PDA

View Full Version : Tyre predicament

Rabb
18-09-12, 09:20 PM
I will need to change my front tyre in the next few weeks.

I am currently running a Bridgestone 023 on the rear.
I am happy with the 023 but I really liked what I had on there before
(Michelin Pilot Power 2CT)

I know that they are two completely different types of tyres but I want to move back to the Michelins when I next change the rear.
Mixing is not usually a problem and I currently have a 2CT on the front which needs to be changed.

What do I do

1. Replace front with Bridgestone 023
2. Replace front with Michelin PP 2CT (awaiting new rear in about 6 months time)

Let me know your thoughts guys & gals...

NoYou
18-09-12, 09:43 PM
Change the front to the michelin and crack on, never heard any issues with mixing tyres on the road. On track i can understand why it would start causing issues, you're working the tyre that much harder and pushing it that much further. On the road its unlikely you will be going fast enough to even notice the difference imho. I ran random part worns on my RS and didn't notice anything at all

Rabb
18-09-12, 09:50 PM
Thanks G3O

I tend to accelerate quite hard when I have an open road and I have had a couple of small losses of traction which I never had with the Michelin. The Michelins also felt more planted into corners and bends due to the softer compound. The 023's are quite a lot harder - giving better longevity.
I think I will probably crack on with the 2 CT front awaiting the return on the rear.
Thanks for the input bud.

SupeRDel
18-09-12, 10:03 PM
Not sure why you asked the question when you already knew the answer.. :D

wheelers
18-09-12, 10:06 PM
mate of mine had loads of trouble with tyre set ups on his VFR, Gixxer 11 and 750, used to change one tyre at a time for what h e could get, then moaned about not handling on the road. I allways reccomend matching pairs and with todays offers they are well priced. last thing you need is the tyres argueing with each other in the twisty bits or in the wet.

Rabb
18-09-12, 10:42 PM
Not sure why you asked the question when you already knew the answer.. :D

I just wanted opinions on mixing tyres.
I'm not aware of any problems - but others maybe

Rabb
18-09-12, 10:45 PM
mate of mine had loads of trouble with tyre set ups on his VFR, Gixxer 11 and 750, used to change one tyre at a time for what h e could get, then moaned about not handling on the road. I allways reccomend matching pairs and with todays offers they are well priced. last thing you need is the tyres argueing with each other in the twisty bits or in the wet.

I changed to the Bridgestones due to wear resistance - but in hindsight I am not willing to sacrifice handling & feel.

Swanny
18-09-12, 11:10 PM
I think your insurance is invalid if you mix tyre makes????

Nikki
19-09-12, 09:11 AM
I don't know for sure whether it will effect your insurance but as I see it the trouble with mixing tyres is that it's trial and error whether they work OK together.

Manufacturers don't test different brands of tyres for obvious reasons, and they sometimes don't even recommend mixing some of there own tyres because of individual characteristics of certain tyres.

It all just seems a bit too risky for me.

We rely so much on tyres when riding bikes.

I like to know I'm riding on a matching pair of tyres, suitable for my bike, which have been fully tried and tested but each to there own.

Snowy
19-09-12, 10:12 AM
There are some mixes of tyre types that do break the vehicle regs and would fail an MOT although these would be a very rare mix on motorcycles as they are mostly concerned with cars. My issue would be around insurance when mixing tyres if only from the point of view of my piece of mind. In the event of an accident investigation I just don't want the added hassle of explaining to an insurance assessor that my mixed tyres were not a contributory cause especially if the circumstances of the incident involved tyres and grip in some way. In this case our own opinions as bikers would be worthless even though a lot of us don't see a problem with mismatched tyres in a practical sense.

You'll get a whole load of bikers say that they have never had any issues with doing this and that is their view. Trouble is, it won't be the view of your insurers if they can use it as a reason to reduce their liability and place it with you instead. And you will not find any manufacturer willing to state that a mismatched pair of tyres is as good and as safe as a matched pair. I would put money on that one.

So at the end of the day its one of those personal decisions you have to make - I don't believe its illegal to fit certain types of mismatched tyres but you may have to accept some form of question regarding your insurance should you have an incident where they may (in your insurers eyes) have been a contributory factor. Of course, if you never have an accident than there's no problem ;)

Mark_Able
19-09-12, 07:54 PM
Never had an issue with mixing tyres. The manufacturers don't recommend it, but I think that's because they want you to buy a pair of tyres, not just one. I've even known people mix tyres on race bikes before. I knew someone who raced in the wet with a race wet on the front, and a normal treaded road tyre on the rear. Not recommended, but he did stay on it... :o