PDA

View Full Version : New Test in Jan 13 - Confirmation Required

Uber Dave
11-09-12, 06:45 PM
I have read up on the DAS for post Jan13 and just want to confirm what I have read so far is correct.

It states that to complete the DAS after Jan that the age goes from 21 to 25. Now other than the age jump I cant see any difference to the Direct Access?

So if this is correct someone who is over 25 and already has their CBT is in no rush to get the full test out the way now (as nothing changes to the test but the age limit) or have I read it all wrong entirely and they should still get it done ASAP?

Ta muchly

voodoo
11-09-12, 07:46 PM
minimum age of 24 and slightly more powerful bikes. have a read of this

http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1343250277

Mark_Able
11-09-12, 08:57 PM
Yep, as Voodoo says, minimum age going up to 24. Yes, no rush to get the test done. The actual test won't change other than the size of bike you'll be doing it on. At the moment there is no minimum cc/weight, only a minimum power output of 47bhp. As of Jan, minimum size will be 600cc, minimum weight 180kg, and minimum power 54bhp, which will rise to 67bhp by the end of 2013. ::)
The only urgency is if you were under 24. Better to pass this year than next, even if it is on a restricted licence (A2) test. Next year gets complicated for the under 24's. ::) >:(

goz1960
11-09-12, 09:05 PM
Not sure but I bet they don't mess with the car test like they do with the bike test?.

Mark_Able
11-09-12, 09:19 PM
Not sure but I bet they don't mess with the car test like they do with the bike test?.

Since '94, when I started as a bike instructor, we've had:-

1. Direct Access/A2 licences come in,
2. the theory test,
3. modular testing (leading to the closure of over 100 motorcycle test centres), which was also revamped 18 months later,
4. independent riding,
5. and now the complete overhaul in January.

As far as the car test, they got the theory test and independent driving as well, but the practical became easier when it was decided to do only one manoeuvre. >:(

Uber Dave
11-09-12, 09:23 PM
Yep, as Voodoo says, minimum age going up to 24. Yes, no rush to get the test done. The actual test won't change other than the size of bike you'll be doing it on. At the moment there is no minimum cc/weight, only a minimum power output of 47bhp. As of Jan, minimum size will be 600cc, minimum weight 180kg, and minimum power 54bhp, which will rise to 67bhp by the end of 2013. ::)
The only urgency is if you were under 24. Better to pass this year than next, even if it is on a restricted licence (A2) test. Next year gets complicated for the under 24's. ::) >:(

Thanks Mark, and Voodoo too. Confirmed my understanding entirely (except I had the wrong age).

goz1960
11-09-12, 09:29 PM

Since '94, when I started as a bike instructor, we've had:-

1. Direct Access/A2 licences come in,
2. the theory test,
3. modular testing (leading to the closure of over 100 motorcycle test centres), which was also revamped 18 months later,
4. independent riding,
5. and now the complete overhaul in January.

As far as the car test, they got the theory test and independent driving as well, but the practical became easier when it was decided to do only one manoeuvre. >:(

Sounds a little like they are trying to persecute the bike rider then as I expected. >:( >:(

Swanny
11-09-12, 09:37 PM

Of course not they make more money from cars