PDA

View Full Version : In Case of Emergency

Snowy
03-10-12, 12:55 PM
I.C.E.

Came across this from another site....

http://www.vitalid.ca/shop/motorcycle-safety-id/

Seems a good idea to me and they take Paypal.

Senna(Dan)
03-10-12, 10:39 PM
Snowy it is a great idea but they don't work with NHS or police computers due to security restrictions.
I learnt this after having a presentation from paramedics and traffic officers who say when they were first released it was great but now due to people misplacing kit they are locked down to the hilt.

Wes
07-10-12, 06:23 PM
I got something similar from st johns ambulance (i think) basically its a free card that you fill out and place within the liner of your lid, there's a small adhesive green spot that you attach at a certain position on your lid, so they will know you have the card on you :)

Loops
07-10-12, 06:44 PM
Snowy it is a great idea but they don't work with NHS or police computers due to security restrictions.
I learnt this after having a presentation from paramedics and traffic officers who say when they were first released it was great but now due to people misplacing kit they are locked down to the hilt.

Unless it's linking to something different now, this doesn't seem to need a computer. It's more like what wes described, an ID card that is attched to your helmet.

Gooz
07-10-12, 07:26 PM
I.C.E cards or chips are usually a weather NOT waterproof usb stick, they contain 2 routes of info, unsecured rider details and vital information, and secured (encrypted) personal info more for your own use ie dl numbers etc, in an emergency the 3 services can and would find a way to read the info, they contain self installing software that allows it to be read by any usb port, whilst expensive they are in my opinion invaluable, any reference to I.C.E. is be it in your phone a crash card in your helmet, the green dot approach, anything that could alert anyone involved in the unfortunate event of requiring emergency services thats not obstructive gets my vote, I carry the dog tag and usb, and my bike is also stickered up to draw attention to this, as part of the triage process the medic would look for all information about the individual to find talismans (diabetes/allergies/medications) etc and would come across it. aiding their job, it lists these blood types and the like .

Swanny
07-10-12, 11:19 PM
I got something similar from st johns ambulance (i think) basically its a free card that you fill out and place within the liner of your lid, there's a small adhesive green spot that you attach at a certain position on your lid, so they will know you have the card on you :)
I need a new one for my new helmet
I reckon this is the best option as you can't forget it unless you forget your helmet :)

Senna(Dan)
08-10-12, 06:11 AM
Gooz as I said before mate the USB sticks don't work because it requires a program to be installed on the machine and the restrictions mean they can't access it.

Swanny I have got the same system as Wes, it is recognised by 90% of emergency services in the UK. it was also free as well!

Snowy
08-10-12, 10:15 AM
The one shown in the link isn't a USB stick - its a card which is located in a sleeve on the side of the helmet plus another for your wallet.

Ducatista
08-10-12, 11:32 AM
its a free card that you fill out and place within the liner of your lid

I have these on both my helmets, however the obvious difference is that to get to the card inside your helmet, someone has to take your helmet off first, but hey it's free, so it's better than nothing.

wheelers
09-10-12, 05:48 AM
what happened to the ICE listing on your mobile phone? that was the way of notifying people a couple of years ago, but disadvantage is that a lot of people lock their phones.

Swanny
09-10-12, 09:23 AM
Or don't carry one :)

Dan505
09-10-12, 10:06 AM
simple way is I.D discs, cheap to get made and always round your neck

Ducatista
09-10-12, 11:43 AM
what happened to the ICE listing on your mobile phone?

You can still do that, but it's difficult to list your medication, blood group etc.
It can be broken in an accident.
I also forget mine sometimes, if it's on your helmet then you're never going to forget it.

wheelers
09-10-12, 12:40 PM
I will give a good reason for any form of id. My eldest left for work, texed his GF at 8:01 saying he was leaving. she was at work in Chippenham by then, he was leaving Newport to go into Cardiff Riders, 8:30 his boss rang GF to ask if he was comming in today? . she said he left at 8. her boss is from South Wales, and offered to ring around. at 10.00 after 4 attempts at various hospitals, he was found in The Heath, Cardiff teaching hospital. then it was a further two phone calls to us and his brother before a frantic chase down the M4 to see him.
A word of warning, dont end up in Cardiff/Rookwood spinal hospital. they are Welsh we are English!! as his GP was in Calne they billed Wilts for his treatment, billed Wilts for St Johns to bring him back to Odstock and wouldnt let him have the wheel chair he had been using for 2 months as it was a Welsh one. so he had to stay in bed until Odstock could get him one to fit his 6'7" body size!!
prospects not too good as only just started electro therapy after 6 months , best results are around 8 weeks, Cardiff werent interested in trying so now probably too late. :'(