PDA

View Full Version : Check your £16K 1199 Panigale

Snowy
25-08-12, 09:45 AM
Don't know if anyone has one on here, but if you do, you may want to check in with your dealer. There's a few recalls about:

#1 – Summary:
DUCATI IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 PANIGALE MOTORCYCLES BECAUSE OF AN INCORRECT SCREW USED TO RETAIN THE SWINGARM TO THE REAR SUSPENSION LINKAGE.
Consequence:
IF THE LINKAGE DETACHES FROM THE SWINGARM, CATASTROPHIC SUSPENSION COLLAPSE WOULD OCCUR AND ADVERSELY AFFECT THE ABILITY TO SAFELY HANDLE THE MOTORCYCLE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
#2 – Summary:
Ducati is recalling certain model year 2012-2013 1199 Panigale motorcycles manufactured from March 16, 2012, through July 12, 2012. The exhaust butterfly valve bowden cable cover could melt or burn due to excess heat of the catalytic converter.
Consequence:
Melting and burning of the bowden cable cover could lead to smoke and/or fire.
#3 – Summary:
Ducati is recalling certain model year 2012-2013 1199 Panigale motorcycles manufactured from March 16, 2012, through July 12, 2012 . Due to an incorrect assembly tolerance, the Uniball bearing on the damper rod eyelet could slip out of its seat on the Ohlins steering damper.
Consequence:
The steering damper can detach from its mounting point which can lead to loss of control of the motorcycle, increasing the risk of a crash.
#4 – Summary:
Ducati is recalling certain model year 2012-2013 1199 Panigale motorcycles manufactured from March 16, 2012, through July 12, 2012. Screws that secure the steering damper to the steering head could fall out due to an insufficient amount of Loctite applied to the threads.
Consequence:
The steering damper can detach from the steering head which can lead to loss of control of the motorcycle, increasing the risk of a crash.
#5 – Summary:
Ducati is recalling certain model year 2012-2013 1199 Panigale motorcycles manufactured from March 16, 2012, through July 12, 2012. The right and left swingarm shaft pivots can loosen.
Consequence:
The swingarm shaft pivots can loosen from the swingarm which can lead to loss of control of the motorcycle, increasing the risk of personal injury.
#6 – Summary:
Ducati is recalling certain model year 2012-2013 1199 Panigale motorcycles manufactured from March 16, 2012, through July 12, 2012. The front brake master cylinder reservoir hose might interfere with the threading end of the reservoir retaining screw.
Consequence:
The front brake master cylinder reservoir hose might interfere with the threading end of the reservoir of the retaining screw causing damage to the hose, which could lead to a front brake system failure, increasing the risk of a crash.

Ade
25-08-12, 11:36 AM
.... and I've just read an article in the Oct'12 issue of Bike that I received in post today ....... testing a 1199 Panigale and with only 1300 miles on clock .... near end of test ..... all power lost ... blue smoke seen in mirrors .... oil all over road and rear wheel. When RAC recovery arrived they found aluminium pieces in bellypan and a hole the size of a £1 coin in base of engine casing !!!!!
BIke is on way back to Ducati in Bologna for full investigation !!!!

Hold fire on putting in your orders for your 1199 Panigale !!!! :o

SupeRDel
25-08-12, 12:27 PM
My mates just bought a 8 year CB1300 with only 800 miles on the clock. It was a rich mans toy which he never rode.

It still had a recall from Honda pending.

Scotty
25-08-12, 12:30 PM
And yet the Ducatisti still get very upset when their claims that "they're as reliable as Japanese bikes now" aren't taken seriously... ::)

Wes
25-08-12, 06:40 PM
:o just a bit then

Senna(Dan)
26-08-12, 05:43 AM
Get last years excess stock ordered instead then.

Dan505
26-08-12, 08:33 AM
Italian craftsmanship at its best :o

Bornagain
27-08-12, 01:08 PM
Not had a recall for mine yet!!!!! Mind you I have for the Kawasaki for a rectifier receiver issue...... And it had to go back with coolant issues at about 700 miles, so my experience puts it at 2 - 0 in ducati's favour at the moment!! Blah blah blah waffle!! :P

Rabb
27-08-12, 02:33 PM
Bloody Hell
If I had bought a bike for £16k and it had all that wrong with it - I would be returning it to the dealer (not for the mods) - for a bloody refund!
Just confirms what I have always thought "Nearly all Italian products look fabulous but fall to pieces quite quickly"

vinny
29-08-12, 11:11 AM
wonder if rossis bike had any of these recalls he seems to be struggling with some ducati issues :D

470four
02-09-12, 08:37 AM
And yet the Ducatisti still get very upset when their claims that "they're as reliable as Japanese bikes now" aren't taken seriously... ::)

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/santav10/snowybrokedown.jpg

Seriously??? ;D ;D ;D ;D

My Doocat has NEVER been on the back of a recovery vehicle, unlike your 'superior Teutonic uberbike'

People in glass houses, hmmm??

As a first generation bike - sharing no parts with the previous 1098/1198 etc, it is more than likely to have some issues?

Try doing a search for ANY bike and you will find recalls for it - Honda camchains/tensioners/wrong size or missing bolts a PLENTY!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/santav10/scott.jpg

L
M
F
A
O!! ;)

Snowy
02-09-12, 09:25 AM

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/santav10/snowybrokedown.jpg

Seriously??? ;D ;D ;D ;D

My Doocat has NEVER been on the back of a recovery vehicle, unlike your 'superior Teutonic uberbike'

People in glass houses, hmmm??

As a first generation bike - sharing no parts with the previous 1098/1198 etc, it is more than likely to have some issues?

Try doing a search for ANY bike and you will find recalls for it - Honda camchains/tensioners/wrong size or missing bolts a PLENTY!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/santav10/scott.jpg

L
M
F
A
O!! ;)

I think you're a little confused this morning 470Four ;D ;D ;D

470four
02-09-12, 03:28 PM
I'll let the photo's speak for themselves. ;)

Snowy
02-09-12, 03:53 PM
I'll let the photo's speak for themselves. ;)

No, you're still confused. I won't give you a clue though - I'll see if you can work it out for yourself ;)

Crosbie
02-09-12, 06:30 PM
Lol. Think you may have got the quote'ee and person in the pictures mixed up a little Darren

Ducatista
02-09-12, 07:30 PM
And yet the Ducatisti still get very upset when their claims that "they're as reliable as Japanese bikes now" aren't taken seriously...

Some of us would rather push our Ducati's than ride anything else ;)

Seriouisly though it depends on which model you have. I haven't had any breakdowns on my Monster but that's a mondel that's been around for many years and not exactly cutting edge. There are bound to be more problems if you buy something cutting edge whatever marque it is.
I've personally had more issues with other bikes (Honda and Kawasaki), but I wouldn't sell a kidney for either of those ;)

Snowy
03-09-12, 12:27 PM
The only reason I posted this thread up was incase there were any owners on this site with this make and year of bike since all the recalls concern catastrophic and major structural/system/brake failures. All of them could lead to an accident and serious injury. It wasn't intended to start a "my bike is better than yours" debate. All bikes have issues, some minor, some major - I tend to put "catastrophic suspension collapses" into the "major" category. It is an inconvenience if your bike won't start but if your front brake fails or your swingarm collapses you're in for a painful or worse experience.

To set the record straight 470Four, my GS recovery issue was caused by a failure of an aftermarket part fitted by me 15 months ago and nothing to do with BMW. It was the first recovery I have ever had to have in 33 years of riding bikes, the last 17 of which have been on Beemers. I don't believe I have ever intimated to you or anyone else for that matter that BMW's possess 100% reliability because they don't. I don't know why you chose it necessary to post up the pictures you have and quoted another forum members comments back at me as clearly they are not relevant in any way to me, my bike or this thread. If you want to put up your own Ducati versus BMW versus whoever else thread then please do so, but don't turn my thread into your own personal vendetta against all things non- Ducati.

t3scn
03-09-12, 01:21 PM
Seriouisly though it depends on which model you have. I haven't had any breakdowns on my Monster but that's a mondel that's been around for many years and not exactly cutting edge. There are bound to be more problems if you buy something cutting edge whatever marque it is.

Second that - It is the same with a lot of manufactures, I'm sure I read that the first S1000RR's had issues with the first
few batches.

A mate of mine was looking at the Panigale and I advised him to hold off until a good 6 months or so into them being on the road to let some of the niggles get ironed out. I have a 04 749 and now my 07 749s neither have had issues, but there are some horrors out there!

Scotty
03-09-12, 01:39 PM
Hahaha ;D ;D ;D

Well done 470Four, you have:

a) Validated my point perfectly (at least Ducatista's response was a little tongue-in-cheek), and

b) Made a total fool of yourself.

Well done, good effort [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dan505
03-09-12, 03:06 PM
;D and Scotty returns to restore order ;D

470four
04-09-12, 08:07 AM
Lol. Think you may have got the quote'ee and person in the pictures mixed up a little Darren

Nope.

Did I mention names??

The original thread was started by Snowy, whose bike is shown in the pics, my post is nothing more than a cross-quotation.

Snowy - if your post was intended to be "helpful" then it wouldnt have had "£16k" in the title, would it? More "have-a-look-at-this!" snobbery, dont for one second pretend that it wasnt.

Scotty - I doubt I have made myself look foolish, & care not one penny for your opinion anyway? :-*

It grates me when people are quick to throw mud at a brand they know very little about, but forget their own brand of bike spent time being carted about on the back of a recovery vehicle recently??

"Let him who is without sin throw the first stone"

- and no stones were thrown...

A LOT of people are queued to buy the second generation 2013 Panigale, after all the niggles had been ironed out?

Bikes break down, all bikes eventually? Its usually something daft - if they didn't we wouldn't get breakdown cover... the last bikes I have had to push were both Japanese?

I still have my Honda and suffer no bias or snobbery between any bike brand, American, European or Japanese? I love bikes, full stop, and will happily stop to help anyone by the side of the road?

No need for any attempt at some sort of brand points scoring??

Go ride. :)

Snowy
04-09-12, 10:12 AM

Nope.

Did I mention names??

The original thread was started by Snowy, whose bike is shown in the pics, my post is nothing more than a cross-quotation.

Snowy - if your post was intended to be "helpful" then it wouldnt have had "£16k" in the title, would it? More "have-a-look-at-this!" snobbery, dont for one second pretend that it wasnt.

Scotty - I doubt I have made myself look foolish, & care not one penny for your opinion anyway? :-*

It grates me when people are quick to throw mud at a brand they know very little about, but forget their own brand of bike spent time being carted about on the back of a recovery vehicle recently??

"Let him who is without sin throw the first stone"

- and no stones were thrown...

A LOT of people are queued to buy the second generation 2013 Panigale, after all the niggles had been ironed out?

Bikes break down, all bikes eventually? Its usually something daft - if they didn't we wouldn't get breakdown cover... the last bikes I have had to push were both Japanese?

I still have my Honda and suffer no bias or snobbery between any bike brand, American, European or Japanese? I love bikes, full stop, and will happily stop to help anyone by the side of the road?

No need for any attempt at some sort of brand points scoring??

Go ride. :)

Yes, I started the thread but it actually wasn't my post as such because I cut & pasted from another forum. The post covers official Ducati recall notices alerting customers to potential critical and catastrophic failures - they are not my quotes, they are from Ducati. I would and will again post up the same from any manufacturer if I come across the similar information. Remember, these aren't about issues that could leave you stranded, they are potential life threatening critical failures. You may want to sit with your head in the sand but personally if I owned any bike from whatever manufacturer with such issues I would want to know about it. I do the same with my own bikes - if there's a problem with them I want to know about it. Armed with such information I have now fixed and put right the known failure points on my own bike - if someone hadn't posted up what those failures were and the recall notices that have been issued by BMW I would never have known about them until it was too late. If you choose to believe there was malicious intent on my part then that's your problem not mine.

It might not be nice information to receive about any bike but it is good information nonetheless. You do with that information whatever you want to do with it. There are recall notices on every current BMW bike in their range and a lot of them cost more than £16K. I have no problem whatsoever in knowing what those are and what they are about - why would I? So why do you?

You should also reconsider using the quotes about "he who hath cast the first stone" as you seem to have conveniently forgotten about your Facebook posts on the subject ::)

Nooj
05-09-12, 08:45 AM
Moral of this story: Never buy the first version of any car or bike new, buy used once all the recalls have been done, or buy the 2nd generation new.