PDA

View Full Version : ER-5 - how long do they live?

Manners
03-09-12, 02:04 PM
Hi all,

I've only recently passed my DAS and I'm about to swap my CG 125 for an ER-5 as a good starting bike (commuter).

I know this ER has been very well looked after but it's an 02 with around 44k miles on it. Any idea how long these things will go on for if they are well looked after? I've been assured the oil and filters have been changed every 3k since new.

Cheers :)

Manners
03-09-12, 02:06 PM
The reason I am a little concerned about the mileage is that I've had a look at Autotrader, eBay, and MCN and couldn't find one with any more on the clock than mine out of a few hundred ER-5s.

Hopefully it will at least live a year or so until I get something more exciting!

Dabz
03-09-12, 02:44 PM
they seem to be pretty robust from what I've seen - I'm sure there are a few higher mileage ones in WB :)

goz1960
03-09-12, 04:14 PM
The main thing is to make sure the high mileage is reflected in the price you pay.

Kelpie
03-09-12, 04:15 PM
It's not the mileage that matters as much as how well it's been maintained. ;)

goz1960
03-09-12, 04:17 PM
It's not the mileage that matters as much as how well it's been maintained. ;)

That as well.

Beamer
03-09-12, 05:02 PM
ace bikes and very very cheap to repair when dropped lol. I love mine and it was a good step up after my YBR 125. Mine is a T reg with 31,000ish on the clock but it is sturdy, solid and makes me smile....a lot ;D ;D ;D ;D

Manners
03-09-12, 05:21 PM
Well I'm actually swapping it for the CG. Admittedly my CG is newer but it's had some damage so they're worth about the same price. He's thrown in some cash on top of the bike, and giving me brand new tires, a service, battery, fresh MOT, and a tank of fuel.

I'm probably losing out slightly in terms of actual value for value, but for the sheer convenience of swapping and not having to advertise my bike and potentially pay fees I'm happy with the trade. Really looking forward to getting the bike just waiting for Phil Stokes to let us know when it's ready. :)

Manners
03-09-12, 05:23 PM
I'm a bit concerned about my height (6'4) I think it might make the ER-5 a bit uncomfortable if I try to do some lengthy journeys (which I've been planning on doing).

If it is a bit uncomfortable I can always part exchange it and get something more appropriate in a few months time when I'm used to the extra power.

It almost has the same BHP as my car and weighs about 10x less so I'm sure it will keep me entertained for a while. :)

Loops
03-09-12, 07:15 PM
I'm tallish (5' 7") and looked at an ER5 - I didn't go for it as I wanted something bigger but I seem to remember it was pretty comfy to sit on.

You may find that there aren't alot for sale with higher mileage as after a while it's just not worth selling them on, better to keep them as a second runaround. There may well be a good few knocking about in garages still.

Senna(Dan)
03-09-12, 07:16 PM
Manners you will find that most bikes can do 100k if they are looked after. I don't know about the ER5 but there are a couple of couriers I know that have had to buy new clocks because the old ones stopped working at 99999!

Manners
04-09-12, 08:21 AM
That sounds promising. Thanks

Jon_W
10-09-12, 01:14 PM
I believe they are based of the jurassic GPZ500 engine. These engines, if looked after, live longer than most trees!!!! :D

NoYou
12-09-12, 12:50 PM
I'm a bit concerned about my height (6'4) I think it might make the ER-5 a bit uncomfortable if I try to do some lengthy journeys (which I've been planning on doing).

If it is a bit uncomfortable I can always part exchange it and get something more appropriate in a few months time when I'm used to the extra power.

It almost has the same BHP as my car and weighs about 10x less so I'm sure it will keep me entertained for a while. :)
I wouldn't worry about height , I'm 6'3 and ride a cb500 which is essentially the same bike. Can do 500+ miles only stopping for fuel without being uncomfortable :)

Jon_W
12-09-12, 01:54 PM
Fogot to add. Your big enemy will probably be rust. Most of these commuter bikes are built to a price and the finish is not the best.

wiggy
14-09-12, 09:11 PM
its gpz500 s based motor my gpz is heading for 59000 now if i did my sums right , a good replacment motor on ebay are about £150 so dont worry to much there lumpy as hell under 3 grand then smooth out nicely about 4 then go abit nuts at 6 ,there a solid motor iv abused mine alot and it allways starts and goes well love my gpz ,the en 500 ,and the kle trail bike also use the same motor and some other parts .so dont worry there bloody good bikes just need to look after it ;D

goz1960
14-09-12, 09:22 PM
Fogot to add. Your big enemy will probably be rust. Most of these commuter bikes are built to a price and the finish is not the best.

And will have been ridden in all weathers.

wiggy
17-09-12, 10:51 AM
Mine lives outside under a cover rust dont seem to bother it to much ,i ride all weathers and it polishes up a treat ,well as much as a treat as it can lol its allways been a bit rough to look at lol er5 may have a differnt build quality to mine im not sure iv only seen a few but all look very clean even after a few winters . ;D buy it enjoy it just keep on top of the dirt and oil and filters it should be fine .

Jon_W
18-09-12, 08:12 AM

And will have been ridden in all weathers.

Just clean it regularly, sepecially when the salt is down. Look at protecting the bike from the salt as well.

Senna(Dan)
18-09-12, 10:02 AM
Just clean it regularly, sepecially when the salt is down. Look at protecting the bike from the salt as well.

Speak to Nooj for salt protection, he is a master of the dark arts and for £50 you can't knock it.