PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a nice 5 to 6 hour ride

Nikki
29-09-12, 06:15 PM
Anyone got any suggestions for a nice ride about 5 to 6 hours?

I tend to head to the South coast a lot and would quite like something a bit different for a day off next week and wondered if anyone has any good suggestions?

I really dont mind what sort of roads I ride on.

Swanny
29-09-12, 07:02 PM
Have you been to Brecon in Wales??
The A40 is amazing [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Beamer
29-09-12, 08:22 PM
That A40 will always be one of my best ever memories of 2012 !!

9 WBer's and one mini owned that road for a while and it was like something out of a film !!

Absolutely ace ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jacde
29-09-12, 08:46 PM
A40 is ace [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
get to it via Tintern or thru the forest of Dean

camera.op76
29-09-12, 10:05 PM
her name was... ;D

wiltshire builders
30-09-12, 12:33 PM
Head for north Devon.

Pick up the A39 at Bath and head to Wells, Glastonbury then Bridgewater.

Still on the A39 follow the coast road along to Lynmouth. Get some fish and chips then head for Simonsbath, Weddon Cross and back to Glastonbury.

The roads are amazing and there's hardly any traffic. This route can be done in as little as 4.5hrs or 6 if you take it steady and stop for lunch.

Be warned there are no petrol stations once you hit Exmoor so make sure you fill up at Bridgewater.

Nikki
30-09-12, 04:55 PM
Thanks all.

Wales and the A40 it is - have been looking on the map and sorted a great route to include some roads I've not been on too. Cant wait. :)

I'm also going to keep the run to North Devon in mind for another day especially if I can take some time off before the cold and grotty weather is here.

Thanks again all :)

Scotty
30-09-12, 08:01 PM
Head for north Devon.

Pick up the A39 at Bath and head to Wells, Glastonbury then Bridgewater.

Still on the A39 follow the coast road along to Lynmouth.......
NOOOOOOO! The A39 from Street onwards is really rubbish - 50 limits and lots of traffic, and the other side of Bridgwater was a total mare when we did Mikkie's ride to Minehead in August; nose-to-tail cars, 40 limits and solid white lines for most of the way, truly awful (it would be a lovely road without those elements, but it's designated as a Red Route due to people's ambition outweighing their talent all too often ::)) - turn off the A39 after Street and take the A361 to Taunton, from there take the B3227 (an excellent road with far less traffic on it) until you meet the A396, turn North up the twisty Exe valley, through Wheddon Cross and rejoin the A39 just outside Minehead. Take Porlock Hill to get to Lynmouth, it's a real giggle 8-)

Snowy
30-09-12, 08:11 PM
[quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1348938912/5#5 date=1349004839] turn off the A39 after Street and take the A361 to Taunton, from there take the B3227 (an excellent road with far less traffic on it) until you meet the A396, turn North up the twisty Exe valley, through Wheddon Cross and rejoin the A39 just outside Minehead. Take Porlock Hill to get to Lynmouth, it's a real giggle 8-)

That's pretty much the route for the Porlock rideout in a couple of weeks time :)

Jon_W
01-10-12, 07:56 AM
Go to the Ogri Cafe (now Wessons) in Horam. Is at the other end of the A272, a brilliant biking road.

Nikki
01-10-12, 10:43 AM
Go to the Ogri Cafe (now Wessons) in Horam. Is at the other end of the A272, a brilliant biking road.

Thanks a lot Jon - that's another one to add to my list :)