PDA

View Full Version : Torquw Wrench hire

alanTDM
14-09-12, 09:01 PM
Does anybody know where i can hire a Torque Wrench from needs to be minimum of 10NM/7FTlb bolts for camshaft holders
I phone a couple of places but its a no go.

redken1
14-09-12, 10:07 PM
I have one you are welcome to borrow Alan - where do you live and when do you need it?

Conehead
14-09-12, 10:13 PM
Think ive got one too if Redken1 lives to far away

alanTDM
14-09-12, 10:58 PM
Thanks Redken
Im in Monkton Farleigh(between Bradford on Avon and Batheaston was hoping to do it this weekend but i think it will be next weekend now,but that all depends on the weather as i got no garage and what is covered, there is not enough room to sort it if it rains.
What i dont want to do is borrow it and then unable to do the job for a few weeks then you need it in the mean time thats why i was thinking of hiring one as it prob be short notice and more local.Having said that Frome isnt to far away.
My Torque wrench only goes down to 10ftlb >:( by turning the micro scale it can go lower to seven, not sure if that would work as its off the engraved scale on the handle.
Thanks Conehead but Salisbury is a bit to far.
I'll PM you Redken early next week let you know whats happening if i need it or when.

Scotty
15-09-12, 02:27 PM
If you can find one, get one with a scale that goes lower than 10Nm, it'll be more accurate than one that starts at 10. I found this to my cost last year, using a Draper 3/8" torque wrench that started at 10Nm to refit he clutch in my off-roader. I wasn't happy with it and my fears were realised when it over-tightened one of the spring bolts and split the post >:( Annoying, probably repairable but I bought another clutch basket for the Spain trip...
Following that episode I had a look around and found a really nice 1/4" drive jobbie in Screwfix that starts around 5Nm and came with a calibration certificate. It was easy enough to get hold of a 1/4 - 3/8 adaptor so I could use all the regular tools with it. Spot on for doing camshaft cap bolts and any other M6 threads that need torquing. It cost around £42 but it's worth the peace of mind, and about half the price of a clutch basket for a WR250! 8-)

redken1
15-09-12, 04:07 PM
I need to check the one I have because It's quite heavy duty and I think it too may only start at 10Nm. I bought it for tightning the axle nut after chain adjustment. I know it's 1/2" drive.

Will have look Alan.

alanTDM
15-09-12, 10:49 PM
Iv have seen some 3/8" Torque wrenchs on Ebay so i have decided to get one from there,It will have to be a 3/8" drive as there isnt a lot of space,and i dont think a 1/2" drive will fit with its socket on,plus most of my sockets are 3/8" anyhow.
Thanks for all your advice and offers.