PDA

View Full Version : Shark helmets

Swanny
05-10-12, 07:24 PM
Time for a new hat and I've found a Shark that doesn't hurt my head
It's a 4 star so scores well and I've read some great reviews about it.

Just wondered what they are like after a couple of years?
Does anyone here use one and have a view on them??

Thanks 8-)

Wes
05-10-12, 07:33 PM
Ive had shark helmets for the past couple of years, my latest the rsr2 is superb, a little on the expensive side, but its light, and they always fit me very well :)

Gooz
05-10-12, 07:39 PM
In an ideal world swanny with regular riding a skid lids on its way out (apparently) after 3 to 5 years anyhoo >:(

Swanny
05-10-12, 07:41 PM
Thanks Wes that's good to know.
I'm looking at the Shark Speed-R it's the only Shark I've found that fits nicely.
My worry was that the lining would lose it's padding after a while like my LS2 has

Swanny
05-10-12, 07:44 PM
In an ideal world swanny with regular riding a skid lids on its way out (apparently) after 3 to 5 years anyhoo >:(
Yea I agree
I think 3 years is plenty long enough. I was thinking of buying a cheap helmet with a good reputation and replacing it every year but think I'd prefer something with a bit of quality that will last a while.
I like my LS2 but it was ok for a year then started becoming too loose.

Swanny
05-10-12, 07:51 PM
I think it looks great too

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/images/InitialSet/Shark_Speed-R_Sauer_White_Blue_Red_detail_1_600.jpg

Gooz
05-10-12, 07:59 PM
its more to do with what the naked eye cannot see, prolonged exposure to uv is supposed to weaken the molecular structure of both fibreglass and polycarbons,
the linings falling out is obviously a good sign its past it as obviously for a helmet to offer the best available protection it needs to be a good snug fit.

Swanny
05-10-12, 08:05 PM
Yea and I've read that over time the polywotsit foam gets harder and less able to absorb the blow. Makes sense to me
My linings haven't fallen out but have lost their spring so the fit isn't as tight as it was. It's a shame as I really like my hat

Gooz
05-10-12, 08:07 PM
Wasnt trying to teach you to suck eggs fella but on an open forum you never know who reads and if you can save a life or offer good advice, then its priceless.

Swanny
05-10-12, 08:09 PM
No worries I didn't think you were.
Sharing info, that's what forums are for :)

Wes
05-10-12, 08:43 PM
Looks good mate, with mine you can remove the cheek pads and give em a wash, so it tends to be a constant better fit :)

voodoo
05-10-12, 08:57 PM
I've had a shark lid for 2 years and its been spot on for me. Reckon I'll be replacing next year and I'd happily buy another

Swanny
06-10-12, 12:53 AM
After reading just about every review on the net for the speed R the only bad thing I can find is it doesn't have a pinlock visor available :-/

Oh well maybe they will make one someday

***EDIT***

It seems you can get a diy kit to fit some models http://www.racevisors.co.uk/product/accessories-pinlock-universal-diy-shark
Think I'll have a go at fitting my LS2 pinlock to it

Wes
06-10-12, 07:19 AM
Seem like a good idea, didnt know those kits were out there 8-)

Swanny
06-10-12, 07:16 PM
I bought it :)

So much better than my old one, my ears are still ringing from this mornings ride out, I was wearing my old hat with ear plugs. The new one is 100 times quieter even without the plugs. Build quality is first class. The visor is really thick and feels solid as well as being very clear compared to my old one.

Only had a short ride but just from that I would highly recommend the Shark [smiley=thumbup.gif]
I bought it from the boys at Phoenix and they gave me a great price :)

Dan505
06-10-12, 11:23 PM
Glad you like it, mines the rsr2 same as Wes and is good fit, is rated to be dropped x 10 empty with no damage from a height of 4ft so is pretty strong, not that i recommend lobbing it about

Senna(Dan)
07-10-12, 04:46 AM
I have had two shark helmets and have only changed them due to age, brilliant helmets. Only replaced them with a HJC because it was a good deal at the bike show that year.

Wes
07-10-12, 08:39 AM
Result :)

Trev
07-10-12, 09:30 PM
Had a Shark hat for about 3 1/2 years (can't remember the model) and been well pleased with it.
When time came for a new one this summer I tried a few brands and models but settled for a Shark Vision R from my local bike gear reseller, got a great deal (£220) for the hi-viz yellow & black version, love the fit and the extra height of view means less neck pain when riding one my gixers. The extra peripheral view is also really useful and the built in sun visor is a must for me this time of year.
Can't recommend them highly enough although my mate always buys Shoei and swears by them, twice the price though

Jon_W
08-10-12, 07:38 AM
Personally Shark don't fit me which is a shame as I've heard nothing but good about there helmets.

wiltshire builders
08-10-12, 08:41 AM
Looks good. I love the silver model.

Goldie
08-10-12, 09:20 AM
Ive got a Shark Openline - it's comfy, never fogs and is flip front. It's fecking noisy though

Nelson
09-10-12, 11:44 AM
I've had a couple of S900 sharks with the sun visor which I like 8-)
Only neg I;ve heard about the R is the clips are bit fiddly.