PDA

View Full Version : France scraps bike ban for older bikes

alanTDM
22-09-12, 04:20 PM
After much campaigning by FFMC (MAG's sister organisation in France) we hear that the French Government have now scrapped the idea of banning older vehicles from city centres. The original idea was that 8 major cities in France would introduce access restrictions on bikes built before 2004 under the guise of improving air quality. This was a nonsensical idea given that bikes of any age will always be moving in an urban area and never adding to congestion and thus increased pollution in the way that stationary cars do, no matter how new they are. The move would also have penalised those who chose older bikes for financial reasons, or, perversely, because they felt the carbon footprint of producing a completely new machine, was an environmental price they didn't want to pay. This is a huge success for riders' rights and campaigning. Well done FFMC
-- Paddy Tyson Campaigns Coordinator Motorcycle Action Group

Swanny
22-09-12, 05:50 PM
Great news [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Nelly
22-09-12, 06:10 PM
should bloody well think so too [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Dan505
22-09-12, 06:18 PM
Finally the French get something right

Senna(Dan)
22-09-12, 06:44 PM
What a stupid idea to begin with, older cars may be a bigger pollutant but at least they don't pollute as much as the manufacture of a new Prius.

Mark_Able
22-09-12, 08:08 PM
That also means we're not going to see such stupidity in the UK too. Good news all round... ;)

Rabb
22-09-12, 09:01 PM
Good News.
I must admit that if this had of come in - I for one would have ignored it!
I have had enough of this kind of crap!

redken1
22-09-12, 09:56 PM
Ordinary folk can make a difference if they don't roll over and let the ruling class tickle their bellies.

A victory for common sense [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

wiggy
22-09-12, 10:49 PM
uk will prolly take it up the arse and ban everything over a week old .

BB
23-09-12, 04:04 PM
Good news, especially as everything I own at the present is an 'older' bike :D

BB

Goldie
25-09-12, 09:31 AM
TFFT!

Jon_W
25-09-12, 10:21 AM
Common sense strikes. There were all sorts of issues surrounding that idea and it's dropping was inevitable.