PDA

View Full Version : Support for a person with Learning Disabilities

muriel
31-08-12, 08:02 PM
I am a social worker and I support a person who has Learning Disabilities and would really like to be a biker. He is going to need a lot of training to achieve this and it will be a great challenge for him, shall he ever were to become one.

I was wondering if there are any clubs in Wiltshire that would be happy to offer him an associate membership, a badge or anything that would make him feel like a part of the community? Perhaps there is a club which members could go and visit him from time to time?

The guy is being harassed and bullied by local youths because of his Learning Disabilities and is gradually becoming more isolated and anxious.

Is there anyone who has any ideas or is willing to support the guy? He lives in Devizes.

Dan505
31-08-12, 08:09 PM
Hi,
Sorry to hear about the youths, they're arses!
If he was to join Wiltshire Bikers he would be able to get branded clothing with his forum name on (for a price of course).

His/your best bet is to contact a local a riding school and exlore his options with regards to learning/ training on becoming a biker.

Hope you get some proper help as not much more I can think of :)

Dabz
31-08-12, 08:15 PM
He's more than welcome to join us lot - you don't even need a bike to join the forums and join in the chat and at the meets :)

Conehead
31-08-12, 08:28 PM
A long shot I know but maybe if we have a small group ride out and visit him the yobs harassing him might think twice, who knows it might even make him more popular. I would happily ride out and give it a go. 8-) 8-) 8-)

muriel
31-08-12, 08:50 PM
@Conehead - great idea! Would you seriously be able to do it? :D

goz1960
31-08-12, 08:52 PM
A long shot I know but maybe if we have a small group ride out and visit him the yobs harassing him might think twice, who knows it might even make him more popular. I would happily ride out and give it a go. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Me to I am sur ewe could arrange something along these lines.

goz1960
31-08-12, 08:54 PM

Me to I am sur ewe could arrange something along these lines.

What is his location were about in Wiltshire are we talking?

Wes
31-08-12, 08:56 PM
You can always look in the events and see if there's anything going on that he could attend and meet a few of us, theres a race day at castle coombe tomorrow and theres a WB stand, also he could always order a t shirt with his name and Wiltshire Bikers printed on it, best off speaking to Dabz on that one :)

Beamer
31-08-12, 08:58 PM
Hi There Muriel,

N.A.B.D is a group designed especially for people with disabilities, (National Association for Bikers with Disabilities) They enable people with physical disabilities to get on bikes, trikes and have their own fund raisers and meets. I know you mentioned learning disabilities but I am sure they would be able to add him in their mailing lists and Im sure he could become a member. They are a massive group and have a very large following. They have a web site too that he could also join.
I don't know if they do motorcycle training but it would be worth contacting them to find out whats available.

In saying that, I dont want you to think I am re-directing you. As Dabz said he is more than welcome to come along to a meet (Harp and Crown in Gastard, Nr Melksham) if he can get there on a Wednesday night. If we are given a couple of days notice one of us would ensure he isnt left out on his own and would introduce him to a few of the members. A few of us are also CRB checked as we also work in the 'industry' and are aware of the issues faced.

:) :) :) :) :)

Toph
31-08-12, 09:09 PM
Muriel.. he would be welcome to join Wiltshire Bikers. :)

A rideout to meet him sounds like a great Idea.. maybe we could chipin and buy him a polo shirt with the WB logo and his name on.. and present it to him as a fully fledged member of the club. I'm sure a feeling of belonging would improve his self esteem and confidence.

Just throwing an idea into the ring.. :)

redken1
31-08-12, 09:12 PM

A rideout to meet him sounds like a great Idea.. maybe we could chipin and buy him a polo shirt with the WB logo and his name on.. and present it to him as a fully fledged member of the club. I'm sure a feeling of belonging would improve his self esteem and confidence.

+1

Conehead
31-08-12, 09:22 PM
@Conehead - great idea! Would you seriously be able to do it? :D

@Muriel. I will gladly do this and it sounds like a few of the WB members are willing to do it as well.

goz1960
31-08-12, 10:54 PM

+1

+2

muriel
01-09-12, 02:52 PM
you reduced me to tears, guys...

I can only imagine how happy he will be to have biker friends!

I'll have a chat with Peter (that's his name) and his support worker and will get back to you on Monday.

You are great!

Dan505
01-09-12, 04:27 PM
don't be daft Muriel we're not great....Wiltshire Bikers are awesome! ;D and always ready to help :)

Ducatista
01-09-12, 04:35 PM
Hi Muriel - I am a volunteer bike tutor and ride out with students on a 1 to 1 basis to help them improve their riding.
I would be happy to go out with Peter (for free) and make sure he is safe and help to build his confidence when he is ready.

Obviously first he would have to do Compulsorary Basic Training with the professionals.

You are right - what a great community.

Goldie
02-09-12, 09:28 PM
I'm up for this too, great idea :)

Col
03-09-12, 11:25 AM
I'd mooch along if able. Would there'd be a pub meet for this ?

Dabz
03-09-12, 12:26 PM
I'm happy to be on board with taking a load of bikes to this chap for his enjoyment, but don't like the idea of "mob culture, let's show these bullies a thing or to" - that's not what WB represents

Conehead
03-09-12, 01:14 PM
I'm happy to be on board with taking a load of bikes to this chap for his enjoyment, but don't like the idea of "mob culture, let's show these bullies a thing or to" - that's not what WB represents

Who mentioned showing the bullies a thing or two, I hope my original message was not misinterpreted, I do not agree with the bullying culture.

BB
03-09-12, 01:56 PM
Anyone is welcome to join WB, the more the merrier. However, I can't see that a band of bikers turning up to show a guy their bikes is going to stop yobs harrassing anyone. :-?

BB

muriel
04-09-12, 09:52 AM
I spoke to Peter and he is very excited at the idea of bikers visiting him! :D If you are still willing to organise that, please pm me - we can talk about the details.

bubblylittleme
04-09-12, 05:50 PM
I'm happy to join the group to visit him too and if he would like a ride out on the back of my/ or someone elses bike I'm sure we can arrange that too...depending on getting gear to fit him.

Swanny
04-09-12, 06:18 PM
Anyone is welcome to join WB, the more the merrier. However, I can't see that a band of bikers turning up to show a guy their bikes is going to stop yobs harrassing anyone. :-?

BB
It depends what we do to them ;D

Conehead
04-09-12, 07:24 PM
I am not very good at organising but would love to join in with this. Is there anyone that is able to organise?

Beamer
04-09-12, 10:14 PM
Hate to be a party pooper here but if I was to invite a load of people (that id never met before) to visit a vulnerable persons home (where they live alone in an 'unprotected' environment) I would face an immediate disciplinary............. Anyone could tag along etc.....and we do not know every single biker on here personally and cannot vouch for everyone (it's a sad world we live in)
And before anyone takes offence please don't take it personally, it's a fact

If this was your son and you heard a load of bikers were going to visit his home wouldn't you just be a little concerned???

Swanny
04-09-12, 11:35 PM
I think I'd be happy if they were going to visit my son.
This country seems to thrive on fear

Beamer
05-09-12, 07:00 AM
I think I'd be happy if they were going to visit my son.
This country seems to thrive on fear

Thats because you might be open,genuine ,honest and transparent...........but not everyone is......this thread is visible to every person on the www.........and we are all well aware of the types of people who use the Internet these days.......not everyone is who or what they say they are........I'm just pointing out the other side of the coin.......I have worked with vulnerable people all my working life and am well aware of the kindness and generosity of an awful lot of folk......I've also seen the other side where trusting complete strangers, making friends with them etc can lead to umm unforeseen issues.
Can you vouch for everyone on and off the forum???

I'm all for the young lad coming along to a meet with his social worker or support person.....ace idea.....but for us to visit him at his home??

Maybe I am being over cautious but that's my day job :) :) :)

BB
05-09-12, 07:19 AM
I agree with you on this Beamer, think about it a little folks

BB

Gerry
05-09-12, 08:27 AM
Thats because you might be open,genuine ,honest and transparent...........but not everyone is......this thread is visible to every person on the www.........and we are all well aware of the types of people who use the Internet these days.......not everyone is who or what they say they are........I'm just pointing out the other side of the coin.......I have worked with vulnerable people all my working life and am well aware of the kindness and generosity of an awful lot of folk......I've also seen the other side where trusting complete strangers, making friends with them etc can lead to umm unforeseen issues.
Can you vouch for everyone on and off the forum???

I'm all for the young lad coming along to a meet with his social worker or support person.....ace idea.....but for us to visit him at his home??

Maybe I am being over cautious but that's my day job :) :) :)

Wise words Tina [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Dabz
05-09-12, 08:55 AM
It's a bloody good point..

Snowy
05-09-12, 08:57 AM
I've got to support Beamer on this to - based upon my day job as well. I know a lot of posts have been tongue in cheek about turning up en masse etc., but if anything did go wrong on the day, those posts would be seen in another light. Lets welcome him with open arms at one of our meets, as Beamer says, with the support he's used to and in a safe environment :)

Dan505
05-09-12, 10:21 AM
makes sense when laid out for us to see properly

Swanny
05-09-12, 11:07 AM
It's such a shame that we live in a world that people automatically think the worst. There are many many more good people out there than bad.
Personally I prefer to trust people. 8-)

goz1960
05-09-12, 11:10 AM
Hate to be a party pooper here but if I was to invite a load of people (that id never met before) to visit a vulnerable persons home (where they live alone in an 'unprotected' environment) I would face an immediate disciplinary............. Anyone could tag along etc.....and we do not know every single biker on here personally and cannot vouch for everyone (it's a sad world we live in)
And before anyone takes offence please don't take it personally, it's a fact

If this was your son and you heard a load of bikers were going to visit his home wouldn't you just be a little concerned???

I work as a prison officer so see first hand that all people are not as they may first appear. However I see no reason that a select few could not do as this young man wants.

Hunar
05-09-12, 01:45 PM
I would imagine that the majority of people who would attend this trip would be of the 'nice' breed with no other intention than to maybe brighten up someones day. Of course should someone turn up who is not of this type, the rest of the people would be there to ensure safety.

Obviously we don't want to do something that would get someone fired or in trouble with their job, so if this does happen we would need to ensure that we had the 'green light' from the organisation that provides his care, so we would need to liase with them. I agree this seems like a huge amount of trouble to lift someones spirits, but we do have to ensure that we work within the rules for our protection as well as the protection of the person and his caregivers.

Probably the best solution would be for him to attend our offcial meet at the harp and crowns bike night on a wednesday. He would have more bikes to look at, more people to chat to, and the food and drinks are fantastic and cheap. Last time i checked you could get a burger (a bloody good burger as well), chips (damned fine chips) and free tea all night for £5. If I know WB then I am sure that people will be happy to donate a bit of change to buy this for him, possibly a T-shirt as well. All we would need to know is when he arrives so that we can meet him.

Of course he is welcome to join the forum, it's free and he doesn't need to have a bike.

Hunar
05-09-12, 01:50 PM
And while I agree with you Tina, if I knew a load of bikers where going to visit my son for no other reason than to brighten his day. Well I would be humbled that people would want to do that for a complete stranger, and I would be there to meet and thank all of them for doing it.

If it's going to happen, then we need to make sure it's with the consent of the organisation responsible for his care.

Kevinb
05-09-12, 01:54 PM
If I'm available I will join a rideout to Devizes to meet him.
Please let me know when and I will also donate towards T-shirt/Cap etc.

Beamer
05-09-12, 04:52 PM
And while I agree with you Tina, if I knew a load of bikers where going to visit my son for no other reason than to brighten his day. Well I would be humbled that people would want to do that for a complete stranger, and I would be there to meet and thank all of them for doing it.

If it's going to happen, then we need to make sure it's with the consent of the organisation responsible for his care.

I know loads of you lot are fantastic,kind people who would never even think of the darker sides of a persons vulnerability....blimey, I organised the run to a residential home.
But this was cleared because the residents had staff there and the residents safety was never compromised etc etc.

In the case of your son, Hunar, again I'd be one of the first to get aboard but Muriel hasn't really made it very clear as to what the expectations are, maybe he lives within an environment that would be fine for visitors/strangers without putting anyone at risk.

I am not one of the PC brigade that wants to ruin things......far bloody from it. I just want the young man to have fun and feel empowered without putting him at risk. Muriel said he is vulnerable and that means we have a duty to protect the more vulnerable of society......in that I mean ensuring his home address is not made public etc to a person none of us knows, who has a bike and could befriend and visit at other times.....This is the way things happen in the darker part of the world where not everyone is good natured, trustworthy, kind hearted and puts another's needs before their own.

I really am sorry and I hate having to bring this sort of stuff to light ....but it really does happen out there and if people aren't aware then it could happen without anyone else's knowledge.

Hopefully Muriel will bring him along to a meet and as Snowy said we can give him a massive welcome with a burger and chips thrown in :) :) :) :)

wiltshire builders
05-09-12, 05:32 PM
I don't think Tina is implying that anyone would do anything on the visit.
But what would stop them returning at a later date having already established trust?
Not really worth the risk is it?

cerruti
05-09-12, 07:09 PM
I totally agree with Beamer on this issue and support the points she has raised.

Unfortunately, it is a sign of the times :'(

20 years ago there were no such welfare concerns or political correctness issues to worry about, but nowadays kids can't even play with conkers or marbles in school as they are considered dangerous ::)

What has this world come to :o

Col
05-09-12, 08:49 PM
The one 'on the dark side' could 'friendly up' the vulnerable one at the 'safe meet place' after finding out when and where it was taking place and is told the address and gets himself 'invited' to the house :-?

Seems to me that whatever is done will have some question marks and doubts about it :-/

Can o worms this has turned into :D

camera.op76
05-09-12, 09:07 PM
F**kin sad state of affairs this! WHAT IF! A little of your time with this kiddy, looking at the bikes, having a chat could have a HUGELY profound not to mention positive effect on this lad.

I'm assuming he's in supported housing, or something similar... If he's in that kinda environment - then there should be no issue, being a bit cautious is no bad thing.

Not everyones a Monster!

Lets go! :)

goz1960
05-09-12, 10:14 PM
F**kin sad state of affairs this! WHAT IF! A little of your time with this kiddy, looking at the bikes, having a chat could have a HUGELY profound not to mention positive effect on this lad.

I'm assuming he's in supported housing, or something similar... If he's in that kinda environment - then there should be no issue, being a bit cautious is no bad thing.

Not everyones a Monster!

Yes well said im up for a little ride out to Devises

Conehead
05-09-12, 10:57 PM

Not everyones a Monster!

I'm in. I know none of you know me but I am a genuine bloke with no other plans but to try and brighten this guys day up.

Let me know when and Ill be there.

Kevinb
07-09-12, 01:35 PM

Not everyones a Monster!

I'm in. I know none of you know me but I am a genuine bloke with no other plans but to try and brighten this guys day up.

Let me know when and Ill be there.

+1

Being 'Old' I don't believe/like all this PC rubbish. Lets just go along and put a little light into this chaps life.

muriel
07-09-12, 03:22 PM
Hi all,

Peter would be happy for you to come, and so is his support worker, who will have to be present during the visit. Peter is advised not to let anyone in when he is on his own, therefore it would not be appropriate for us to encourage him to do the opposite :) so good point there, Beamer - you are not being a party pooper, common sense, really.

I have discussed your visit with my seniors and the police too and they too think this is a great idea!

All I need to know now to organise this is, (as I pm'd conehead) the time, date (say in two weeks time?) as I need to pass it on to Peter and his support worker to make sure she is there and we have enough tea and biscuits ;)

Beamer
07-09-12, 05:52 PM
Glad this is covered and sorted Muriel

Kevb this pc rubbish was all introduced to protect vulnerable people from all the different types of abuse out there......I'm sure you remember 2young girls who were murdered by their school caretaker, the kids that were abused in their care home, vulnerable people who are just taken advantage of by others...........not believing in it won't make it go away sadly.....it's out there and i will always continue to fight for/ protect/ heighten awareness for the less able in society.........someone has to else no-one will know/care that it happens daily.....yes I am passionate about it.....it's my job!!!!

Conehead
10-09-12, 07:51 PM
Hi All

Just trying to fix my bike at the moment but still on for this. Is there someone on here that is able to arrange something as I am crap at those things.

Muriel, i am really glad that you got the advice first from Police, Support worker etc as it is always better to make sure the correct people are visiting and there will be no abuse, misadventure, etc.

bubblylittleme
10-09-12, 11:02 PM
Muriel...Is this better for him one day at the weekend or an evening?

muriel
11-09-12, 04:32 PM
Definitely daytime and between Tuesday and Friday. We also need to think of a plan of the visit plus would be good to meet up before we all go :)

Appologies I do not reply quick enough sometimes :(

bubblylittleme
11-09-12, 05:28 PM
Definitely daytime and between Tuesday and Friday. We also need to think of a plan of the visit plus would be good to meet up before we all go :)

Appologies I do not reply quick enough sometimes :(

This might be hard as I have tried to get a group to pop into St Nicholas Special School, chippenham in the daytime on a Friday and most people are working so very few available but I may be wrong.

I could manage 4.30pm onwards possibly depending on the day of the week.

Swanny
11-09-12, 06:11 PM
Being 'Old' I don't believe/like all this PC rubbish. Lets just go along and put a little light into this chaps life.

Well said. [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Nikki
11-09-12, 06:26 PM
Glad this is covered and sorted Muriel

Kevb this pc rubbish was all introduced to protect vulnerable people from all the different types of abuse out there......I'm sure you remember 2young girls who were murdered by their school caretaker, the kids that were abused in their care home, vulnerable people who are just taken advantage of by others...........not believing in it won't make it go away sadly.....it's out there and i will always continue to fight for/ protect/ heighten awareness for the less able in society.........someone has to else no-one will know/care that it happens daily.....yes I am passionate about it.....it's my job!!!!

I for one am VERY glad we have people like you :)

Thankfully I dont see that horrible side of human nature but am really glad people like you care passionately to look after others. :)

Goldie
11-09-12, 11:23 PM
I can do any week day up til the 26th sept when I'll be back at uni, then I can only do mon & tues til November. Then I'm on full time placement and unavailable every day :(
Be really good to get this arranged :)

camera.op76
20-09-12, 11:46 AM
any news on this moving forward?

Conehead
20-09-12, 07:18 PM
any news on this moving forward?

Curious as well

Goldie
20-09-12, 07:59 PM
Yep, I was wondering this too :)