PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads - OMG :-o

Rabb
16-09-12, 09:14 PM
What a difference - I have recently changed my front brake pads from one of the leading brands to a french brand called Carbone Lorraine. OMG what a difference it has made to my bike.
Still bedding in, but the braking is fantastic with a great smooth progressive feeling in comparison to my previous pads. About a fiver more but they seem to have the type of feel that I like.
Will report back on how long they last....

Dan505
16-09-12, 10:23 PM
CL do the brakes for the eurostar plus a few other high end users

Swanny
17-09-12, 12:12 AM
The brakes on my Honda are rubbish

Splash
17-09-12, 06:53 AM
The brakes on my Honda are rubbish

+ 1

wheelers
17-09-12, 08:20 AM
CL have been round a while but we find people dont want to pay the extra, like EBC sintered better braking and last but wear the disc. they rather spend out on 2 sets of cheap ones . very good on a CCM640 on the road.
MOT regs say
" f.
(i) Brake linings or pads (other than sintered pads) less than 1.5mm thick at any point
(ii) Sintered brake pads less than 1mm thick at any point"

Dan505
17-09-12, 10:07 AM
EBC seem to be having a bit of bother with the latest batch 'catastrophic failure of the pad leading to disintegration at high speed/temps', whoops

Snowy
17-09-12, 10:24 AM
I have used HH Sintered EBC pads on the K1100RS for the last 10 years. I have just put a new set on ready for the MOT, the last set of front pads had done 30K and still had 2mm - 1.5mm left. They turned the brakes from being simply OK to fantastic - the bike is fitted with Brembo four pot calipers. I think I'm fairly easy on the brakes as the discs (which are floating) are wearing quite well - if they carry on as they are I'm expecting 80k+ miles from them.

On the GS I have switched from the standard Brembo pads (again the calipers are four pot Brembo's) to Ferodo Platinum which are organic. This did improve the braking on the GS however they don't have that continous "bite" that the HH sintered pads have on the K bike. Going on current wear rates I would see the discs lasting 100K or more. Next time I will put sintered pads on - I would rather replace discs and have fantastic braking power than worry over the shorter life.

Last Train
17-09-12, 10:55 AM
...... I would rather replace discs and have fantastic braking power than worry over the shorter life.

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/signs/smiley-vault-signs-016.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

Rabb
17-09-12, 07:28 PM
Guys - I am truly amazed by their performance.
I had to do a reasonably quick stop Today and it was progressive & controlled all the way.
I will be replacing the rear pads with CL in a couple of weeks time.
These pads get justifiably great reviews - and I'm still bedding in at the moment (God knows how good they will be in a few hundred miles time)
I will revert in November when I have a couple of Thousand miles on them.

For those who have said that their brakes are rubbish - change them to something that works better. My brakes are now better than stock (by quite a long way, believe me!)

wheelers
17-09-12, 09:38 PM
EBC seem to be having a bit of bother with the latest batch 'catastrophic failure of the pad leading to disintegration at high speed/temps', whoops

strange that, we did a customers drag star a couple of years ago , those pads failed and EBC sent us 7 pairs , one for customer and 6 for us as help towards refitting costs.

Wes
17-09-12, 09:50 PM
Yep replaced the discs recently for a ebc set off the bay, £40 the pair, and got a set of carbon pads from D2 moto on line and its transformed the braking and confidence no end :)