PDA

View Full Version : KTM RC8

MaDMaX68
07-08-12, 04:47 PM
anyone got any info about these??

i know they are a bit out there looking, but i popped down to GRowlers! 2 see wot they had, and sat on a couple of K series gixsers as thats really what im looking for, but seen the RC8 and had to have a go, wow so comfy to sit on, the ride hieght and positioning is amazing,
seen one for sale, just wondered if theres anything i should look out for, besides being laughed down the road that is, :D

NoYou
07-08-12, 05:00 PM
Not really looked into them much, a tad out of my price and license range at the moment!!! But i've only heard good things about them.

And to be honest... even if the bike was crap i'd still want one for those looks! I love it! Proper angry looking!

MaDMaX68
07-08-12, 05:04 PM
I know, id be happy just parked up at a sandwich wagon in a lay-by just watching people nearly crash there cars going past looking at it,lol

but its just not drawing me away to anything else after seeing it for sale and especially after sitting on it, and the best things is up until just now i didnt even know it was a V twin :D

wiltshire builders
07-08-12, 05:16 PM
Fully adjustable everything! The Jap manufacturers could learn a lot. Never really sold that well. Later models are the best 2009 - on.
Quite track focused and agressive and the fueling is a little snatchy.

MaDMaX68
07-08-12, 05:19 PM
Fully adjustable everything! The Jap manufacturers could learn a lot. Never really sold that well. Later models are the best 2009 - on.
Quite track focused and agressive and the fueling is a little snatchy.
this one is a 2008., cannot afford a 2009 and above! lol
just read that there was a recall on the gearboxes for the 08's would this have been all of them? as need to check this has been done, other than that and the odd snatchy fuelling have not heard a bad thing, oh and the 6000 mile service is due

redken1
07-08-12, 05:23 PM
The rad is quite exposed. Met a chap at Abergavenny who was on a ride with his mates. He was wating for the AA relay as a stone had punctured his nearly new RC8 rad.

Maybe he was just unlucky, but it didn't look very well protected - didn't seem to be a protective grill fixed to it.

wiltshire builders
07-08-12, 05:33 PM
didn't seem to be a protective grill fixed to it.
Hahahaha welcome to the world of sports bikes, it doesn't have a centre stand either Ken!

redken1
07-08-12, 05:37 PM
didn't seem to be a protective grill fixed to it.
Hahahaha welcome to the world of sports bikes, it doesn't have a centre stand either Ken!

Is that right? Never paid much attention Dan. I know my Fazer has got a plastic guard fitted. That's a bit naughty I would say.

wiltshire builders
07-08-12, 05:46 PM
Tell me about it! I had a stone go through my rad in the middle of a forrest in Normade on one of the hottest days of the year. I swore as soon as I got back I would fit a radiator guard. 12 months later and i'm yet to do so. :-[

MaDMaX68
07-08-12, 05:51 PM
try owning a 955i triple! it was like target practice for the stones :D

i get how they all like to make money from after sales goodies for your bike. but rad guards come on. stones wernt invented weeks ago!!!

Scotty
07-08-12, 06:47 PM
Why not ask for a test ride?
I test rode one from Premier Bikes in Didcot around 2008 I think, took some getting used to, at low revs in traffic it sounded and felt like the bottom end was about to explode but improved dramatically when spinning faster. Handling and brakes were excellent, but I rode it along the same roads as I'd ridden my own bike that same day and it certainly felt (and was, by a good amount) slower than on mine. Maybe 5 years on a ZX-10 had spoilt me, I don't know. That said, they perked the engine up a bit when they updated it in 2009, and when I've encountered them on trackdays they certainly aren't slow!

MaDMaX68
07-08-12, 07:04 PM
Why not ask for a test ride?
I test rode one from Premier Bikes in Didcot around 2008 I think, took some getting used to, at low revs in traffic it sounded and felt like the bottom end was about to explode but improved dramatically when spinning faster. Handling and brakes were excellent, but I rode it along the same roads as I'd ridden my own bike that same day and it certainly felt (and was, by a good amount) slower than on mine. Maybe 5 years on a ZX-10 had spoilt me, I don't know. That said, they perked the engine up a bit when they updated it in 2009, and when I've encountered them on trackdays they certainly aren't slow!

thanks for the heads up! im well and truly enrolled in the KTM forum now lol, and as you rightly say, it seems unless its an 09 and later, you have to accessorize the 08 model to get it going in the right direction!! and given some of those are around 1k or more , i wont be affording that for a few years, so maybe its back to bidding on a Gixxer K7 i want lol

spudgun
07-08-12, 08:34 PM
Mine is for sale, due to lack of use.

MaDMaX68
07-08-12, 08:38 PM
Mine is for sale, due to lack of use.
is it!!!! the ebay auction says its ended ;D

if thats the price your asking its abit out of my pocket range ;(

and beleive it or not, going to look at astreet triple tomorrow ;) but only to test ride , even if i love it, ill still be seeing this KTM on thursday

spudgun
08-08-12, 11:25 AM
I ended it early due to a last minute holiday
It's going back on fleabay at the weekend

MaDMaX68
08-08-12, 12:42 PM
I ended it early due to a last minute holiday
It's going back on fleabay at the weekend

ahh ok, hope it sells for you :)

i took a street triple out today, 1st mile out the dealership i nearly took it back, but gave it a chance, and have to say the best urban fun you can have, not to shabby on the motorway either,,, but for me lacks abit of grunt, and actaully had a sit on an RC8 in the showroom, just reminded me that i need something a bit more comfy ;)

so gonna get a speed triple, sod it,,,

Senna(Dan)
08-08-12, 01:04 PM
Consider the triple R if your budget stretches that bit further. The bay have got a few new ones at standard prices, or there are some nice ones available about the 4.5k mark.

MaDMaX68
08-08-12, 01:19 PM
Consider the triple if your budget stretches that bit further. The bay have got a few new ones at standard prices, or there are some nice ones available about the 4.5k mark.

thanks. looking now, least with the triple, it doesnt matter how basic the bike is, most of the addons are cheap as chips especailly compaired to KTM'S!! so can consentrate on getting the tidiest one with the lowest mileage :)