PDA

View Full Version : I cant decide...

A13X4ND7A
22-08-12, 09:31 AM
I can't decide if I should get some sort of 125 to ride about on and gain experience before doing my Test or if I just try and do my test with some training.

Anyone got any advice on which route I should go? ::)

Dabz
22-08-12, 09:49 AM
With the test changing in Jan 2013 I'd say get it over and done with asap! You have the benefit of living with an IAM observer so you should have no problems at all with experience and post-test learning :D

A13X4ND7A
22-08-12, 09:54 AM
Rob said the test doesn't affect me anyway even though its changing?

lol yes true I live with an IAM observer but I cant ride his bike out so I still cant really get any experience before taking the test and I seem to be terrified of corners... and getting worse.. even as a pillion :-/

I dont know, one min I think I ought to just get on and do test but then I panic that I'll fail due to lack of experience and then I think I ought to ride a small bike and then think its probably a waste of money buying it as I want to ride a bigger bike lol :(

Dabz
22-08-12, 09:58 AM
hmm yeh good point, you may be right! :)

The DAS isn't too scary - I passed mine after never having ridden a bike before, did 2 days on a 125 (1 of which was the CBT, 2 days on a 500 then the test. You'd be amazed how much experience you get after a few days of solid riding

Another thing to consider - 125s are more expensive than bigger bikes in a lot of cases because they're sought after by learners and for the fuel economy

Nikki
22-08-12, 10:01 AM
I can't decide if I should get some sort of 125 to ride about on and gain experience before doing my Test or if I just try and do my test with some training.

This is where I'm going to sound very old but back in the dim distant past all I can say is the year I had zooming around on my 50cc and the next 6 months on my Suzuki GP100 were invaluable. I know a huge amount has changed since 1980 something, including much better training, but I really learnt so much in that time without having the power to get me into serious trouble and am glad of that time I had now looking back.

A very difficult decision not helped by the ridiculous legislation learners have to endure now.

Maybe a chat with someone like Mark Able would help? I dont know him myself but I know he's helped a lot of bikers here and certainly seems very helpful.

A13X4ND7A
22-08-12, 10:27 AM
hmm yeh good point, you may be right! :)

The DAS isn't too scary - I passed mine after never having ridden a bike before, did 2 days on a 125 (1 of which was the CBT, 2 days on a 500 then the test. You'd be amazed how much experience you get after a few days of solid riding

Another thing to consider - 125s are more expensive than bigger bikes in a lot of cases because they're sought after by learners and for the fuel economy

This is what gives me the confidence to think I can go and do it. The first time Id rode a bike was when I did my CBT and although I was shakey to start with by the end Id really got the hang and felt confident enough to want to go out alone.

This is where I'm going to sound very old but back in the dim distant past all I can say is the year I had zooming around on my 50cc and the next 6 months on my Suzuki GP100 were invaluable. I know a huge amount has changed since 1980 something, including much better training, but I really learnt so much in that time without having the power to get me into serious trouble and am glad of that time I had now looking back.

A very difficult decision not helped by the ridiculous legislation learners have to endure now.

Maybe a chat with someone like Mark Able would help? I dont know him myself but I know he's helped a lot of bikers here and certainly seems very helpful.

This is where I come into conflict with the above because I wonder if I am better off getting confidence and experience by riding around like this first.

I cant afford to have loads of rider training with an instructor neither.

Argh the choices! If I do go for the DAS I want to do it by winter at least but I was told I have to ride to Bristol for my Mod1 and the thought of that after only a lil ride around trowbridge and westbury on a 125 for 2 hours scared the sh*t into me which made me think I'm clearly not ready :/

Swanny
22-08-12, 11:08 AM
Sounds to me that you're best option is to get a 125 and take your time.
But if you're terrified of corners then maybe motorcycling isn't for you?? :-/

goz1960
22-08-12, 11:12 AM
Sounds to me that you're best option is to get a 125 and take your time.
But if you're terrified of corners then maybe motorcycling isn't for you?? :-/

Maybe spend some time on a 125 and gain some confidence then after gaining this experience see if you think biking is for you?.

A13X4ND7A
22-08-12, 11:15 AM
Yeah your both right, maybe motorcycling isnt for me.
I only got nervous because I was worried I was gonna end up going straight on when Im riding and as a pillion I worry Im gonna fall off!
Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Senna(Dan)
22-08-12, 11:50 AM
My wife was the same as you in the fact that she was a very nervous rider after her CBT, we have invested in a 125 and now she goes out on it every oppourtunity.
Her instructor is impressed with her road craft and I think it helps if your partner will follow you down the road to give you that confidence boost as well, I know Caz loves going out with me because I sit behind her and keep an eye on the traffic.
Some people are born to do everything right first time and never fail, for us mortals we plod along and learn things in our own ways.
Each to their own but I did 18 months CBT then my test and I learnt alot of road skills in that time and it helped me pass.

A13X4ND7A
22-08-12, 12:04 PM
yeah that's what I was thinking was the better option perhaps.

I actually wanted to ride a motorcycle more than I did a car when I was 16/17 but wasn't allowed and if I recall I was very very nervous about driving a car, but 6 weeks after I turned 17 I took test and passed.

I suppose if I can get over that at that age, 11 years later I was hoping I can get over being nervous on a bike but I not sure now. like the last people said if I'm scared of cornering then really maybe its not for me.

:-/

Geordie Stu
22-08-12, 12:08 PM
With the test changing in Jan 2013 I'd say get it over and done with asap! You have the benefit of living with an IAM observer so you should have no problems at all with experience and post-test learning :D

100% agree :)

A13X4ND7A
22-08-12, 12:17 PM

Changes don't affect me and my IAM Observer boyfriend cant teach me on the roads until after I passed my test... kinda doesnt help the situation really :(

Geordie Stu
22-08-12, 12:19 PM

Changes don't affect me and my IAM Observer boyfriend cant teach me on the roads until after I passed my test... kinda doesnt help the situation really :(

What...! He's not allowed to follow you & assist you or give advise ::)

A13X4ND7A
22-08-12, 12:24 PM
well he could if I was riding around on a 125... hence why I asked if thats what I should buy to gain experience or go do my tests and buy the bike I want :)

Geordie Stu
22-08-12, 12:31 PM
well he could if I was riding around on a 125... hence why I asked if thats what I should buy to gain experience or go do my tests and buy the bike I want :)

I'd get a 125 & get as many miles done as you can before your test :)

Harry87
22-08-12, 12:32 PM
I would definitely advise starting on a 125cc and become comfortable with life on 2-wheels. I rode 3 months on a 125cc before taking my test and it really gave me the confidence to get through the process quickly and stress free. If you rush into taking DAS, you may find it costing you more if you do not pass first time.

Take Vivi, as a case study - maybe she has taken her time to upgrade from a 125 to a 500, but at least she has complete confidence in her riding ability now and rides around with us on our 600s all the time. I never see the point in rushing these things, and you can have so much fun on a 125cc and they are favoured by beginners for a reason!

Scotty
22-08-12, 12:38 PM
I've written this numerous times previously but it's always worth reiterating. I'd advise getting a 125 whether you're doing DAS or not, and riding it at every opportunity, whatever you're doing or wherever you're going. That way you'll get to practice what you've been taught and the more you ride, the more relaxed and confident you'll become, far better than an hour or so every week or fortnight with an instructor and nothing more.

Sure, 125s fetch a premium for what they are, but as long as you don't wreck it you'll easily get it back again afterwards - it's a very useful short-term investment.

Don't let anyone tell you that biking isn't for you - you'll have to do enough of it for yourself to make that decision, and if you want to do it enough then it will be for you and you'll have the resolve to make it so.

Right, get on with it then... ;)

cerruti
22-08-12, 12:39 PM
Alex I can totally relate to your original post as I was in exactly the same position as you 4 months ago, here's my story...

My other half has ridden bikes for years and after a break he's just got back into it and I was curious...

Having never ridden a bike before I booked in to do my CBT on the Saturday, Mod 1 training on the Sunday and Mod 1 Test on the Monday.

CBT was ok on the 125 although I was nervous.

Mod 1 training day was horrendous, pooped my pants completely on the 600.

Mod 1 Test day, Mark (Mr Able) dropped me down from the 600 to the 500 but I still pooped myself - I couldnt even keep up with him and the other pupil on the way to Bristol as I was so scared I was holding the traffic up and taking the corners at 20mph (I kid you not!).

At McDonalds coffee stop (Mandatory on any ride out with Mark!) I completely lost it and chickened out of doing the test - I was even petrified knowing that I had to ride the bike back to Trowbridge!

I was so cross with myself for chickening out as Im not normally a quitter, but I knew that I wasnt safe on a bike, not for my own safety, or for other road users.

So the next morning I popped down to Phoenix and bought a 125. At first I was terrified but I persevered. It helped that my partner accompanied me on his bike which really helped with my confidence. I rode that little bike at every opportunity and in 4 weeks I clocked up 2500 miles. At the the end of 4 weeks I was throwing that little 125 around like an old hand, cornering on rails (ok not quite, slight exaggeration but you get my point ;D)... I was totally in love with biking and I wanted more.

So, I rebooked a days training with Mark and went off and did my mod 1 on my own bike and passed. It helped that I took my own bike as I was comfortable and familiar with it. Yes it means Im restricted, but for me personally, it was the only way I was going to do it.

I booked up for my mod 2 a week later and ordered my new rides ;D

Passed my mod 2 and came home to my new bikes...

I was really sad to see the 125 go, it had built my confidence and given me valuable experience, but it was time to move on and up.

I now ride a Kawasaki ER6f to Bristol every day (for work) and a Harley Sportster XL 1200 custom for lols.

Both bikes are restricted, but I cant tell the difference as Ive never ridden them unrestricted :D

I absolutely love them to bits and Im still gaining experience and confidence all the time. I certainly have never looked back.

What worked for me may not necessarily work for everyone as we are all different. Which ever path you choose, good luck and have fun. If you want to talk to me more feel free to PM me. Im happy to meet up and ride out with you if you do decide to go down the 125 route as it helps to have someone with you I feel.

Biking isn't for everyone, but don't give up until you know you are sure.

Ps, just read this back and didn't realise it was such a long one, sorry! ::)

Jon_W
22-08-12, 01:13 PM
I didn't bother. Just got straight on with the test. Didn't see the point really as you'll gain what you need with an instructor on the bike you are going to do the test on and not gain any bad habits in between.

A13X4ND7A
22-08-12, 01:25 PM
Alex I can totally relate to your original post as I was in exactly the same position as you 4 months ago, here's my story...

My other half has ridden bikes for years and after a break he's just got back into it and I was curious...

Having never ridden a bike before I booked in to do my CBT on the Saturday, Mod 1 training on the Sunday and Mod 1 Test on the Monday.

CBT was ok on the 125 although I was nervous.

Mod 1 training day was horrendous, pooped my pants completely on the 600.

Mod 1 Test day, Mark (Mr Able) dropped me down from the 600 to the 500 but I still pooped myself - I couldnt even keep up with him and the other pupil on the way to Bristol as I was so scared I was holding the traffic up and taking the corners at 20mph (I kid you not!).

At McDonalds coffee stop (Mandatory on any ride out with Mark!) I completely lost it and chickened out of doing the test - I was even petrified knowing that I had to ride the bike back to Trowbridge!

I was so cross with myself for chickening out as Im not normally a quitter, but I knew that I wasnt safe on a bike, not for my own safety, or for other road users.

So the next morning I popped down to Phoenix and bought a 125. At first I was terrified but I persevered. It helped that my partner accompanied me on his bike which really helped with my confidence. I rode that little bike at every opportunity and in 4 weeks I clocked up 2500 miles. At the the end of 4 weeks I was throwing that little 125 around like an old hand, cornering on rails (ok not quite, slight exaggeration but you get my point ;D)... I was totally in love with biking and I wanted more.

So, I rebooked a days training with Mark and went off and did my mod 1 on my own bike and passed. It helped that I took my own bike as I was comfortable and familiar with it. Yes it means Im restricted, but for me personally, it was the only way I was going to do it.

I booked up for my mod 2 a week later and ordered my new rides ;D

Passed my mod 2 and came home to my new bikes...

I was really sad to see the 125 go, it had built my confidence and given me valuable experience, but it was time to move on and up.

I now ride a Kawasaki ER6f to Bristol every day (for work) and a Harley Sportster XL 1200 custom for lols.

Both bikes are restricted, but I cant tell the difference as Ive never ridden them unrestricted :D

I absolutely love them to bits and Im still gaining experience and confidence all the time. I certainly have never looked back.

What worked for me may not necessarily work for everyone as we are all different. Which ever path you choose, good luck and have fun. If you want to talk to me more feel free to PM me. Im happy to meet up and ride out with you if you do decide to go down the 125 route as it helps to have someone with you I feel.

Biking isn't for everyone, but don't give up until you know you are sure.

Ps, just read this back and didn't realise it was such a long one, sorry! ::)

THANK YOU, I think you just helped me more than anything. I think that's exactly what I want to go and do now.
I don't like quitting, and believe me I've wanted to ride a bike for the last 12 years, and if it wasn't for my partner I still probably wouldn't have had the confidence to do anything about it. My father tells me its a certantity Im going to die being as Im into bikes (yes very supportive as you can tell >:( ) and after I kept stalling and sort of dropped a big bike when I was literally trying to do a U turn (previous to that I was fine) it knocked my confidence right through the floor and since Ive been in uber panic mode about things so being told its not for me just kinda sent me down the wrong path in my head.

Im so glad to have read your story and Im glad I am not the only one out there that has felt like this! Thank you soo much, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond! *going to go look for a 125 now!* ;D

cerruti
22-08-12, 01:39 PM
THANK YOU, I think you just helped me more than anything. I think that's exactly what I want to go and do now.
I don't like quitting, and believe me I've wanted to ride a bike for the last 12 years, and if it wasn't for my partner I still probably wouldn't have had the confidence to do anything about it. My father tells me its a certantity Im going to die being as Im into bikes (yes very supportive as you can tell >:( ) and after I kept stalling and sort of dropped a big bike when I was literally trying to do a U turn (previous to that I was fine) it knocked my confidence right through the floor and since Ive been in uber panic mode about things so being told its not for me just kinda sent me down the wrong path in my head.

Im so glad to have read your story and Im glad I am not the only one out there that has felt like this! Thank you soo much, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond! *going to go look for a 125 now!* ;D

You are VERY welcome. I was serious about the offer of help too. Everybody is different and we need to go at our own pace.

Good luck with your venture and with finding a 125. Pity I sold my YBR ;)

When you do come to do your test, I do highly recommend Mark Able - I know he already has a lot of fans on this forum, but for me personally he was the right instructor - that man has balls of steel and the patience of a saint! :D

A13X4ND7A
22-08-12, 01:49 PM
You are VERY welcome. I was serious about the offer of help too. Everybody is different and we need to go at our own pace.

Good luck with your venture and with finding a 125. Pity I sold my YBR ;)

When you do come to do your test, I do highly recommend Mark Able - I know he already has a lot of fans on this forum, but for me personally he was the right instructor - that man has balls of steel and the patience of a saint! :D

Thank you, I really appreciate your offer of help and I might well take you up on it!

Yes I will go to Mark Able, I think that's where the other half went to, and he will only be round the corner once I move.

Time to get saving I think, I might well be a few months with the prices on these bikes unless I get finance :o

Thanks once again tho, I really do appreciate your help :)

Conehead
22-08-12, 04:04 PM
I say, GO FOR IT. you will always be wondering what if. Get the experience then go for your test. If you dont feel confident you wont pass and it will cost you a lot of money. I am sure there are loads of people on here that will go for a ride with you, I dont mind and maybe we can all do a group ride with you as lead if that helps. Only an idea. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Rabb
22-08-12, 06:57 PM
To me it sounds like you could do it in stages like I did.
1. Do your CBT - see how you feel.
2. Take your Theory Test - book it after you have completed the CBT (and you are happy to progress to bigger bike)
3. Dependant on the above - book your DAS.

Confidence is always at a low ebb when you haven't done something before (as you found with your car driving test). Breaking it down into manageable and controllable parts will assist.
If you find you are 'running before you can walk' - you can ease off, but if you are 'flying' then go for it.
I bet you had 'good and bad car driving lessons'?! - Most people do but they get there in the end.

bobf279
22-08-12, 08:17 PM
Get a 125 lots of riding for experience then train and take your test.

A13X4ND7A
23-08-12, 09:13 AM
To me it sounds like you could do it in stages like I did.
1. Do your CBT - see how you feel.
2. Take your Theory Test - book it after you have completed the CBT (and you are happy to progress to bigger bike)
3. Dependant on the above - book your DAS.

Confidence is always at a low ebb when you haven't done something before (as you found with your car driving test). Breaking it down into manageable and controllable parts will assist.
If you find you are 'running before you can walk' - you can ease off, but if you are 'flying' then go for it.
I bet you had 'good and bad car driving lessons'?! - Most people do but they get there in the end.

1. I've done my CBT and I was beaming from ear to ear afterwards!
2. I've done my theory test and passed

I passed my car test 6 weeks and 1 day after I was 17 which was the soonest I could book a test and passed with 2 minors.
I know I can do things, I just need a bit more confidence when it comes to a bike I think so I think Ill look for a 125 and take my test when I feel confident enough. :)

Wes
23-08-12, 09:46 AM
Probably the best way, i had a 100cc bike which i rode about on just to practice all the maneuvers until i was happy i had it right, plus it was good fun :)

A13X4ND7A
23-08-12, 09:54 AM
Going Bike shopping on the weekend :D YAY ;D

Dabz
23-08-12, 09:54 AM
could do a lot worse than this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-Yamaha-YBR-125-in-Red-9-200-miles-11-months-MOT-new-Rear-Tyre-/170898239004?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item27ca542e1c

cerruti
23-08-12, 01:09 PM
Thats a bargain Dabz... and local too.

It will also hold it's value so when you come to sell it on, you won't lose out.

A13X4ND7A
23-08-12, 01:14 PM
could do a lot worse than this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-Yamaha-YBR-125-in-Red-9-200-miles-11-months-MOT-new-Rear-Tyre-/170898239004?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item27ca542e1c

Thats not bad, although I think I found the one I want in Swindon ;D

goz1960
23-08-12, 01:16 PM
:) :) :) :)Go for it GIRL :) :) :) :)

A13X4ND7A
23-08-12, 01:36 PM
I am!!! Going to see a bike I like in Swindon on Sat Morning. whooohooooo.

voodoo
24-08-12, 09:22 PM
I have to say, I totally agree with the comments on here about practice, practice, practice. I was in the same position as you, did my CBT and had a go at a DAS course a few months later... and I was s***!

Complete lack of confidence etc etc coupled with no practice whatsoever beforehand meant that I couldn't ride the 500 as well as I would have liked so I took a step back and bought a 125 so that I could practice and regain my confidence. A year later (my fault for being lazy :D) and I passed first time - ok so I've got a restricted licence but I love every minute of it and I'll move up when my 2 years are up knowing that I spent the time to improve). I know that everyone is different and some have passed first time on a DAS and some have difficulty with it. The thing to remember is to do what you feel comfortable with and not what others are telling you to do

You might find that after a few weeks on the 125 you'll be craving to go back to a bigger bike... but then again you might not. Either way, you'll know you're doing the right thing for you [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

A13X4ND7A
25-08-12, 02:29 PM
Well, Ive bought a 125 :D Thanks everyone for the advice :)

goz1960
25-08-12, 02:50 PM
:)Could you put up a picture? :)

Morticia
25-08-12, 06:10 PM
I had a 125. An absolute pile of crap, but I earned a lot. I'm spanish, so we use the other side of the road, and I don't drive, so had no road experience before my 125. I personally wouldn't have passed without my 125 and the 6, 7 months experience. Having said that, there's lots of people that didn't need that.

Senna(Dan)
26-08-12, 06:17 AM
Well glad you have got one.
Remember to practice at every oppourtunity!
If your going for a pint of milk, get the bike out don't take the car. Sounds silly but it will improve your confidence no end.

A13X4ND7A
26-08-12, 10:42 AM
I put a pic up in members rides. I love her. Rob is struggling to drag me away from her.. En route to Bristol to get me some new boots now. Yay.

Goldie
27-08-12, 10:33 PM
I'm pretty sure the changes will affect you. Have a read here: http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1343250277/0

Red Zed 1
27-08-12, 11:00 PM
my son did his cbt,nearly 2 months before his 17 birthday without having ridden on the road(he did practise on private ground on his 125)..he was advised to get a 50cc asap to gain what turned out to be valuable experience on the road riding to college in swindon from calne,,then on his birthday he was more than ready to step up to his 125..he is now waiting to take his module 2 test,which hopefully he will pass because 1)training 2)experience of the road..my personal opinion is that there is no substitute for experience/practise,by all means get some training but not everybody can fit in or afford all at once training/test so to have your own bike to practise on can only be good for you in the long run.. :)

Beamer
27-08-12, 11:42 PM
I am so glad I had loads of time on my 125 before doing my test....I did the test on my 125 because I knew my bike.......I never set myself a cut off point with my 125. I was planning to ride it until it was time to retake my CBT but it happened that for some reason I didn't wait that long.....I was on my 125 about a year before my test.....I took the Mod 1 4 times before passing and did my Mod 2 first time. Everyone is different and I could only get out about once a week but I personally am glad I did it the way I did.
There is no rush, whatever way you do it, you will get there in the end.
With sheer guts and determination you can do anything you want to :) :)

A13X4ND7A
28-08-12, 08:54 AM
Well I am soo glad I have gotten my own bike, I am learning more every time I come out and I cant wait until I'm confident enough to ride to work every day :D

Im stil a little nervous around beds and roundabouts for some reason, and turning right. I'll get there I know I will :D

Senna(Dan)
28-08-12, 06:46 PM
Relax, then relax again because you will tense up anyway.
Most important rule is SMILE, try it next time you are out.

A13X4ND7A
29-08-12, 07:30 AM
Are you trying to say I don't smile????? Clearly you haven't actually seen me riding then. Being nervous doesn't mean I don't love the ride and don't have the biggest grin on my face.
In the three times I've been out since I got the bike I've managed to go from having horrific aching wrists to the point of pins and needles to absolutely feeling 100% fine and feeling completely natural.
I'm very proud of myself....and I wake up and check the weather coz I can't wait to get back on again ;D

Dan505
29-08-12, 07:50 AM
smiling naturally relaxes you, its what Senna means....i think? :-/

A13X4ND7A
29-08-12, 09:10 AM
Im sure he does... but I do smile... even Rob told me he can see me smiling when Im sat at traffic lights... and who the hell smiles while sat at traffic lights lol 8-)

Dan505
29-08-12, 10:10 AM
who the hell smiles while sat at traffic lights lol 8-)

you do :D