PDA

View Full Version : Anti-fog Pinlock any good?

Nikki
15-09-12, 06:22 PM
I went out early this morning on the bike in the fog and ended up having to ride for quite a while with my visor up to keep it clear. I've been thinking of getting an anti-fog Pinlock insert - has anyone got one and are they worth getting?

wiltshire builders
15-09-12, 06:34 PM
Very good. Unfortunately I damaged my pinlock visor so had to revert back to a standard one. :-[

Swanny
15-09-12, 07:00 PM
Brilliant things, get one straight away. You can't even fog them up on purpose :)

Mitch9128
15-09-12, 07:00 PM
Excellent, all my visors have pinlock, although i normally only need one in winter/foggy conditions.

Rabb
15-09-12, 07:05 PM
Yep - they are worth getting.
I've got a couple (1 clear & 1 smoked for when we see that yellow thing)
Do it, go get one Nikki

Nikki
15-09-12, 07:11 PM
Thanks all - I'm convinced.

Ebay here I come :)

Rabb
15-09-12, 07:25 PM
Nikki - while you're waiting for it to arrive try this.
Put a small amount of fairy liquid on the inside of your visor - rub it in, and leave to dry.
Then buff off with a micro-fibre cloth.

You will find that it will be difficult to fog up as the fairy acts as a sufactant (breaks down water surface tension) - shaving cream also does the same job!

These work better than anything I have tried specifically for a fogging problem.

goz1960
15-09-12, 07:40 PM
Put a small amount of fairy liquid on the inside of your visor - rub it in, and leave to dry.

You will find that it will be difficult to fog up as the fairy acts as a sufactant (breaks down water surface tension) - shaving cream also does the same job!

These work better than anything I have tried specifically for a fogging problem.

Can recommend this.

Nikki
15-09-12, 08:14 PM

Thank you.

I'll give that a try.

:)

Scotty
15-09-12, 11:27 PM
Top Tip: If trying the washing up liquid (or any soap except the gritty de-grease your hands types), apply it very sparingly as too much will leave your visor a bit smeary. Trial and error will get you there soon enough.

Important bit: if it rains whilst using the soap trick before fitting a Pinlock, keep your visor closed! Water running down the inside of the visor will wash off your carefully applied anti-fog film :(

Nikki
16-09-12, 05:43 PM
Top Tip: If trying the washing up liquid (or any soap except the gritty de-grease your hands types), apply it very sparingly as too much will leave your visor a bit smeary. Trial and error will get you there soon enough.

Important bit: if it rains whilst using the soap trick before fitting a Pinlock, keep your visor closed! Water running down the inside of the visor will wash off your carefully applied anti-fog film :(

Thanks a lot Scotty.

I am too impatient.

Ordered one tinted one from Ebay and bought a clear one from the Mega Motorcycle Store in Swindon this afternoon.

I've just been trying as hard as I could to get it to mist up by breathing on it with my helmet on sat in my kitchen (looked and sounded very odd :) :)) and glad to say I failed.

Swanny
16-09-12, 06:43 PM
Yea you won't fog it up even if you wear it in the bath [smiley=bath.gif]

Nikki
16-09-12, 08:43 PM
Yea you won't fog it up even if you wear it in the bath [smiley=bath.gif]

I'll take your word for that ;D ;D ;D

Rabb
16-09-12, 08:45 PM
What do you do with your helmet in the bath Swanny???

Last Train
16-09-12, 08:52 PM
Yep, can't fault them

Swanny
16-09-12, 09:27 PM
What do you do with your helmet in the bath Swanny???
Better ask the GF :-X

A13X4ND7A
17-09-12, 09:14 AM
Ooo this sounds like something I could do with, I hate it fogging up, I get in a right fluster. Its bad enough when it rains and ends up getting on the inside because I cant see after I wiped it and it fogs so I open my visor :o

Nikki
17-09-12, 09:16 AM
Ooo this sounds like something I could do with, I hate it fogging up, I get in a right fluster. Its bad enough when it rains and ends up getting on the inside because I cant see after I wiped it and it fogs so I open my visor :o

I went for the full works the Pinlock insert and some visor rain repellant...so bring on the rain and fog. Well not quite but I'm ready when its here ;) :)

A13X4ND7A
17-09-12, 09:21 AM
where to did you get that from? I shall invest in that too. Is this rain repellent any good?

Snowy
17-09-12, 10:09 AM
I find pinlock inserts are OK for the vast majority of occasions although once or twice a year I will still need to keep the visor slightly open as I think they need a bit of airflow to help. I also use Fogtech on my glasses which works extremely well. It can also be used inside visors but I find it can leave a slightly oily residue to see through. Not such a problem with glasses that are closer to the eye. Pinlocks do need to be fitted correctly for the right fit - the pins can be rotated to give a tighter or looser fit to make sure the insert is sealed to prevent moisture getting in between the visor.

Never had any luck myself with the fairy liquid approach. When will we get heated visor inserts?

Nikki
17-09-12, 10:44 AM
where to did you get that from? I shall invest in that too. Is this rain repellent any good?

I'll tell you when its rained. :)

I got a bottle when I was at the old George Whites in Swindon yesterday, made by Wurth, it was in one of the cheapie bins £2. It smells alot like RainX which I used to use on my car ages ago and was brilliant.

A13X4ND7A
17-09-12, 10:52 AM
ooo fabby. Ok I will await your outcome and shall look to getting me some :D

Goldie
17-09-12, 11:00 AM
I used fairy liquid on mine because I had a Caberg helmet with built in shades. :-/
Got a new Shark one now - still with built in shades. I love my flip front helmets, me. ;D

Geordie Stu
17-09-12, 11:07 AM
Pinlock are good. I've got a clear & tinted. Not tried the washing up liquad tip, Shall give it a go [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Goldie
17-09-12, 02:31 PM
my visor is meant to be anti-fog - I have to say, it's not fogged up on me yet but it's only 6 months old :-?

Senna(Dan)
18-09-12, 10:43 AM
I have had my nolan for 3 years and it has only fogged up once, I had taken the pinlock to test the theory that it actually worked.
Excellent bits of kit.
Snowy I think you might be onto something with heated visor inserts though, Dragons den here you go!

A13X4ND7A
18-09-12, 10:55 AM
will this work for condensation too?

I had massive problems on my way to work this morning, it kept steaming up, then turned to condensation, I could hardly see naff all, was getting very stressed out, even lifting the visor normally clears it or riding faster than say 30-40mph neither of which worked today.

Rob says he has one of these things to try out, I'm just curious as to it if works on the condensation side of things too? (as you can tell im an uber noob when it comes to all this stuff and really dont know a lot :-[)

Mitch9128
18-09-12, 01:22 PM
Just get an Arai, draughty as fook, hardly ever need the insert in.

Swanny
18-09-12, 06:17 PM
will this work for condensation too?

Yea you won't get anything :)

Rabb
18-09-12, 07:42 PM
I have had my nolan for 3 years and it has only fogged up once, I had taken the pinlock to test the theory that it actually worked.
Excellent bits of kit.
Snowy I think you might be onto something with heated visor inserts though, Dragons den here you go!

I'm already working on one with button cells as the power supply.

vinny
21-09-12, 09:33 AM
pinlocks are great have a clear one in my full tint visor and a reactor on in my clear visor which does take of a fair bit of glare when the suns going down

Nikki
26-09-12, 01:54 PM

I'll tell you when its rained. :)

I got a bottle when I was at the old George Whites in Swindon yesterday, made by Wurth, it was in one of the cheapie bins £2. It smells alot like RainX which I used to use on my car ages ago and was brilliant.

Having had a couple of good soakings now I can highly recommend Wurth rain repellent -brilliant stuff :) With that and the Pinlock makes wet riding so much better and safer. ]

Here it is -

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/96319 (but £2 in the old George Whites in Swindon)

848dude
26-09-12, 10:23 PM
They are totally brilliant. Get one! 8-)

A13X4ND7A
27-09-12, 09:04 AM
well Im neh impressed with my pinlock, it fogged and then got condensation on it. Maybe it needs re-seating. It was only at the bottom but it irritates me because it makes things fuzzy.

I will deffo get some of that rain repellent stuff. I dont enjoy riding in the rain but that might make it easier, especially as its probably gonna rain when I end up booking my test so I best get used to it now! ;D

Nikki
27-09-12, 10:54 AM
well Im neh impressed with my pinlock, it fogged and then got condensation on it. Maybe it needs re-seating. It was only at the bottom but it irritates me because it makes things fuzzy.

I really cant get mine to mist up at all no matter how heavy I breath :)

I'd check its fitted nice and tight - sounds like its not seated quite right maybe?

Swanny
27-09-12, 11:06 AM
A13X4ND7A didn't you read the instructions??
You're not supposed to breath while it's closed ::)

A13X4ND7A
27-09-12, 12:38 PM
Ye Im well miffed. Rob said he's gonna look at it later. I don't know why, it looks like its right :(

A13X4ND7A didn't you read the instructions??
You're not supposed to breath while it's closed ::)
Dang it, thats where im going wrong. Ill try to refrain next time! ;D

cerruti
27-09-12, 12:52 PM
Are you sure you fitted it correctly? I couldn't get mine to fog up no matter how hard I try, I absolutely love it.

A13X4ND7A
27-09-12, 01:19 PM
I didnt fit it, Rob did... lol so Ill blame him. Ill pull it off later when I get home and try re-fitting it (prob not a good idea for me to fiddle with it in work coz ill probably break something!)

Snowy
27-09-12, 04:25 PM

I'd check its fitted nice and tight - sounds like its not seated quite right maybe?

You need to play with adjusting the pinlock pins - you turn them to make the fit looser or tighter depending on which way you need to go. They're convex in design.

Gooz
27-09-12, 07:38 PM
Never had any luck myself with the fairy liquid approach. When will we get heated visor inserts?
Heated elements are already here and have been for a while youneed to look in the right place, search for snowmobile helmets, mostly are road legal dot and ECE 22.05 tested and have 12v electrical heater elements fitted :D

im considering this sexy number http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/CTGY/cl16snowgraphics

Just make sure its european compliant for the road !

Snowy
27-09-12, 08:10 PM
Heated elements are already here and have been for a while youneed to look in the right place, search for snowmobile helmets, mostly are road legal dot and ECE 22.05 tested and have 12v electrical heater elements fitted :D

im considering this sexy number http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/CTGY/cl16snowgraphics

Just make sure its european compliant for the road !

Darn it....and I have the patent pending and the dragons salivating in their den ;D ;D

A13X4ND7A
28-09-12, 09:12 AM

You need to play with adjusting the pinlock pins - you turn them to make the fit looser or tighter depending on which way you need to go. They're convex in design.

Im glad you told me that, I didnt know!! so if I make them tighter then that should stop it, it did it again this morning.
Thank you :)

Snowy
28-09-12, 09:47 AM

Im glad you told me that, I didnt know!! so if I make them tighter then that should stop it, it did it again this morning.
Thank you :)

Not necessarily - too tight and it won't seal, plus you may crack the visor at the point the pins go in. Its a bit of trial and error but go looser not tighter. It also has to fit in the correct position on the visor vertically - it can be too low or to high which breaks the seal. When you put the insert on move it up and down until both the top and bottom edges seal against the visor.

A13X4ND7A
28-09-12, 10:33 AM
I cant see how I can turn these pins :S it appears to be right in the middle of the visor. Its only doing it in the bottom right hand side of the pinlock I noticed this morning.

This is a nightmare when you got no idea what your doing lol

EDIT* Ahhh Haaaaa I seeeee now. I think Ive done it :D We shall see, bring it on.

EDIT Part 2. I broke it. Whoops. I bent the plastic bit that sit on the lock pins so now it doesnt sit flush at all. What an idiot. >:(

Swanny
05-10-12, 12:06 PM
Good article here
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Products/productsresults/Helmets/2008/November/nov2608-top-solutions-to-stop-visor-misting/