PDA

View Full Version : High miles

Wes
01-09-12, 07:10 PM
Ive been looking around for another bike , just for a bit of variety really, looking at a ktm supermoto type, there's one which looks good, but the only thing is the mileage, 28k on a 04 plate, still only around 3.5k a year i suppose, would this put anyone off? or is it not really worth worrying about. The price does seem to reflect this plus its reasonably local, cheers wes

wheelers
01-09-12, 07:18 PM
problem I have with exotica, Aprilia RSV, KTM, Husqvarna are the service intervals, bit like the early Ducati. also the price of spare parts both new and used.

Col
03-09-12, 10:48 AM
:D depends what price but obviously you already have an issue with the mileage Wes so look for somat else.

goz1960
03-09-12, 11:10 AM
:D depends what price but obviously you already have an issue with the mileage Wes so look for somat else.

Plus 1 mileage would have to offset by the price.

spudgun
03-09-12, 12:02 PM
What is the actual bike?

A lot of the supermoto's are single cylinder and whilst capable of clocking high mileage they do require lots of maintanance to get them there and keep them going.
My first Supermoto was a KTM620 that required oil and filter changes after every 8 hours of use.
The newer 690's are a bit more forgiving on the service requirements.

Dan505
03-09-12, 03:07 PM
:o every 8 hrs?! christ is it worth it?

goz1960
03-09-12, 03:33 PM
Once a week that would be for me?.

spudgun
03-09-12, 03:41 PM
The other downside is the distance you can go on a tank of fuel - it was less than 50 miles on mine

But

For the amount of laughs/grins a supermoto bike will put on your face it's well worth putting up with the maintanance and fuel stops

Dan505
03-09-12, 08:01 PM
not show sure, i get a big enough grin now with 3,000 mile intervals and 182 miles on a full tank :)

if most bikes can manage 40,000 miles but this supermoto needs intense servicing would 20,000 miles be considered nearly 'end of life' for the bike?

Toph
03-09-12, 08:15 PM
Go for it Wes.. yer only young once!! ;D ;D ;D

Wes
03-09-12, 08:18 PM
Go for it Wes.. yer only young once!! ;D ;D ;D
I was, once mate ;D

Dex
07-09-12, 11:26 PM
not show sure, i get a big enough grin now with 3,000 mile intervals and 182 miles on a full tank :)

if most bikes can manage 40,000 miles but this supermoto needs intense servicing would 20,000 miles be considered nearly 'end of life' for the bike?

I'd expect most bikes to manage double that amount quite easily.

Without knowing the exact bike it's impossible to say whether it's high mileage. A properly maintained (between services, as well as being serviced) bike will still be in great mechanical condition at high miles, while one that's abused and neglected will be a wreck even at low miles.

wheelers
08-09-12, 08:05 AM
my youngest picked up an xtx660 supermoto, paid 1500 for it on a 2008 plate, when he turned on ignition speedo read 38.000 miles, but had been used as a supermoto track bike, no scratches and regularly serviced with genuine parts at Poole mcs, full history, we called Poole and confirmed it was in at propper times.
problem with anything mx style is service intervals are in hours, they assume its going to be ridden in competition.
in reality on the road, if you like it ride it moderately then regular oil change why not double or treble intervals. never had problems with the 5 husky 350 0r 510's I had

SupeRDel
08-09-12, 08:37 AM
We are supposed to change the oil.... :o

Snowy
08-09-12, 09:33 AM
For some bike's high mileage would be 20K for others it can be 200K. To an extent it depends upon the type of bike it is and the manufacturer, but in my view the most critical aspects of how long a bike will economically last depends upon how well its been looked after. This would include regular maintenance being done the right way, with the right parts, to the right schedule. The other factor which is not crucial for low miles but critical to reach high mileage is mechanical sympathy and this is all down to the way you ride and abuse your bike. That affects how long items such as your engine, clutch, gearbox, suspension, drive train, etc etc will actually last. Simple things such as not revving the guts out of the engine at cold start up and not spending all day slipping the clutch will make it last longer.

Swanny
08-09-12, 10:24 AM
We are supposed to change the oil.... :o
What's oil?? :D