PDA

View Full Version : Motorcyclist First Aid Training

Gerry
28-09-12, 05:26 PM
I've never done any training in first aid and feel that I want to do some - just in case !

One of the guys that tuned my Supra is in hospital in quite a bad way after coming off his Hayabusa, and it got me thinking.

I can (and have a bit) Googled it, but I wanted to know if any of you have done any biker specific courses that you would recommend.

Also, are there others of you who may be interested in a basic "first on scene" course if I can find a sensible one for not to much money ?

Cheers
G

NiteW4tcher
28-09-12, 05:30 PM
i have done some basic training years ago id be up for a course bike specific training

Ducatista
28-09-12, 05:43 PM
Great idea Gerry.
I'd suggest you're looking at £70 unless you can find something that the Road Safety Partnerships are doing (I haven't).

Here's an example of one at that price and others I've seen in the past have been around that ballpark.
http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/world-of-bmw/rider-training/motorcycle-first-aid-course.html

Gooz
28-09-12, 05:59 PM
or you ask me guys its exactly what our company does for drivers and riders, pm me and I will happily discuss it with you ;D

Gerry
28-09-12, 06:10 PM
Don't be shy, others are interested ;)

Tell us what you (or your company) have done, what can you do for us, and for how much please [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Cheers
G

Gooz
28-09-12, 06:20 PM
were accredited trainers and driver suppliers for F1 Moto Gp and concerts, we are now based here in Trowbridge opposite the main post office, we are also accredited trainers for Jaupt/DSA training the Drivers cpc for truck and coach drivers, we dont really advertise at the moment due to the sensitive nature of some of our work, certified first aid is minimum of 5 hours training on up, an awareness is achievable in around 3.5 hours (DSA) cpcc standard. it certifies an awareness not a qualification, ideally no more than 10 per instructor, and in our classrooms in trowbridge.
I will ask the Instructors how much as a favour but they will look after you Just pm me, we have 5 first aid instructors let me quickly make a call and get a price

Gooz
28-09-12, 08:27 PM
Ok got your price, for a five hour QUALIFIED course emergency first aid roadside, £30 per person valid for 3 years guys I cannot do any better than that for you, only caveat is you need 10 guys/girls otherwise it buggers the price up, :D :D :D :D hope thats acceptable.

Last Train
28-09-12, 08:27 PM
I've been meaning to arrange something like this for a while.....ahem... :-[

So I'm interested.

:)

Jacde
28-09-12, 08:48 PM
I'm first aid trained, but would be interested in this especially if it relates to bikes and biking, i.e. hoe to safely remove helmet.

Gooz
28-09-12, 08:51 PM
well I reackon any saturday/sunday is best for you guys, plenty of bike parking opposite by the post office, also black swan biker pub 5 doors down :) oh and a tatooist if you get too bored pmsl

Beamer
28-09-12, 08:54 PM
Im in !! And I promise to behave :)

Saturdays are always good for me

cerruti
28-09-12, 11:32 PM
I'm already a qualified 1st aider, but I do recommend this to anyone who isn't - you just never know when it might be needed.

And at that price, it sounds like a bargain too!

Dennis_Sinanan
29-09-12, 12:28 AM
You can count me in, provided I am not booked on the date choosen.

Dennis

njl
29-09-12, 02:43 AM
yeah i'm up for this

Gerry
29-09-12, 08:50 AM
Thanks Ducatista & Gooz, I like the idea of a motorcycle specific course rather than a general first aid one although Goozes is the right price and nice and local.

I'll make a few more enquiries and report back.

Chers
Gerry

Bonnielass
29-09-12, 09:07 AM
I have done first aid courses in the past but would be interested in doing a biker related one! :)

speedy
29-09-12, 09:27 AM
i would like to be involved in this to great idea gerry.

NiteW4tcher
29-09-12, 09:33 AM
Ok got your price, for a five hour QUALIFIED course emergency first aid roadside, £30 per person valid for 3 years guys I cannot do any better than that for you, only caveat is you need 10 guys/girls otherwise it buggers the price up, :D :D :D :D hope thats acceptable.

sure we can find 10 very intrested

Ducatista
29-09-12, 09:43 AM
This is a fantastic price.
We are interested but depends on date.
I did one 3 years ago and did First Aid at work recently.
Mine is now out of date but I feel I ought to give someone else a chance.

BB
29-09-12, 02:39 PM
That is an excellent price [smiley=thumbsup.gif] My 1st aid at work is out of date now and bike specific would be good to know.

BB

Dabz
29-09-12, 02:48 PM
I'd be up for this

Gooz
29-09-12, 07:32 PM
guys 10 is the minimum,don't feel you have to limit at that, we have enough instructors so its not 'an issue beyond that, if you need reassurance as to where your money is going and to validity, this would be an accredited course with highfield education, our training school is accredited with highfield, RSP, DSA, JAUPT, to name a few, if the numbers are good and people are willing I would happily bring in wiltshire ambulance and police road safety unit to give a talk and advice too if you would like it.

Beamer
29-09-12, 08:19 PM
Is it certificated at the end ??

Just wondering Gooz......

p.s. Thanks for offering this :) :) :) :)

Gooz
30-09-12, 12:20 AM
yep..... Valid for 3 years......... Unless you want to do a 3 day course...........for instructors......ouch x

Jacde
30-09-12, 04:11 AM
Police and Ambulance talk is a good idea, gives us a chance to ask questions if those who have to attend incidents.

chasingpavements
30-09-12, 07:18 AM
Definitely interested, date dependent :)

Ducatista
30-09-12, 09:39 AM
Definitely both interested but need to know a date.
It would be weekends for us.

Beamer
30-09-12, 06:33 PM
Is there a list up yet ??
I havent added me if there is.
Would someone like to do the honours (I always mess it up and miss names off lol) ;D

Gooz
30-09-12, 07:27 PM
I was waiting for a call off Gerry, its his idea and a bloody good one too, Ive also extended the olive branch out informally to able training today at wicks burger van, but im sure you seasoned pro's wouldnt mind them coming along with some trainees for a bit of informal meet and greet and time with us all to get a feel so to speak, Mark if you read this I know we havent officially spoken yet but I will do soon :)

Let Gerry set the date and we can all go from there.

Gerry
30-09-12, 08:58 PM
Sorry, been away for the weekend.

Will give you a call in the morning Gooz [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Cheers
Gerry

Wes
30-09-12, 09:06 PM
I think its a good idea, we do the emergency course in work and i always ask bike specific questions during that. Also i always carry a first aid kit on the bike, thankfully ive only had to put it into practice once, and that was a two car RTA.

Ducatista
30-09-12, 10:03 PM
Ok, I'll be mum :) Apologies if I've left anyone off.

Gerry
Nitew4tcher
Last Train
Jacde
Beamer
Dennis
NickL
Bonnielass
speedy
Ducatista
Lurkalot
BB
Dabz
paula
Goldie

Gooz
30-09-12, 10:14 PM
Gerry our work number is 01225 430555, no issues with that being on the boards as you can find it on the net anyhow, if anyone wants to come down and see me/us again youd be more than welcome and the kettle and biscuits are always available. were directly opposite the main postoffice in Trowvegas, EAUKDS and Proactive Learning Centre.

Goldie
01-10-12, 07:29 AM
Dependant on dates, I'd be up for this too if it's not too late

Gerry
01-10-12, 11:23 AM
I'm going to pop in sometime this week to say hello to Gooz and have a look at what they do there.
Have had a brief natter on the phone and it all sounds exactly what we want, especially if we can get somebody with hands-on experience from Wilts Ambulance along.

This will be on a Saturday or Sunday.

Please keep adding to the list of interested names for now and i'll get back to you this week.

Cheers
G

Ducatista
01-10-12, 11:34 AM
Thanks Gerry for your efforts.

Gooz
01-10-12, 03:23 PM
Wiltshire police Bikesafe unit and Great Western ambulance Service have been officially invited along, You will also be pleased to know that your instructors on the day, 2 are bikers, and 1 is a retired paramedic, all with experience of motorcycle RTC's as there now called, waiting on replies form the respective authorities as to their best Saturday this October and the date will be posted, obviously the more of us that make it, then the better the day will be, this course is a great idea, hopefully we can add to just how informative it will be for you !

Dabz
01-10-12, 06:03 PM
sounds brilliant!

njl
02-10-12, 05:47 PM
Ok a Sat is the toughest day for me, so depending on times I may have to drop out.

:-[

Ducatista
07-10-12, 03:29 PM
Any update on a date yet?
I am booking things into my diary on a daily basis but would really like to do this.

Gerry
07-10-12, 09:31 PM
Hi,
Didn't manage to get across last week due to work. If Gooz is about tomorrow (Monday) I'll try very hard to go over and have a natter / get things rolling.

Cheers
G

Gooz
08-10-12, 08:30 AM
I'm in monday gerry

Gerry
09-10-12, 01:11 PM
I've had a meeting with Rob Gooze this morning and they are very keen to get this course up and running.

We have a date booked: SATURDAY OCTOBER 27TH AT 10.00AM.

I hope that all that have expressed an interest will sign up, you won't get a cheaper course I'm sure, and it will be run by bikers !

Please use the new thread as from now:

http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1349784397/0#0

Cheers
Gerry

Senna(Dan)
10-10-12, 10:40 AM
Gooz
Is there any chance of running another one of these next year as well. I am currently out of the country and am gutted that I am missing such a great oppourtunity.

Ducatista
10-10-12, 11:06 AM
Lurkalot can't make this date either, so there would be some demand I think.