PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Conehead
20-08-12, 11:38 AM
looks like im gonna finally get back on the road. :) :) :) :D

Just trying to get a feel for insurance as the Comprehensive is double the TPFT and wondered if it was worth it. Stupid question I know but I was not planning on writing her off just yet.

Anyway, just wanted to get a feel for who has what?

Nikki
20-08-12, 11:45 AM

Just trying to get a feel for insurance as the Comprehensive is double the TPFT and wondered if it was worth it. Stupid question I know but I was not planning on writing her off just yet.

I only insure my bikes TF&T but I dont usually have a bike which is worth very much so I'm happy to take the risk.

If I had a newer bike I'd certainly consider comprehensive insurance.

Dabz
20-08-12, 11:52 AM
Fully comp for me - though I went TPFT for years until the FC price became reasonable. Now I'm FC with helmet/leather cover too.

All depends how much the bike is worth really - last year when I had a couple of cheaper bikes knocking around too they were both TPFT to save money and because if they got stolen or wrecked it wouldn't lose me much money anyway

Mitch9128
20-08-12, 01:27 PM
FC all the way, TPFT is a nightmare if you need to claim.

Dan505
20-08-12, 03:05 PM
if you have one bike then FC, if a few then i guess TPFT is acceptable IMHO :)

Snowy
20-08-12, 03:27 PM
if you have one bike then FC, if a few then i guess TPFT is acceptable IMHO :)

Its like all insurance - its how much you want to balance the risk against how much it costs you in premiums. If you're Third Party and have an accident that's your fault you will have to pay for the repairs to your bike or scrap it. With Fully Comprehensive insurance you would get the repairs to your bike (and other stuff depending on the policy) paid for you less the excess. In both cases you will get a hike in next years premium as your personal risk has gone up due to the accident.

If your bikes worth £1,000 then the risk insuring it TPFT is £1,000 if you have an "at fault accident". If its worth £10,000 you risk losing £10,000. If you pay the higher premium for FC then your risk is only the excess on the policy which might only be a few hundred pounds. Your increase in the following year premiums as a result of the accident will be higher for FC than TPFT becasue the risk of a higher payout is greater.

Loops
20-08-12, 05:18 PM
Simple question - can you afford to replace/repair your bike if you damage it?

If you can - TPFT
If you can't - pay the extra and get FC.

However, bear in mind the FC excess - mine is TPFT because the excess was going to be only £200 less than the bike is worth :o

Wes
20-08-12, 05:21 PM
There wasnt a lot of difference between them for me, so its always going to be FC, plus i get the breakdown and legal cover as well.

Wes
20-08-12, 05:26 PM

I only insure my bikes TF&T but I dont usually have a bike which is worth very much so I'm happy to take the risk.

You should give it a compare next time Nikki, your bike is in excellent condition :)

Conehead
20-08-12, 05:30 PM
Cheers all. The excess is half the bikes value so doesnt make sense for FC. 8-)

Nikki
20-08-12, 07:00 PM

You should give it a compare next time Nikki, your bike is in excellent condition :)

That's very kind of you :)

Makes me even more careful ;) ;D

I reckon I must have Scottish ancestry too tight to pay Comprehensive premiums really. ;D ;D

The trouble is the longer I go without having to make a claim the harder it is to part with cash for Comprehensive cover.

Snowy
20-08-12, 07:14 PM

I reckon I must have Scottish ancestry too tight to pay Comprehensive premiums really. ;D ;D

The trouble is the longer I go without having to make a claim the harder it is to part with cash for Comprehensive cover.

You should at least get a quote - my premium goes up if I get a quote for TPFT. Apparantly there are more people of my age/history who have accidents with TPFT than FC so they adjust the premiums accordingly. Thats the same for cars and bikes for me :)

Nikki
20-08-12, 08:09 PM

You should at least get a quote - my premium goes up if I get a quote for TPFT. Apparantly there are more people of my age/history who have accidents with TPFT than FC so they adjust the premiums accordingly. Thats the same for cars and bikes for me :)

Yep always do all the comparisons before renewing. TFPT is a lot cheaper for me than comprehensive.

BB
20-08-12, 08:20 PM
I've been FC for more years than I care to remember. Worked well for me when I wrote the Bonny off hitting a deer. Worked well for Ghost too when he wrote off the car a few years back and more recently when some clown in a car (claiming he was a biker) knocked him off in Salisbury earlier this year. :)

BB

cerruti
20-08-12, 08:23 PM
There's more to consider than just the value of the bike.....

If you were to have an accident, would your daily routine be disrupted if you were suddenly without a bike? Do you rely on the bike as transport? Do you have alternative transport?

I recently had an argument with a 40 tonne truck and I was grateful for my fully comp insurance...

My insurance arranged recovery for me and my bike, they got a hire bike out to me the next day, they handled all the legal stuff for me, got the 3rd party to admit liability, sorted all the repairs to my bike, arranged physio for my damaged knee, and generally handled everything smoothly with minimum effort required from me.

FC is worth considering imo.

Nikki
20-08-12, 09:36 PM
There's more to consider than just the value of the bike.....

If you were to have an accident, would your daily routine be disrupted if you were suddenly without a bike? Do you rely on the bike as transport? Do you have alternative transport?

I recently had an argument with a 40 tonne truck and I was grateful for my fully comp insurance...

My insurance arranged recovery for me and my bike, they got a hire bike out to me the next day, they handled all the legal stuff for me, got the 3rd party to admit liability, sorted all the repairs to my bike, arranged physio for my damaged knee, and generally handled everything smoothly with minimum effort required from me.

FC is worth considering imo.

That's a really good point, my bikes my toy and not essential transport if I relied on it I'd definitely seriously consider comprehensive.

voodoo
20-08-12, 10:14 PM
Depends on your personal circumstances but fully comp for me

Jacde
18-09-12, 01:49 PM
I have just insured the bike with Ducati for £147 fully comp, not bad for only 2 years of bike riding under my belt, happy days 8-)

Senna(Dan)
18-09-12, 02:47 PM
I have got multibike fully comp.
Only did this because MCE have given me a nil excess policy for an extra £100, but this also included all the extra stuff that usually costs a fortune. It cost me £75 more but is much better than a combined excess of £875!