PDA

View Full Version : Riding my bike..

A13X4ND7A
05-09-12, 09:16 AM
I'm getting more confident and now riding my bike into Bath for work.

I see a lot of bikes about and a lady biker (who I think is on here??) came and pulled up next to me and said something to me last night... I want to apologise if I seem rude, I don't mean to be but I'm awful nervous and trying to concentrate, I cant hear people talking to me very easy in my helmet at the moment, and if anyone waves at me, I'm not likely to wave back because I'm probably going to crash if I start taking my hands off the handle bars just yet.

So overall Im apologising in advance! plus I'm very shy anyway!

on the plus side, Im gaining lots of experience and thinking of starting my own blog to express the emotions etc im going through to potentially help anyone else that might feel the same when they start learning!

Nikki
05-09-12, 10:03 AM
Just do the 'biker nod' saves taking your hands off the bars :)

It wasnt me by the way but I cant hear anything once I'm on my bike either as I wear ear plugs.

A13X4ND7A
05-09-12, 10:09 AM
Just do the 'biker nod' saves taking your hands off the bars :)

It wasnt me by the way but I cant hear anything once I'm on my bike either as I wear ear plugs.

Ye I been seeing this nod. Im so busy concentrating but I have managed that lol.

I just wanted people to know so that they didn't think I was being rude mainly!

Dan505
05-09-12, 03:10 PM
don't worry about being 'rude' concentrate on your riding, and only worry about the nod when you've time and are able to do so. my eyes are on the road 1st and nod 2nd :)

A13X4ND7A
05-09-12, 03:19 PM
don't worry about being 'rude' concentrate on your riding, and only worry about the nod when you've time and are able to do so. my eyes are on the road 1st and nod 2nd :)

of course, safety first n all. Just being polite and telling people, I dont know who the lady was last night but I dont want people to think im ignorant. :)

Dan505
05-09-12, 03:20 PM
only harley riders are ignorant (ducks incase Cerruti is reading this? ;) )

some nod some don't, enjoy the ride!

A13X4ND7A
05-09-12, 03:24 PM
oh and for the record, if anyone happens to come up behind me, just please feel free to go past me, makes me more nervous someone sitting behind me unless its a car or Robert lol

Most people seem to, think they probably get miffed off with me sitting to the speed limits and the fact I cant round bends like i'm cornering on rails just yet!

Nikki
05-09-12, 03:31 PM

oh you ARE going to be in so much trouble when Cerruti sees this post ;D ;D

wiltshire builders
05-09-12, 04:23 PM

How dare you say "only Harley riders are ignorant" you've completely overlooked the BMW GS brigade. (I just went though a puddle, I'm Simon Pavey!)

Snowy
05-09-12, 04:34 PM

How dare you say "only Harley riders are ignorant" you've completely overlooked the BMW GS brigade. (I just went though a puddle, I'm Simon Pavey!)

I knew I would come up in conversation at some point ;D ;D ;D

Splash
05-09-12, 04:35 PM

Laughing my socks off to that!! SO true!!

cerruti
05-09-12, 06:58 PM

Damned right Im reading this ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I nod to anyone provided they are suited and booted.

Alex, try to chill and enjoy the ride - don't worry about acknowledging other riders - Its not always possible to reciprocate a nod anyways and Im sure the vast majority of riders understand... just have fun and enjoy, it's what it's all about afterall ;)

BB
05-09-12, 10:22 PM
Just relax & enjoy and don't worry about anyone else. We all started off as beginners at one time 8-)

BB

Dan505
06-09-12, 10:12 AM

thought BMW riders spent all their time just polishing it on the drive? they actually ride them battleships? :D

Snowy
06-09-12, 11:55 AM

thought BMW riders spent all their time just polishing it on the drive? they actually ride them battleships? :D

We do, although we're either too fast for you to notice or we're going to places you just can't get to ;D I've averaged 9K a year on the Battleship over the last 3 years I've had it plus not far off the same on the Flying Brick :P

Oh, and I don't commute on either of them ;)

Dan505
06-09-12, 12:38 PM

We do, although we're either too fast for you to notice or we're going to places you just can't get to ;D I've averaged 9K a year on the Battleship over the last 3 years I've had it plus not far off the same on the Flying Brick :P

can't commute cause you can't filter thru the traffic what with being Uber wide ;D the bike, not you!

Splash
06-09-12, 01:03 PM

can't commute cause you can't filter thru the traffic what with being Uber wide ;D the bike, not you!

Even if some are too wide to filter.. that's perfectly acceptable because they are bloody gorgeous to just sit and look at! :)

cerruti
06-09-12, 01:08 PM
When I filter on my Harley the cars hear me coming and move for me - a bit like Moses parting the seas ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Swanny
06-09-12, 01:09 PM
http://www.freeiphone4swallpapers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/just-do-it.jpg

Yammy
06-09-12, 01:09 PM
Keep plugging away Alexandra, these R125's are very good bikes, stick to the road well in dry conditions and depending on your tyre choice are good in the wet as well.

I was exactly the same the first few times I took mine out, a bag of nerves :) But confidence comes with experience. I'm much better now but can stand to learn a whole lot more.

A13X4ND7A
06-09-12, 01:25 PM
When I filter on my Harley the cars hear me coming and move for me - a bit like Moses parting the seas ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

LOL love it! When I tried filtering yesterday I got so far and then had cars pulling to stop me lol.

Yammy, ye I'm getting there. The first day I got her it poured with rain and she seemed ok but I was uber nerved. Not sure what tyres are on there but I recall they are good ones (maybe pirelli?)
Where to do you go out on your bike?

Yammy
06-09-12, 06:02 PM
I go all over.

To Melksham and back for work, and I go out to Frome, Devizes, Corsham etc. on general rides.

Just tend to go where I feel like it and hope that I can navigate back from where I end up :)

A13X4ND7A
07-09-12, 09:23 AM
I go all over.

To Melksham and back for work, and I go out to Frome, Devizes, Corsham etc. on general rides.

Just tend to go where I feel like it and hope that I can navigate back from where I end up :)

Awesome, maybe I might see you about then :)

Nikki
07-09-12, 09:46 AM
LOL love it! When I tried filtering yesterday I got so far and then had cars pulling to stop me lol.

Sadly you'll get that sometimes. I guess it must be pretty frustrating sat in a car in traffic jam, especially if they are late for work/had a bad day to see some biker nip past. It doesn't faze me now just ignore them. You know they wont hold you up for long. Atleast Bath has the bus lane to get through quicker :)

A13X4ND7A
07-09-12, 09:58 AM

Sadly you'll get that sometimes. I guess it must be pretty frustrating sat in a car in traffic jam, especially if they are late for work/had a bad day to see some biker nip past. It doesn't faze me now just ignore them. You know they wont hold you up for long. Atleast Bath has the bus lane to get through quicker :)

It was the first time I'd even attempted filtering so It was a little un nerving BUT because I was unsure myself I didnt mind and just stuck behind and sat in the traffic lol. Hopefully Ill get a little further today!

I don't pass any bus lanes I can ride up on my way out :(

Swanny
07-09-12, 10:04 AM
Go very careful using the bus lanes. Sometimes people turn into them without looking.

A13X4ND7A
07-09-12, 10:29 AM
Thanks Swanny, I'll keep an eye out for that if I use one.

Geordie Stu
07-09-12, 03:54 PM
Keep up the good work A13x :)

Loops
08-09-12, 12:30 AM
Thanks Swanny, I'll keep an eye out for that if I use one.

Remember, once you get a bit more confidence, that you can stand up on your pegs and get a view over any cars next to you. I did (and still do) that all the time to help see if there is anyone waiting to turn across the bus lane :)

A13X4ND7A
08-09-12, 05:08 PM
I can stand on my pegs but didn't think of doing that. Good idea.

Jon_W
10-09-12, 01:28 PM
Ride a rough looking bike..... I find the cars don't try to argue so much.... I think they value their paint more than pressing the point!

;D

A13X4ND7A
10-09-12, 02:03 PM
lol Nah, I think I'll stick to my sexy lil bike until I can get a sexier bigger bike as soon as I pass my test.
I think Ive been worrying too much, as long as I pay attention I should be a-ok :)