PDA

View Full Version : Insurance renewal question

Swanny
10-09-12, 05:12 PM
Had a notice through the post that my bike insurance was going to auto-renew at the end of the month.
Last year I paid about £180 fully comp
This year they wanted £338 for the same bike :o

I phoned them and they said they can do it for £215 :-?

Just looked on the net and I can get fully comp for £96 or £129 if I have legal and helmet/leathers cover. This is with Hastings insurance.

WTF!! Just phoned them to pay and they said if I pay over the phone there is an additional administration fee of £11
I had already run through all the details with her all she had to do was take my card number and push enter :-?
Sod that I'll pay online

My question is, is it worth the extra £30 to have legal and helmet/leathers cover???

Tossers and their auto renewal scams >:(
Just by looking I saved over £200 :)

Senna(Dan)
10-09-12, 05:47 PM
The legal cover is crap Snowy, it takes forever and they try and screw you over should you ever need to claim.
I used SMIDSY after somebody reversed into my ped years back. 2 weeks and the repairs were complete. This was after it took the insurance company 4 weeks to assess the bike and they tried blaming me.
Helemt and leather covers is the way to go because of how much the kit has cost you.

Nelly
10-09-12, 05:54 PM
Yeah man! (as last train would say). I've always added the Helmet and Leather cover. Just have a quick tot up of the gear you wear at the moment.

Swanny
10-09-12, 06:07 PM
Yea thanks I'm going to go for the leathers option.
Trouble is now it's saying my bike is a CBF600SA but it's a CBF600N and the SA is more expensive.

Pain in the arse insurance companies

cerruti
10-09-12, 06:35 PM
The legal cover is crap Snowy, it takes forever and they try and screw you over should you ever need to claim.

Helemt and leather covers is the way to go because of how much the kit has cost you.

Sorry to disagree with Senna but I would recommend the extra £30 for legal cover. I recently had an accident and my fully comp insurance inc legal cover was a godsend. Totally smooth, they handled everything for me and I was extremely grateful I had paid the extra, well worth it imo.

Ofc it could depend who you insure with, maybe not every company offers the same level of service.

Ditto about the gear cover though - add up what you wear on your bike, its worth a few quid I'm sure.

Swanny
10-09-12, 06:41 PM
What a pain in the bum that was. Finaly got it sorted but the price is never the same as they quote you, they keep adding little bits on.
The best bit was chatting to a nice sounding (probably fugly) girl while trying to sort it. 8-)

Snowy
10-09-12, 07:39 PM
I used SMIDSY after somebody reversed into my ped years back. 2 weeks and the repairs were complete. This was after it took the insurance company 4 weeks to assess the bike and they tried blaming me.

Dunno mate, I didn't comment on it ;D

Demonbaker
10-09-12, 08:28 PM
Personally i don't do the legal cover. I used to but after talking with an ex bike cop turned insurance accident investigator he changed my mind. If i was to have a claim know i can choose the company i want to use not the cheapest one for the insurance company.

Swanny
10-09-12, 08:40 PM

Dunno mate, I didn't comment on it ;D

That's the problem with the platinum members colours ;D
Very hard to see the name of the poster :-/

Dabz
10-09-12, 08:57 PM
Legal and leathers/helmet cover for me - worth the extra imo

BB
10-09-12, 09:09 PM
I've got legal & leathers too as has Ghost, and he used his to claim successfully earlier this year. 8-)

BB

Senna(Dan)
11-09-12, 01:23 AM
I know alot of companies do it as a package deal, the whole if you take legal we will 'give' you helmet & leathers free.

I know I paid more this year on multibike but the offer was too good to refuse: Legal, Breakdown, Helmet & Leathers, Nil Excess and extra goodies at BSB events all for £100

Crosbie
11-09-12, 08:41 AM
I wouldnt bother with the legal assistance - following my recent altercation with the rear end of a post van i went to use my legal assistance cover which i also paid £30 for only to find (told this direct by the solicitor dealing with the case) that the legal assistance i have paid for doesnt cover me in this situation. They would still work on the case for me but would have to ammend the paperwork as they would be acting as an independant no win no fee solicitor. WTF did i pay £30 for then?!?!?!?!?!?!?! >:( >:( >:( and more to the point what does it actually cover.... :-? from now on ill not be paying the £30 and will just go to a no win no fee outlet

Nikki
11-09-12, 08:55 AM
I wouldnt bother with the legal assistance - following my recent altercation with the rear end of a post van i went to use my legal assistance cover which i also paid £30 for only to find (told this direct by the solicitor dealing with the case) that the legal assistance i have paid for doesnt cover me in this situation. They would still work on the case for me but would have to ammend the paperwork as they would be acting as an independant no win no fee solicitor. WTF did i pay £30 for then?!?!?!?!?!?!?! >:( >:( >:( and more to the point what does it actually cover.... :-? from now on ill not be paying the £30 and will just go to a no win no fee outlet

I think the way a lot of legal cover is sold is misleading.

Nothing stopping you using your own solicitor and claiming for costs incurred if you have an accident, and in my view that can often be better than having to use some legal service business that wants to clear the case asap with the minimum of costs involved for them so that they can move on to the next one.

Geordie Stu
11-09-12, 02:22 PM
Like Nelly says way up the cost of New Lid & Leathers against the £30 for the year. Ok you may not come off (I hope you don't)

I've always got mine lid & leathers covered. I don't normally renew with the same company but I found this year mce to be the least expensive