PDA

View Full Version : Taking your licence in 2013?

Mark_Able
25-07-12, 10:04 PM
I need to put something on here about the new licence changes, if for no other reason than to gripe about it.

As things stand, there are two options commonly open to most people. You can take your test on a 125cc bike (cat A2) and have a two year restriction to 33bhp, at the end of which your licence becomes a normal unrestricted (cat A) motorcycle licence. Or, if you're over 21, you can do Direct Access (DAS) on a bike with more than 47bhp and get a full category A licence straight away. If you've taken one of these options before January 2013, nothing will change.

After Jan 2013.
Option 1 (minimum age 17). If you take your test on a 125cc bike, you will get a full licence allowing you to ride a 125cc bike (cat A1), nothing bigger. So essentially, a waste of time, unless you only intend to ride a commuter bike for the rest of your life, and want to ride on motorways and carry passengers.

Option 2 (minmum age 19). You can take your test on a bike no smaller than 400cc, that must have a minimum power of 34bhp, and a maximum of 47bhp, thereby allowing you to ride a bike up to 47bhp (new cat A2). Again, there will be a two year restriction at the end of which there maybe either an assessment to move up to unlimited power, or a retest. The DSA has not decided whether to assess or retest, and won't decide until the end of next year (we've been told). So if you are over 19 but under 24, this is your option. The only thing being, if you take your test let's say in February, you won't know if you'll have to do it all again at the end of the two year restriction. Well not until the DSA make up their mind anyway.

Option 3 (minimum age 24). Up until last week, the changes to DAS were meant to be an increase in age (from 21 to 24), and an increase in the size and power of bike (600cc minimum and 54bhp minimum). So as to be fully prepared, we bought a couple of lovely Yamaha XJ600N's. Last week we were informed that the European Parliament has changed their mind. The minimum size will still be 600cc, but they've now added a minimum weight of 180kgs (not a problem), and more crucially for us, an increase from 54bhp to 67bhp minimum. As our XJ's come in at 60bhp, we are in a position where we are having replace bikes before the new laws have even been implemented. Although they objected to such late changes to the bill, the best the DSA could do was a stay of execution until the end of 2013. All the changes will come in this January, but the 67bhp ruling will be later in the year.

As regards the changes, I can see no safety benefit. The rules as they stand are perfectly acceptable. They are restricting a certain age group from riding bigger bikes, whilst car drivers of the same age can still legally drive whatever they want (providing they can afford the insurance). I feel there is a case of Human Rights here. A regards us, all it does is put pressure on an industry that is already struggling from the previous test changes. With more than half the training schools collapsing since the bodged introduction of modular testing, these latest changes can only compound the issue. The expense of having to keep replacing bikes for no good reason, is ridiculous.

The main losers in this will be the 17/18 year olds, who cannot move up to a bigger bike even if they wanted to. The 19 to 24 year olds won't know what's waiting for them at the end of the two year restriction.

In short, if you're riding a 125 at the moment, get your test done before Jan 2013, otherwise it won't be worthwhile.

And if you're of the same opinion as me, bring on the referendum on the EU... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Dan505
25-07-12, 10:27 PM
Does suck doesn't it >:(

Conehead
25-07-12, 10:32 PM
Glad it isnt me but many comiserations (however you spell it) to everyone affected by this crappy decision.

NoYou
25-07-12, 11:33 PM
Jesus effing christ... that is absolutely appalling! They really are just trying to kill biking off completely. Not even bothering to try and hide it any more!

Jon_W
26-07-12, 07:51 AM
How many hoops???

Taking aside the student aspect for a second, this is going to decimate smaller training schools without the resource to buy the bikes required, reducing choice to the few large schools remaining.

Also, how does this affect automatic? Most autos are either 125, small capacity scoots or large tourers, nont of which will be eligible under these rules.

Then there are the total loosers, students. To have to jump through this many options, when the current system is ill understood is lunatic. The test should be about fitness to ride any bike, not just a specific power class.

Madness.

Dan505
26-07-12, 10:10 AM
Madness.
agreed!

Conehead
26-07-12, 10:16 AM
It all sounds extremely unfair and as mentioned above THEY are not even trying to hide the fact they dont want motorcyclists on the road. AN UTTER DISGRACE >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

voodoo
26-07-12, 10:45 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee1/drstrust/smilies%20and%20emoticons/whssign.gif

8_ball
26-07-12, 10:55 PM
its just a pile of ............... I really feel for you Mark its hard enough trying to stay afloat in this age but to try and keep on top of EU stuff is a nightmare

Dabz
27-07-12, 08:32 AM
the irony is a 17yr old can still be more of a menace on a little scooter or 125 than a 21yr old would probably have been on a big bike :)

Swanny
27-07-12, 09:02 AM
They are definitely trying to kill off bikes but I don't understand why??

Scotty
27-07-12, 11:25 AM
They are definitely trying to kill off bikes but I don't understand why??
Because we're an irritating minority. The public's general perception of us isn't great because it's based on ignorance and prejudice; scruffy, anti-social, violent, law-breaking, noisy, speeding, dangerous, reckless... The list goes on. Politicians are all shysters and charlatans with an eye on making themselves popular so if they can quietly asphyxiate biking and make it go away, thus reducing accident numbers and costs and removing an anti-social element of society they can smile for the cameras and say "look at the good things I've done, aren't I wonderful".
If our minority status was based on ethnic or religious grounds they wouldn't dare **** with us because of the outrage it would provoke amongst the civil liberties hand-wringers and the courts, but as we don't have a recognised profile as a minority with rights they feel that they can do whatever they like.
I'm surprised not to have heard about any MAG or BMF campaigning against the new licence proposals, yet another piece of prejudicial legislation that really hasn't been thought out properly >:(

wiltshire builders
27-07-12, 11:42 AM
People fear what they don't understand. I've lost count of the number of people who ask "are you mad, they're so dangerous" when I say I ride. 99% of them have never even sat on a bike.

The polititions honestly believe they are saving us from ourselves as we don't actually want to be on bikes, we just haven't realised it yet.

The trouble with legislation is, once it's rejected, nobody says "that Idea was crap, don't mention it again" it just keeps getting pushed forward and tweeked until it's accepted. The pen pushers have to justify their jobs somehow.

This is a battle we cannot win because they have endless time and money, our money at that.

Swanny
28-07-12, 07:50 AM
Maybe we should become a religion then. It's possible to do, Jedi is a recognised one.

NoYou
28-07-12, 01:04 PM
Maybe we should become a religion then. It's possible to do, Jedi is a recognised one.
exactly what i was just thinking! Church of bikers, Pray to the God of tinkering and fun!

Mark_Able
30-07-12, 09:01 PM
As far as I know, MAG have been working in cooperation with those that are in charge of the changes, although not necessarily supporting them. I'm sure we'll hear something from them soon. Someone needs to organise a stand against all this EU bullsh*t. There's a lot more bikers in this country than the government realises. If you've got the licence, you're a biker.

In the meantime, best spread the word to all those that were waiting for their 21st b'day next year, or those that are currently riding a 125 and were thinking of doing their test sometime soon. If they leave it too long, they're all going to be very dissappointed. >:(

Goldie
28-08-12, 02:19 PM
wucking fankers. >:(

olyoctus1
28-08-12, 03:01 PM
What will the government tax if they drive motorcyclists off the road?They wouldn't change the rules unless they knew they could make more money. Just like that fantastic money making machine, the speed camera. >:( >:( >:(

redken1
28-08-12, 06:30 PM
As far as I know, MAG have been working in cooperation with those that are in charge of the changes, although not necessarily supporting them. I'm sure we'll hear something from them soon. Someone needs to organise a stand against all this EU bullsh*t. There's a lot more bikers in this country than the government realises. If you've got the licence, you're a biker.

In the meantime, best spread the word to all those that were waiting for their 21st b'day next year, or those that are currently riding a 125 and were thinking of doing their test sometime soon. If they leave it too long, they're all going to be very dissappointed. >:(

I know I will probably get shouted down for making this general point based on my observations, but I always speak as I see.

In my view there are too many people in the UK who adopt an, ‘I’m alright jack’ attitude and are reluctant to pick up the cudgels on behalf of others on a range of issues. Most folk tend to ignore the bigger picture and only make a stand when new laws or rules affect them directly.

The biking community is no different (compare numbers attending demos abroad) and as you say, if you’ve got a licence, you’re a biker. How do you convince those bikers who will not be affected by the new legislation to look at the bigger picture and mobilise against what will undoubtedly prove to be a 12 inch nail in the biking coffin.

wheelers
28-08-12, 09:31 PM
option 3 quiz time... what was top bike on the list that satisfied all requirements supplied by the powers that be?
would make a good pub quiz question.

Mark_Able
30-08-12, 08:59 PM
option 3 quiz time... what was top bike on the list that satisfied all requirements supplied by the powers that be?
would make a good pub quiz question.

Dunno...?