PDA

View Full Version : New era for 400cc sports bikes?

voodoo
09-08-12, 09:18 PM
Has anyone heard the rumour that Honda are looking to produce a 400cc version of the CBR?

Apparently there was an article in a Japanese magazine claiming that Honda is due to bring back the CBR400R in order to offer a wider choice to customers

I guess that this would be a good fit in between the 250 and 600 for those wanting to move to an out and out racer, or even for those with the new style A2 licence coming in next year

It all seems to be rumours at the moment but if it's true then I'm not convinced that it would replicate the world of 400's from the mid 90's :-/

jD
10-08-12, 09:07 PM
would be good if they're 400cc two strokes :D:D:D:D:D

Senna(Dan)
10-08-12, 09:09 PM
Would be an ideal place to hit the market as there is currently nothing out there that is new. This may be influenced by the new test, but will it be docile and easy to ride or not for newbies.
The market seems to go through phases, but I would be tempted to buy Caz a CBR400r if it as small as the pocket rockets of the 90s.
Guessing they are going to go down the inline 4 route rather than a V twin?

voodoo
10-08-12, 09:48 PM
the rumours would seem to suggest a parallel twin but I'm hoping for a 4 8-)

Maz
13-08-12, 06:03 PM
Hope they are low enough!

5 ft 3 and all I can mainly fit on are cruisers!

Kermzy
13-08-12, 07:40 PM
I expect this is probably something to do with the new categories for learning riders

Since next year you cant go above 400cc until the age of 24

Jonesy94
16-08-12, 05:56 PM
if rumors are true and they are planing on building another 400, then hopefully they will go down the in-line 4 route and make it worthwhile building, i have veered away from v-twins after riding an SV-650 -_- was the most underwhelming ride of my life...............and im only 18 lol ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jon_W
17-08-12, 09:46 AM
Fo a new rider the twin would be a better option..... I'd prefer the twin to a 18k screamer.....

Swanny
17-08-12, 11:46 AM
400 Four 8-)

Kevinb
17-08-12, 01:03 PM
Has anyone heard the rumour that Honda are looking to produce a 400cc version of the CBR?

Apparently there was an article in a Japanese magazine claiming that Honda is due to bring back the CBR400R in order to offer a wider choice to customers

I guess that this would be a good fit in between the 250 and 600 for those wanting to move to an out and out racer, or even for those with the new style A2 licence coming in next year

It all seems to be rumours at the moment but if it's true then I'm not convinced that it would replicate the world of 400's from the mid 90's :-/

Stick 4 of them together and you're just short of the capacity of an MT-01

Kevinb
17-08-12, 01:04 PM
400 Four 8-)

I always liked the late 70's 400 dream (better looking than the superdream)

Jon_W
17-08-12, 03:15 PM
400 Four 8-)

I always liked the late 70's 400 dream (better looking than the superdream)

Shame the engine had a nasty habit of dropping valves....... with the superdream engine the Hawk as the 400T was renamed was vey sucessful in America

Nikki
17-08-12, 03:24 PM
if rumors are true and they are planing on building another 400, then hopefully they will go down the in-line 4 route and make it worthwhile building, i have veered away from v-twins after riding an SV-650 -_- was the most underwhelming ride of my life...............and im only 18 lol ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think you either love or hate V-twins. Although I ride an inline 4 now I love V-twin sports bikes. My little VTR 1000 was great fun, really miss it.

Jonesy94
17-08-12, 03:32 PM

I think you either love or hate V-twins. Although I ride an inline 4 now I love V-twin sports bikes. My little VTR 1000 was great fun, really miss it.

i suppose, personally im not a big fan, but yeah, its personal choice. who cares what you ride? as long as you ride ;D ;D

goz1960
17-08-12, 06:44 PM

I loved my Sv650 :o :o

Jon_W
21-08-12, 01:22 PM

Still have mine. No plans to get rid of it. Great bikes!! 8-)

Dan505
21-08-12, 03:10 PM
V-Twins rock! i can pull away from 4th on mine! not that i fudge a gear change that much ::)

Scotty
21-08-12, 06:12 PM
The old '90s Supersport 400s were good for beginners in terms only of size and weight, the stratospheric rev ceilings, lots of clutch slip and extreme riding positions really aren't sympathetic for most newbies, testosterone-charged 19-year olds aside. If it's a move driven by licensing laws they'd do better by emulating some of the lesser-known Japan-only 400s of the past, like the Honda Bros or the SV (though that shared the chassis of the original 650 so it's not particularly small) - slim, light, comfortable bikes with flexible power deliveries are what newbies need :)

alanTDM
21-08-12, 08:03 PM
I dont think it will be a V twin or a parallel twin like the old Triumph's, but rather a inline twin with a 270' crank that way they would get a similar firing order of a V twin with the torque and the frame could be kept shorter aswell and there would be no need to rev the nuts off it to get anywhere.

Oh and if anybody is interested there is a Black cbr400 being sold at Bob Missens in Melksham for £2K dont know reg or mileage.

voodoo
21-08-12, 09:42 PM
I definitely agree that it'll have something to do with the new licensing laws but I can't imagine they'll be as raucus as the 90s versions, more torquey like the singles nowadays I should imagine

Think I'll be hanging on for a 600 once the restriction's gone, not like it's any time soon though :-[

Jonesy94
22-08-12, 03:12 AM

Still have mine. No plans to get rid of it. Great bikes!! 8-)

oh dont get me wrong, they arent terrible bikes, just not my cup of te, but then again i did test it after stepping off my dads zx9r soooo....... handling was "alright" aand was comfortable just felt like it was lacking something.
but thats MY opinion and it shouldnt put anyone else off, i imagine it would make a superb commuter?

Jon_W
22-08-12, 07:58 AM
I dont think it will be a V twin or a parallel twin like the old Triumph's, but rather a inline twin with a 270' crank that way they would get a similar firing order of a V twin with the torque and the frame could be kept shorter aswell and there would be no need to rev the nuts off it to get anywhere.

Oh and if anybody is interested there is a Black cbr400 being sold at Bob Missens in Melksham for £2K dont know reg or mileage.

Doubt it would be that complex. Either a plain single, parallel twin or a V twin based on an existing engine. Keep em cheap for the young riders.

croscom
26-08-12, 10:56 AM
I got a '79 Suzuki GS425E runabout commuter, does that count? LOL