PDA

View Full Version : Ear plugs

Swanny
13-08-12, 11:56 AM
After the ride out to Minehead I was even more deafer than normal so I'm looking at getting some ear plugs.
I have some free foam ones that I was given at one of the bikesafe days and did try using them the other day but I don't think they are up to much.

I did see the bloke that squirts silicone in your ear at a show, they look very good but expensive at about £50

Mould your own custom earplugs https://www.amazon.co.uk/Proguard-MYO-Mould-custom-earplugs/dp/B006ZLF9EU seem to be the same just a DIY job.

These seem quite good for the money
http://www.comfyearplugs.com/alpine-motosafe-earplugs.html

What do you use??

Pardon??? :-/

redken1
13-08-12, 12:16 PM
Swanny, I always wear them as I have defective hearing.

B&Q orange plugs are well priced and I find they work well.

For those who may not have used them before, a few tips which you may find helpful;

1 Pull the upper ear lightly backwards and upwards so that the external auditory canal will be opened.

2 Squeeze the ear-plug to a small stick shape and push lightly into the canal.

This is very important – the plugs should be removed from the ears very slowly as sudden removal could damage the ear drum.

Col
13-08-12, 12:23 PM
:o £50 astounding amount of neck to charge that.

Bung some blu-tac in or combine with bit of cotton wool.
Them plugs £3/20 are ok.

Got a loud exhaust have you?

Last Train
13-08-12, 12:26 PM
I never ride without ear plugs.

I've been using the oxford foam plugs recently, you get a little box jobby to keep em in too.

:)

For those who may not have used them before, a few tips which you may find helpful;

1 Pull the upper ear lightly backwards and upwards so that the external auditory canal will be opened.

2 Squeeze the ear-plug to a small stick shape and push lightly into the canal.

This is very important – the plugs should be removed from the ears very slowly as sudden removal could damage the ear drum.

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/signs/smiley-vault-signs-016.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

Swanny
13-08-12, 12:37 PM
Found some good reviews here http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/ear-plug-review-2009.htm

and here http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/earplugs/

Yea my pipe seems to be getting louder :-/

NoYou
13-08-12, 12:49 PM
I just just the cheap foam earplugs like £5 for 25 pairs or something from halfrauds.never had a problem with em and I don't have to spend another 50 quid when I lose one!!!

Nikki
13-08-12, 02:05 PM
I never ride without ear plugs.

I've been using the oxford foam plugs recently, you get a little box jobby to keep em in too.

Me too - I generally pick up a pack when I'm in Fowlers.

Tried quite a few and these for me seem the most comfortable.

Wes
13-08-12, 04:37 PM
Always ride with plugs in mate, too loud without em, i can get some decent plugs from work if you want to try them, its also in the fitment, they need to go right into the ear with little showing, hope this helps :)

DC
13-08-12, 05:18 PM
Have always used earplugs usually get the orange ones from B+Q :)

Nelson
13-08-12, 05:38 PM
There are some tutorials on utube re. the proper way
to fit them...Makes a huge difference!

Snowy
13-08-12, 06:04 PM
Never use ear plugs as I like to hear my high quality sound system and I bought the quietest of quiet helmets ;D I'll more likely go deaf from the rock'n roll not the windnoise or exhaust note. Plus I've never understood peeps who want a nice fruity sounding can coz it sounds good and then put earplugs in :-?

Swanny
13-08-12, 06:10 PM
Always ride with plugs in mate, too loud without em, i can get some decent plugs from work if you want to try them, its also in the fitment, they need to go right into the ear with little showing, hope this helps :)
That would be great thanks :)

I don't think I would wear them all the time, just on longer journeys

goz1960
13-08-12, 06:46 PM
Never use ear plugs as I like to hear my high quality sound system and I bought the quietest of quiet helmets ;D I'll more likely go deaf from the rock'n roll not the windnoise or exhaust note. Plus I've never understood peeps who want a nice fruity sounding can coz it sounds good and then put earplugs in :-?

Pardon ;)

Scotty
13-08-12, 07:33 PM
I've ridden with ear plugs in since 1987, the only time I don't bother with them is when off-roading as I'm not travelling fast enough for wind noise to be an issue, but always use them all the time on road or track.
I've tried most types over the years (except the made-to-measure ones) and the ones I like best are the yellow & pink ones (no idea of the brand name), and in addition to Ken's tips for inserting them, when you've rolled them into a thin "stick", lick before inserting as they slide into place much more easily and don't scrunch up due to friction in your earhole.

People often claim not to wear earplugs because they "want to hear the bike", which in reality is bollocks as all you can hear over 70-odd is wind roar, and it's at a level that you wouldn't be allowed to work in without ear protection, so do yourselves a favour peeps, save your hearing...

Loops
13-08-12, 08:00 PM
Swanny, I've used the Alpine Music safe ear plugs for several years. They're just like the motosafe ones you linked to, but aimed at musicians - you get 3 filters instead of 2 which is a bonus.

I use the medium for the bike and high for gigs and clubs (and loud bikes!). I even use the low filter at the cinema as I find it too loud ;D

Nelly
13-08-12, 08:03 PM
I find The ones they sell in GM Stevens are damn good. Couple of quid for a tube, money well spent.

Goldie
13-08-12, 08:08 PM
I always use them on long journeys and when I remember on short ones too. I got mine on fleabay, bag of 30 pairs, I think, for around £8

Pardon? ;D

redken1
13-08-12, 08:17 PM

Did you not notice how ugly some of the factory fitted exhausts are to meet new emission laws Graeme? My Fazer exhaust epitomized ugliness for me.

I wouldn’t be too happy if Cheryl Cole jumped in to the bed next to me wearing a Burka.
;) :D [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Off topic I know, but hope you got the BM sorted. What was it?

Snowy
13-08-12, 08:27 PM

Did you not notice how ugly some of the factory fitted exhausts are to meet new emission laws Graeme? My Fazer exhaust epitomized ugliness for me.

I wouldn’t be too happy if Cheryl Cole jumped in to the bed next to me wearing a Burka.
;) :D [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Off topic I know, but hope you got the BM sorted. What was it?

As far as looks are concerned I completely agree. Just back from the garage and it looks like the Power Commander has given up the ghost and its 15 months old so out of warranty. Should have stuck with BMW issue after all ;D I have just removed it and put the fuel injection back to standard and the engine's running like a peach. I'm going to have a play with the diagnostics pc to make sure but that seems to be what failed :)

redken1
13-08-12, 08:36 PM
I've ridden with ear plugs in since 1987, the only time I don't bother with them is when off-roading as I'm not travelling fast enough for wind noise to be an issue, but always use them all the time on road or track.
I've tried most types over the years (except the made-to-measure ones) and the ones I like best are the yellow & pink ones (no idea of the brand name), and in addition to Ken's tips for inserting them, when you've rolled them into a thin "stick", lick before inserting as they slide into place much more easily and don't scrunch up due to friction in your earhole.

People often claim not to wear earplugs because they "want to hear the bike", which in reality is bollocks as all you can hear over 70-odd is wind roar, and it's at a level that you wouldn't be allowed to work in without ear protection, so do yourselves a favour peeps, save your hearing...

Sound advice I can only echo. Sometimes I feel isolated at social gatherings due to my defective hearing caused mainly by subjecting my ears to high noise levels for long periods. Can be frustrating.
That’s why I enjoy writing so much because it enables me to engage with others on a level playing field.

Thorkill_The_Tall
13-08-12, 09:19 PM
Just coming up to twenty past nine.....

Swanny
13-08-12, 10:08 PM
Just coming up to twenty past nine.....
Sorry you'll have to speak up a bit :-?

Senna(Dan)
14-08-12, 05:43 AM
I have tried several brands of ear plugs, I have found that the best ones are the ones I can get from work. They are made by a company called E.A.R, how ironic!
They work perfectly on the bike, probably because they are designed to block out aircraft drone and loud sudden noises.
Tried the Oxford ones, George Whites had a load for 20p a pack so gave them a whirl, they were good but just didn't quite cut it.
Have been given a new set to try out so will let yopu know on my return how good they are.

Swanny
15-08-12, 10:51 AM
I tried them on the way to and from from Poole yesterday :-/

I must have jammed them into deep to start with as I couldn't hear a bloody thing, couldn't even hear myself speak which made for a boring ride as I had no one to talk to, but after a while they loosened up a bit and the conversation flowed :D :D

They are ok for a while but start to hurt after about an hour. Think I may get some of the reusable ones and use them for longer rides

Thanks for all the advice :)

Ade
15-08-12, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Ear ... a bit pricey but so comfortable and soft .. as the name suggests "Squidgy" .... the best !!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

http://www.ultimateear.com/products/squidgy.php

They also do more expensive ones with micro speakers inserted !!

Jon_W
16-08-12, 08:11 AM
Have never managed to get on with ear plugs. I just find the quietest helmet possible.

Sharik
16-08-12, 02:52 PM
You may wish to try a range of earplugs, several companies offer sample packs for sale, for example:

http://www.enhancedlistening.co.uk/Sample-Earplug-Packs/Motorcycle-Sample-Earplugs/p-435-1745/

I have no link to the company, however I purchased something similar years ago and it helped to identify what type of plug was most effective and comforatble.

Jonesy94
16-08-12, 05:16 PM
im quite lucky, work at Honda so normally just grab a handful when i leave, they're only cheap foam ones but they do the trick, also have a pair of motrax ones that i got free with my grips :L they seem to drown everything out can barely hear anything but find that they're slightly longer than the ones i use from honda, so if you push them all the way in, you'll end up with a splitting headache.
the only way to find out is try them, obviously start as cheap as possible, but you get what you pay for

Swanny
16-08-12, 05:59 PM
I went into Bath and bought some Alpine WorkSafe plugs for £13 from the hearing aid shop near the little green bit
http://www.alpinehearingprotection.co.uk/consumer_worksafe.htm

They are very comfy and do let some noise through
They are much easier to put in than the foam ones I tried

Dan505
16-08-12, 11:18 PM
or you could go extreme these (http://search.diy.com/search?p=R&srid=S8-UKSR01&lbc=diy&w=Ear%20Protection&url=http%3a%2f%2 fwww.diy.com%2fnav%2ffix%2fhandtools-storage-workwear%2fprotective-clothing-safety-equipment%2fear-protection%2fB-and-Q-Standard-Ear-Defenders-Red-Black-12389453%2312910157&rk=3&uid=552081824&sid=2&ts=aj ax&rsc=D-lBBHLAC:Lj9YP9&method=and&isort=score&view=grid&re durl=%2fnav%2ffix%2fhandtools-storage-workwear%2fprotective-clothing-safety-equipment%2fear-protection%2fB-and-Q-Standard-Ear-Defenders-Red-Black-12389453&ref=www.diy.com) :D

voodoo
17-08-12, 11:32 PM
or you could go extreme these (http://search.diy.com/search?p=R&srid=S8-UKSR01&lbc=diy&w=Ear%20Protection&url=http%3a%2f%2 fwww.diy.com%2fnav%2ffix%2fhandtools-storage-workwear%2fprotective-clothing-safety-equipment%2fear-protection%2fB-and-Q-Standard-Ear-Defenders-Red-Black-12389453%2312910157&rk=3&uid=552081824&sid=2&ts=aj ax&rsc=D-lBBHLAC:Lj9YP9&method=and&isort=score&view=grid&re durl=%2fnav%2ffix%2fhandtools-storage-workwear%2fprotective-clothing-safety-equipment%2fear-protection%2fB-and-Q-Standard-Ear-Defenders-Red-Black-12389453&ref=www.diy.com) :D
be interesting getting your helmet on over those bad boys ;D

Dan505
17-08-12, 11:34 PM
open face and have the band across your forehead, sorted :P

voodoo
17-08-12, 11:36 PM
open face and have the band across your forehead, sorted :P
;D ;D ;D