PDA

View Full Version : Bob Missen's (Melksham) Has not closed

alanTDM
21-08-12, 08:46 PM
After many decades in the bike buisness Bob Missen's in Melksham is closing in aprox 2-3 weeks time.
This is due to the fact of health/buisness overall.
Gregg his mechanic is very seriously ill aswell and might not recover.
However i have been told that he has a buyer for the shop and will continue with motorcycles but to what exstent i do not know I beleive the guy who is taking over the buisness is Simon Amore(if spelt right).
Thats all i know at the mo.
Its sad that another local bike shop is going, have used them for the last 20 years for tyres and parts etc,lets hope the new owner can make it viable.

Nikki
21-08-12, 09:16 PM
After many decades in the bike buisness Bob Missen's in Melksham is closing in aprox 2-3 weeks time.
This is due to the fact of health/buisness overall.
Gregg his mechanic is very seriously ill aswell and might not recover.
However i have been told that he has a buyer for the shop and will continue with motorcycles but to what exstent i do not know I beleive the guy who is taking over the buisness is Simon Amore(if spelt right).
Thats all i know at the mo.
Its sad that another local bike shop is going, have used them for the last 20 years for tyres and parts etc,lets hope the new owner can make it viable.

That's really sad news indeed.

I havent been there for years now but used to go there all the time when I lived in Melksham.

I must admit I didnt even know they still had a shop - thought that went years ago. I knew they still had the workshop and thought that was all they had.

Swanny
21-08-12, 09:23 PM
Sad to see another going :(

GM Stevens are downsizing as well. The grumpy one said they might be online only soon.

Nelly
21-08-12, 09:33 PM
I did hear about BMs about 2 months ago. So not entirely surprised. :( :(

silly_simon
21-08-12, 10:04 PM
Bummer :( :( :(

Thats where I purchased my first motorcycle

A Yammy RXS 100 in Blue

Col
22-08-12, 12:01 AM
I did hear about BMs about 2 months ago. So not entirely surprised. :( :(

Yeah before that even

Didn't know Gregg is ill--he retired and was working part time.

Thought there was a buyer which seems confirmed here

BB
22-08-12, 07:18 AM
Sorry to hear about Greg, hope all goes ok for him. Shame about Missens too.

BB

Jon_W
22-08-12, 07:56 AM
Blimey..... Missens have been about for years. Sad news.

Stevens have been struggling for a couple of years. The machine shop out the back has been making the money rather than th shop.

Thorkill_The_Tall
22-08-12, 09:56 PM
Blimey..... Missens have been about for years. Sad news.

Stevens have been struggling for a couple of years. The machine shop out the back has been making the money rather than th shop.

Steve told me last week that they were winding down the machine shop.
The govenment contracts for fasteners has more or less dried up over the last couple of years and less and less people are bothering to upgrade their own fasteners.
Added to this, the machinery is old and getting more and more prone to break down and just not worth fixing.
If you want Imperial fasteners in the future, it's going to get pretty hard to find them.
Steve's using up his remaining stock and when they're gone, that'll be it.
From him, anyway.

SupeRDel
23-08-12, 12:20 AM
I used to visit him in the old shop in the 70's. Got some of my Yamaha brochures from him in my collection

He was there before Taylors started and lasted longer

Imperial bolts are redily available from most stockists

wheelers
23-08-12, 12:25 PM
second post so thought I would add my bit. we were talking to Keith 6 months ago about moving into the shop. had reservations about location compared to where we are, main road seemed better and more parking. unfortunately its now going to a couple of guys to do lawn mowers from. only short term. saw Keith tuesday and he is packing up to sell off stock at auto jumbles. problem for us now is our landlord died a month ago and looks like we will be homeless soon. thinking of dropping back in to Missens but the mower men look set from 3rd sept.

Bob Missen
05-05-15, 01:05 PM
Hello

Just to update this as there has been a few question regarding Keith and the Business, In September 2012 myself Simon Amor took over Bob Missen's and also added on my other business S A Engineering to the premises. S A Engineering was based in Chippenham working on Motorcycles and garden machinery.
I have know Keith for many years since i was a child and he know about my business in Chippenham and offered the company to me as he know my work and that i could offer something different to to company and to Melksham, Now almost 3 years later we are still very busy all year round and with the very said loss of Keith not so long ago we will strive and work on to make him proud.
If you have not been to see us since the change over, we are still located down Watsons Court, and in the showroom and stock a range of everything from New & 2nd Hand Motorcycles, Bicycles and Garden Machinery to all the part and accessories you need, and please visit our website www.s-a-engineering.co.uk or our facebook page www.facebook.com/BobMissenAndSAEngineering.

Thank you

BB
05-05-15, 08:25 PM
Good to hear the place is still being used as it ought to be. :) Keep up the good work.

Col
10-05-15, 10:34 AM
RIP Keith :(
Helped me out loads of times with his knowledge and enjoyed plenty of chats.
Wish I had known as would have paid respects.