ok, take it easy and hope the moron gets what he deserves

Ducatista
19-07-12, 09:34 PM
Sorry to hear about all the hassle, but the main thing is that you are (mainly) intact.

Swanny
19-07-12, 09:38 PM
Glad you're ok
Was the driver English??

cerruti
19-07-12, 09:50 PM
Yes the driver was English, driving a truck for a Somerset haulage firm.

I am very happy that I got up and walked away from it... tbh I was more upset about the damage to my bike than to my knee - I wept as I got down on the road to retrieve my footpeg that had sheared off, along with my clutch lever and mirror :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

To see my lovely shiny new bike that I was so proud of, lying in the road in bits was just too much for me :'( :'( :'(

Insurance will hopefully ensure that it's mended and back with me soon. I have a loaner bike arriving on Saturday morning and I need to ensure I get straight back in the saddle, even if it means I have my knee strapped up! :)

Goldie
19-07-12, 09:56 PM
What a tosser, I'm glad you're okay though, it must have been awful :(
I hope you reported it to the police, it's procedure these days and might help your insurance go through quicker with a case number, etc.

oldfatboy
19-07-12, 10:32 PM
Her indoors (cerruti) has been hassling me to post something in this thread :-? .. not sure what I can add, but at least I have posted now! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rabb
19-07-12, 11:21 PM
Glad you are relatively OK (apart from your damaged knee)
Your bike can be easily fixed.

voodoo
19-07-12, 11:29 PM
:o glad you're ok

Scotty
20-07-12, 08:15 AM
A good rule to observe in an RTC situation; Call the Cops if you're a) injured in any way and b) if the perpetrator argues liability.

I had a knee injury last year that GWH in Swinetown diagnosed (even after requesting a second opinion) as "a bit of soft tissue damage" - I had four weeks off work in November after needing said bit of soft tissue, a cruciate ligament, replacing... have you been to A&E (possibly a waste of time) or your GP (better)?

Good that you're getting right back on the horse though, well done. 8-)

DC
20-07-12, 09:12 AM
Glad you are ok !!! I had an off about seven weeks ago, It really hurts to see your bike after its been sliding down the road :( had a right time with the insurance folk and all the red tape making sure they hadnt forgotten me, I had to be on the phone all the time making sure I was still at the top of their list. Hassle them Cerruti and keep hassling them until you get what you want !!! Hope it all pans out quickly for you. :)

Ducatista
20-07-12, 09:23 AM
Yes, deffo go to your GP (if not been to A&E).
Some of the advice can be invaluable long term regards things like stopping the formation of scar tissue.

cerruti
20-07-12, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the advice Daddy Cool and so glad to hear you get your pride and joy back today.

Having an accident is one thing, dealing with all the "people" after is something else - As you say, you need to be on the ball. I just pray mine doesnt take 7 weeks - I have severe withdrawal symptoms already, I feel like Ive lost a child :'(

cerruti
20-07-12, 09:29 AM
Yes, deffo go to your GP (if not been to A&E).
Some of the advice can be invaluable long term regards things like stopping the formation of scar tissue.

I spent a lovely 3 hours in Trowbridge minor injury unit yesterday afternoon having my knee assessed - just some soft tissue damage probably where I dragged my leg up and over the bike a nano second before the huge great lorry tyre made contact with my bike :o I probably twisted it on the way, not sure, it happened soooo quick.

When the accident happened I didnt even realise I was hurt, it wasnt until I was sat at the side of the road on my own with my bike waiting for the RAC truck that things started to hurt :(

That is why the police weren't involved - there was no injury at the time and no obstruction of the highway.

NiteW4tcher
20-07-12, 11:32 AM
christ sounds nasty hope your ok

Loops
20-07-12, 08:57 PM
Aww, I know the feeling about seeing your bike injured :'( Mine was only a slow speed bump by a car but I was more worried about the bike and annoyed about the damage to my trousers then the pain in my ankle!

If you want to go out with someone when your loaner bike arrives then let me know, it's good to get back out straight away (if your knee can cope) :)

thepetrolhead91
20-07-12, 09:13 PM
Darn it, hope your all ok, shame about the poor ER6 but shake it off and get back on the saddle. Gotta look out for those mahusive lorries and buses always. All the best :) !!!

cerruti
20-07-12, 10:00 PM
If you want to go out with someone when your loaner bike arrives then let me know, it's good to get back out straight away (if your knee can cope) :)

Thanks Loops, that would be great - I will pm you tomorrow when it arrives... thankyou hunny!

Col
21-07-12, 02:24 PM
GWS :)

ole chinese proverb [I think] 'when big truck coming at you--get outta the fookin way--quick' :D

silly_simon
29-07-12, 05:54 PM
Sounds like one less Bloody idiot driving lorries then :)

It is the actions of twats like this that give us lorry drivers a bad name >:(

Glad youre ok Hun :) :)

cerruti
29-07-12, 06:06 PM
Thankyou Hunny but I'm not ok :'(

Im missing my bike :( And the Lorry driver's Haulage company's insurance is not admitting liailibty (How I don't know - if Im stationary and he hits me and there are 2 independent witnesses, seriously - how can he not be guilty? >:( >:( >:(

This means it's going to mitigation (whatever that means in legal terms), but in real terms it means my bike isnt getting repaired any time soon :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Ive got a Bandit loan bike but its just not the same.

Oh, and Ive still got a sore fat knee :(

SupeRDel
29-07-12, 06:18 PM
I presume you are using one of the legal companies.

You are injured, claim for everything.

Col
30-07-12, 12:48 AM
Hey Cerruti I think you meant 'Litigation' cos seems like they are admitting nowt and your insurer are threatening court action--mitigate I thought meant 'lessen effect'

bound to be some wordsmith along soon :P

anyways hope this don't rumble on too long for you

Jon_W
30-07-12, 09:01 AM
May mean mediation. Waste of time if that is the case. Don'r accept any less than you are owed.

Mitch9128
30-07-12, 09:12 AM
Do you mean 'Mediation'? If so i'd be binning your insurance appointed legal, and going White Dalton. Cannot stress enough how the insurance appointed legals have no idea and will try settle asap with no regard to your claim. If you need advice, ring them, http://www.whitedalton.co.uk/ a REAL solicitor will ring you back, not a paralegal and advise you of your best route.

clubberxx
30-07-12, 03:21 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident.. Don't worry about the bike, at least your safe and well.. I came off approx 6 weeks ago, fractured pelvis, it takes time to recover but glad to hear your getting straight back on.. Could of been worse..!