PDA

View Full Version : In hunt of fun!

NoYou
07-08-12, 05:17 PM
I've had the CB500 for 3 days now and done a good 600 miles already. I can honestly say i've never had more fun, despite it raining every time i've gone out!

Since i first started riding 3 years ago i've been riding focused sports bikes, An Aprilia RS 125, and a FZR 400. Both exceptionally good bikes! Even when i was scaring myself witless i wasn't even close to the limit on them. Anything I could do, the bike could do better.

Coming down the a338 this morning i realised why the CB is so much more fun than the others! This road was great fun on both the sports bikes. I could chuck them in roll on the throttle and blast out of the corner, the bike wouldn't so much as twitch. The CB, i can chuck it in just the same but as i roll on the throttle and the back gets a bit jittery, in the wet it slides, yet i still come out the other side and i have the biggest of grins on my face which i never got with the others!

It is this very fact that makes it more fun! With the sports bike i could throw anything at it and it would just carry on, with the CB i can actually get to the limit of the bike! (As it stands at the moment anyway!)

I've always idolised the supersport Ducatis and kwakas etc. but now, having ridden this bouncy, floppy and unpredictable lump of a bike, i've finally figured it out! Its not how good the bike is, its how well it matches your ability to ride it!

Swanny
07-08-12, 06:28 PM
The designer of the McLaren F1 road car reckons it's more fun driving his orginal Fiat 500 :)

Senna(Dan)
08-08-12, 05:50 AM
Well it sounds like you will be exploring the wonderful world of mid range obscurity Dan. I must say, having test ridden a few sports bikes before I found them always wanting more from me. The XJ6 is very similar and I love it, I'm no Rossi and will never reach the limits of the Senna but will give it a good go.

Mark_Able
08-08-12, 08:51 PM
Hey George, you've found biking Nirvana. Being comfortable and at one with the bike is sooo much fun. The reason so many people did not like the original R1 was because it was so far beyond their capabilities. The answer is to either make yourself a better rider to try and match it's abilities, or to concede and buy yourself a bike that was more akin to your riding style. The only way to be happy with your riding is to find a bike that perfectly suits. As much as I adored my old R1, the one bike that did it for me was an imported Yamaha TZR250 reverse cylinder. The moment I rode it, I felt like I could do exactly what I wanted on it. It didn't scare the bejesus out of me even when it went into a two wheel drift through one bend. Then I remembered it wasn't my bike... :-[ :o ::)

Jon_W
09-08-12, 08:08 AM
Never wanted to go any better than the SV for that reason. Can't ride the Sv to it's limits so what's the point in getting a faster bike. Used to love the superdreams for the fun you could have at legal speeds.... skinny tyres, soft suspension, marginal frame, no power.... twisty road..... WINNER!!!! :D

Swanny
09-08-12, 08:59 AM
Honda CB500 (1994-2003)
N/A

499cc, 57bhp, 120mph, Insurance group 9

The Honda CB500 is a first big motorcycle you’ll never want to sell. It’s huge fun because it’s so confidence-inspiring, meaning you can take it anywhere and it’ll make you feel you can push your limits. Very competent: commuters and couriers love Honda CB500s for their reliability and all-round, top-notch performance. In all aspects, the Honda CB500's a winner.

Dan505
09-08-12, 02:43 PM
Enjoy it mate, sounds like your having a blast 8-)