PDA

View Full Version : Long distance riding comfort

cerruti
26-07-12, 12:31 PM
This is a question especially for the lady riders ;)

How do you ensure comfort when out on a long ride?

I went out on my harley for the day yesterday, and to be quite blunt... It's a really wide bike :o :o :o

I was pretty relaxed the whole time and ensured that I changed my position a little every now and then. I have forward pegs so my legs were spread quite wide :o I found that on the final leg of the journey I was starting to sieze up and things were starting to hurt :(

This morning my back is killing me, my thighs are on fire and I feel like I spent the day riding Seabiscuit :D :D :D :D

Mitch9128
26-07-12, 12:45 PM
Get a sportsbike, people mock the riding position, but far comfier than any 'sit up' bikes for me.

Jon_W
26-07-12, 12:49 PM
Backside pain: CHECK
Legs siezed: CHECK

Welcome to riding distance!!!!! :D ;D

It's all down to the ergonimics of the bike and where you are putting your weight. The Harley will tend to sit you plumb on your backside with little weight on your feet or hands, probably hence the sore back and bum!

Thje siezed legs is caused by sitting still for long periods. You need to move about every now and again to minimise this. The thigh pain is probably due to the sitting position.

cerruti
26-07-12, 12:58 PM
Get a sportsbike, people mock the riding position, but far comfier than any 'sit up' bikes for me.

Don't go there Mitch - My ER6 is still in the workshop waiting for stupid insurance peoples to reach some agreement :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I did ride the kwaka to work daily, which is about an hour's ride and I found that by the time I reached the office things were just starting to hurt... The slightly forward riding position and the leg scrunching is not good for my back - Im held together with bits of titanium :o :o :o

For long distance I would choose the Harley every time, for commuting efficiency its the kwaka. I guess it's a fitness issue and I need to spent more time in the saddle ;)

But my god Ive got a sore backside and thighs today ;D ;D ;D ;D

Snowy
26-07-12, 01:17 PM
I could do about 30 miles on a sportsbike until I couldn't put up with the pain anymore ;D

On my "Sports Tourer" I can do about 100 miles before I need a break, and 250 mile days are comfortable.

On my Tourer (sit up and beg GS Adventure) I can do 80 miles non-stop on the stock seat before numb bum sets in and I need a break. 300 mile days still OK though.

If I put the Sargent or Kahedo seats on the GSA then I can do 160 miles non-stop and 350 plus many more mile days.

There are many different reasons for back, leg, bum, neck and arm pain on long distances. Its all down to the individual and as Jon says, the ergonomics of the bike. What works for one might not work for another and everyones pain threshold/fitness level is different. This is why there are so many different aftermarket "solutions" for you to spend your money on.

wiltshire builders
26-07-12, 04:32 PM
STRETCH!
Before every long ride stretch your hamstrings, glutes, quads and your thoracolumbar facia. In English that's the back of your legs, your ass, the top of your legs and your lower back.

Hamstrings: Toe touches

Glutes: Sit on the floor, legs out straight. Cross your right leg over the left. Right foot flat to the floor, knee bent. Twist to the right and hook your left elbow onto the outside of your right knee. Push against the knee to stretch. Repeat the same with the left leg.

Quads: Stand on one leg. Pull the heal of the othe leg back and towards your bottom. Push forward with the knee to maximise the stretch.

Thorahirdsfaciaboard: Lie on your back, legs raised and bent at 90 degrees so that the thighs point up and the lower leg is parallel to the floor. Twist at the hips and lower the legs from left to right.

Do this before you set off and your aching days will soon be a distant memory.

Conehead
26-07-12, 05:34 PM
STRETCH!
Before every long ride stretch your hamstrings, glutes, quads and your thoracolumbar facia. In English that's the back of your legs, your ass, the top of your legs and your lower back.
Dont forget to also go for a pee

Glutes: Sit on the floor, legs out straight. Cross your right leg over the left. Right foot flat to the floor, knee bent. Twist to the right and hook your left elbow onto the outside of your right knee. Push against the knee to stretch. Repeat the same with the left leg.

Quads: Stand on one leg. Pull the heal of the othe leg back and towards your bottom. Push forward with the knee to maximise the stretch.

Thorahirdsfaciaboard: Lie on your back, legs raised and bent at 90 degrees so that the thighs point up and the lower leg is parallel to the floor. Twist at the hips and lower the legs from left to right.

Conehead
26-07-12, 05:35 PM
STRETCH!

Dont forget to go for pee

NiteW4tcher
26-07-12, 05:45 PM
i could do 100+ on my gsxr......somehow the bike just suits my body

alanTDM
26-07-12, 06:22 PM
I can do a tankfull 21ltr 210miles with no problems on the TDM,but i do stop at approx 100miles just for a ciggy etc but then im off again, any longer and i loose the rhythm of the ride.

cerruti
26-07-12, 06:37 PM
STRETCH!

Oh hunny, if only! ;D

Touch Toes = I havent touched my toes in 25 years ;D I am literally held together with titanium plates, rods, bolts and screws following a major horse riding accident - I can just about reach my knees on a good day ::)

Glutes, sit on the floor and ... = Lets stop right there - I would need to warm up to sit on the floor and it would take me half an hour to get down there and half an hour to get back up again :D

Quads = Im not even going to try and get out of that one, just no, it aint ever gonna happen ;D ;D ;D

redken1
26-07-12, 07:08 PM
I did 610 miles in one day on my old Fazer, but the last 100 was a real struggle to get home. And that was 4 years ago - don't think I could manage it now. :(

Dare I say it - Age is a big factor. When your body has done a few tours of duty it starts to complain - unfortunately, a fact of life. I always say as long as someone is about to lift me on to a bike I’ll ride it. :D ;) ;D

Dan505
26-07-12, 08:01 PM
i guess we're all different and differnet bikes/positions suit others better, i did 271 miles on my 'sports' bike and didn't find it uncomfortable.

try flexing your joints every now and again to stop them becoming stiff and locking. i tend to flex my elbows when riding and my knees when stopped in traffic, the odd full head twist from side to side seems to help me too :) failing that soak yourself in deep heat, suit up and off you go :P

@bj
26-07-12, 08:21 PM
Oh hunny, if only! ;D

Classic... 8-)

Nikki
26-07-12, 08:23 PM
I went through loads of bikes trying to find one I liked and could ride more than 50 miles without being in pain and was really shocked to find for me a GSXR is just brilliant. I really dont get any aches or pains at all - no wrist ache, back ache, bum ache anything......and I'm no spring chicken ;) ;D Havent touched/seen my toes in years either ;D ;D

Maybe it's something you'll get used to with more use? If you really like the bike and don't want to part with it perhaps just keep trying with some longer rides.

It's horrid when you like a bike but its just not comfortable to ride any distance - been there.

Nikki
26-07-12, 08:26 PM
STRETCH!

Blooming heck do you honestly do all that before you set off? :o :o

Dan505
26-07-12, 08:30 PM
yeah mentally maybe ;)

wiltshire builders
26-07-12, 09:15 PM
I went through loads of bikes trying to find one I liked and could ride more than 50 miles without being in pain and was really shocked to find for me a GSXR is just brilliant. I really dont get any aches or pains at all - no wrist ache, back ache, bum ache anything.

You're obviously not riding it properly!

wiltshire builders
26-07-12, 09:24 PM
STRETCH!

Blooming heck do you honestly do all that before you set off? :o :o

No I do it everyday.

I had a snowboard accident when I was working in Alpe d'huez and wrecked my back. I couldn't even put my socks on in the morning.
I was one of these 'tough' guys who just worked through the pain, then a friend suggested Bowen. It absolutely changed my life and now I regularly do pilates too. My back has never been stronger so all you people who this 'this is my lot' it isn't.

p.s. Chriroprators and physios are **** and a waste of money. I been to see loads and they all said the same thing 'change your job and your hobbies'

Kevinb
27-07-12, 08:46 AM
I'm ok on the MT-01 and could ride all day. My wife on the back can only manage about 30 miles before needing to stretch her legs.
The Bonnie's great (better with the Triumph gel seat). Swop the Harley for a Bonnie maybe. Riding position would be better, it's faster, won't rust as much and it's British

Jon_W
27-07-12, 09:44 AM
Most comfortable bike I've ever ridden is a Superdream!!!! Good job too as it ain't the fastest!!!!! ;D The ergonomics of it were just brilliant.

I don't find the sitting still that bad, it's the getting off at the end that's painful!!!!

Mitch9128
27-07-12, 10:02 AM

Don't go there Mitch - My ER6 is still in the workshop waiting for stupid insurance peoples to reach some agreement :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I did ride the kwaka to work daily, which is about an hour's ride and I found that by the time I reached the office things were just starting to hurt... The slightly forward riding position and the leg scrunching is not good for my back - Im held together with bits of titanium :o :o :o

For long distance I would choose the Harley every time, for commuting efficiency its the kwaka. I guess it's a fitness issue and I need to spent more time in the saddle ;)

But my god Ive got a sore backside and thighs today ;D ;D ;D ;D

ER6 isn't what i would call a sportsbike, you need to get the weight off your coccyx

cerruti
27-07-12, 12:16 PM
ER6 isn't what i would call a sportsbike,

Haha, me neither... but it's the closest Im ever going to get to one though! :D

I don't need a sportsbike, I need a bike that doesnt cripple me, and the ER6 was the best "commuter" type bike for comfort that I could find.

cerruti
27-07-12, 12:19 PM
Swop the Harley for a Bonnie maybe. Riding position would be better, it's faster, won't rust as much and it's British

I couldn't... I love the Harley far too much. I think the Bonnies are great bikes, Im a triumph fan... but I just love my harley - and it was really comfortable all day, only the last hour really I started to feel it and I guess that is just down to fitness ::)

Geordie Stu
27-07-12, 01:24 PM
Had a GSXR found it ok, wrists started to ache & lower back, Now on the Z1 no such issues ;D

Goldie
27-07-12, 02:02 PM
I love my Hornet, such a fun and comfy ride. On a side note, I'm so glad I didn't go for the cut down seat on the orange one I *almost* bought - my arse was just getting numb after that trip to Poole - it'd be a nightmare on less padding... ;D

Nikki
27-07-12, 04:43 PM
I love my Hornet, such a fun and comfy ride. On a side note, I'm so glad I didn't go for the cut down seat on the orange one I *almost* bought - my arse was just getting numb after that trip to Poole - it'd be a nightmare on less padding... ;D

Depends how much natural padding you have ;) ;D ;D ;D

Nikki
27-07-12, 04:45 PM
Had a GSXR found it ok, wrists started to ache & lower back, Now on the Z1 no such issues ;D

My theory on it is due to height...I'm quite short and I'm sure its that which helps.

Goldie
27-07-12, 05:43 PM
ahh, I need a bigger arse then ;D ;D ;D

Mitch9128
27-07-12, 06:02 PM

My theory on it is due to height...I'm quite short and I'm sure its that which helps.

Tish and piffle, i'm 6'2".

The modern stuff is a bit '600cc' size, give me early noughties gear anyday.

redken1
27-07-12, 06:23 PM

Being bald helps ;D

Swanny
27-07-12, 07:37 PM
My Zephyr was really comfy :)

Geordie Stu
28-07-12, 07:10 AM

Being bald helps ;D

It does Ken ;)

Fugazi-p
28-07-12, 07:59 AM
Gotta say the GSX1400 is super comfy. I have done up to three hour stints without a problem. Sometimes my knee gets stiff but thats cos its knackered anyway, Everyone I speak to with a 1400 really rates the comfort and ease of riding, ok so it is not the best handling bike in corners but you gotta love the power on tap, so point and squirt ;D

Swanny
28-07-12, 09:03 AM
I really like the GSX1400 and the XJR1300

goz1960
28-07-12, 09:22 AM
My new triumph tiger is great on the long distances.

off_again
28-07-12, 04:03 PM
My new triumph tiger is great on the long distances.

800 by any chance?

Just did 1000+ miles in 3 days while on a short tour of Scotland. My left leg started to ache a little after the 300+ mile mark each day, but a quick stop and stretch I am fine again. Remarkably comfortable bike for distances - which was the reason why I bought it!

But for me, a couple of things to bear in mind though, such as plenty of fluids to keep hydrated. Stop regularly and have a stretch (I was aiming for a stop at least every 100 miles or so - which is about an every 90 to 180 minutes). Plenty of shifting around too, from left to right side on the bum!

Geordie Stu
01-08-12, 09:30 AM
Having got back from the Bude trip that was the 1st long ride on my Z1000 since getting her, can report that I had no complaints or aches anywhere. 8-) :) 8-) :)

DC
02-08-12, 12:29 PM
Can ride the Bonny all day every day no problems did 3500 miles in one trip a few years ago the body was fine but the head was a bit mashed !!! :o

cerruti
02-08-12, 12:40 PM
Ive ridden the Bandit to work a few times and I know now that I made the right choice in buying the kwaka for commuting... The Bandit riding position is just ever so slightly forward for me and by the time I reach the office Im crippled.

I guess everyone is different and what suits one is not necessarily suitable for another.