PDA

View Full Version : Fair weather riders

Conehead
08-10-12, 02:37 PM
Went for a lovely ride today to Mudeford and roads were gorgeous but I did notice the lack of bikes on the roads. Think I saw 3 in the whole time I was out. Where is everyone, you can't all be working. :D :D :D :D

Mitch9128
08-10-12, 02:41 PM
Riding in the rain doesn't make a better rider, just a wet one.

Jon_W
08-10-12, 03:03 PM
Yep working!

Riding to work though. Only stop riding when it gets too slippery.

Dan505
08-10-12, 03:05 PM
yeah working! but then again conehead 4 riders is probably all of them out in the sticks

Col
08-10-12, 03:17 PM
If I can see ;D I actually enjoy riding in the rain if it's not to 'kin cold these days :)

Geordie Stu
08-10-12, 03:41 PM
If It rains when I'm out then so be it, but not going out on purpose. ::)

Conehead
08-10-12, 04:31 PM
Not that wet, luckily my kit has been quite good till now and the fairing seems to keep most of it away from me.

I dont mind riding in all types of weather just ride accordingly. Dont class myself as a great rider at the moment just more careful.

Nelly
08-10-12, 05:42 PM
I was at work. (i rode there though ;))

StreetHippo
08-10-12, 06:08 PM
Me too, thank God for Gore-Tex!! ;D

Stu

NoYou
08-10-12, 06:47 PM
I love riding in the rain, Got a full waterproof over suit, no worries! You get far fewer people out on the roads and provided you've not go stupidly sporty tyres on there are no problems with grip at all!

However... if its raining before i go out i just don't feel like it. :/ go figure!

Dabz
08-10-12, 06:58 PM
Done my time in the freezing cold or the wet - the bike is a hobby for me so there's no need for me to get wet. Happy to be labelled a fair weather rider but having ridden 2 WB weekend trips in met office severe weather warnings this year you'd be very wrong :)

Loops
08-10-12, 07:43 PM
I'm very happy to now be a fair weather rider ;D I remember riding out of Bath earlier this year with floods of water across the A4, rain pouring over me and clouds of steam everytime I stopped. It's nice to be able to look out now and think 'uhhhh...........no'

Toph
08-10-12, 07:54 PM
I ride to work every day.. rain or shine.. :)
It's either that or walk, :o as the wife has first dibs on the car.

But like Nelly, If it rains when I'm out, I don't mind.. but If it's raining and I have a choice of alternative transport.. the bike stays in the garage. :)

Nelly
08-10-12, 07:59 PM
I quite enjoy riding in the rain to be honest. It sharpens the senses :)

KP
08-10-12, 09:27 PM
dont think theres such a thing as a fair weather rider, i weigh up the options, if i dont need to ride i wont, been there seen that, all weathers iv`e been out in, but not anymore to old for getting wet & cold now :D :D :D :D

redken1
08-10-12, 09:36 PM
We haven’t had to endure the biking equivalent of the social ‘class war’ on here for quite a while, must be all of 3 months. I have been listening to the biking community (including the biking media) play this record throughout my 36 years on bikes and I suppose it will continue long after I’m gone. ::)

When some of the all-weather real bikers appear to look down at and attempt to belittle the not-so-real ‘fair weather’ bikers.

And the ‘fair weather’ bikers respond by going on the defensive, offering various reasons and excuses as to why they prefer to leave their beloved two wheeled machines in the garage on rainy days.

My comments are not aimed at anyone on here, more of a general point directed at the whole of the biking fraternity. I ride my bike when I want and “We are all in this together” (On sunny days, anyway) :P :) ;D

Beamer
08-10-12, 09:46 PM
We haven’t had to endure the biking equivalent of the social ‘class war’ on here for quite a while, must be all of 3 months. I have been listening to the biking community (including the biking media) play this record throughout my 36 years on bikes and I suppose it will continue long after I’m gone. ::)

When some of the all-weather real bikers appear to look down at and attempt to belittle the not-so-real ‘fair weather’ bikers.

And the ‘fair weather’ bikers respond by going on the defensive, offering various reasons and excuses as to why they prefer to leave their beloved two wheeled machines in the garage on rainy days.

My comments are not aimed at anyone on here, more of a general point directed at the whole of the biking fraternity. I ride my bike when I want and “We are all in this together” (On sunny days, anyway) :P :) ;D

Well said Ken......... ;D

Swanny
08-10-12, 10:03 PM
I enjoyed the ride to Wales we had in the torrential rain and gales :)

Jon_W
09-10-12, 08:03 AM
“We are all in this together” (On sunny days, anyway) :P :) ;D

Ah... you have borrowed George Osborne's speach writer!!!! ;D

But seriously. I ride as much as I can not because I enjoy getting too cold and wet but because I'm tight and work in Bath where the traffic is awful. May I agree with Ken that anyone who rides any bike (including scoots and L platers) is worthy of our full respect and should not be looked down apon.

Now get out there and RIDE!!!!!!

redken1
09-10-12, 06:51 PM
“We are all in this together” (On sunny days, anyway) :P :) ;D

Ah... you have borrowed George Osborne's speach writer!!!! ;D

But seriously. I ride as much as I can not because I enjoy getting too cold and wet but because I'm tight and work in Bath where the traffic is awful. May I agree with Ken that anyone who rides any bike (including scoots and L platers) is worthy of our full respect and should not be looked down apon.

Jon it was a quote from Cameron’s pre-election spiel – I borrowed it to inject a bit of satire into my post, but unlike our PM I meant it. ::) ;)

voodoo
09-10-12, 08:08 PM
don't we need fair weather days for the name to be true? never happening in this country :D

Loops
09-10-12, 08:23 PM

All right, all right, I will!

..........next time the sun is out :P

Rabb
09-10-12, 08:58 PM
I did my 76 mile commute Today in the
1. Dark
2. Wet

I got drenched on the way there (dried my kit at work)
I got drenched on the way back (kit now drying at home)

But........

I still loved it ;-))

voodoo
09-10-12, 09:24 PM
Good man, I'll still be going until it snows [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
10-10-12, 08:09 AM
Good man, I'll still be going until it snows [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Snow is good fun..... it's the ice I cant stand!!!

Jon_W
10-10-12, 08:11 AM

All right, all right, I will!

..........next time the sun is out :P
;D ;D ;D

I can't talk at the mo. Have been reduced to the car by an electrical failiure on the GS!!!

Dan505
10-10-12, 10:10 AM
hurry up and build the others then..... ;D

Kevinb
10-10-12, 01:29 PM
If I'm going somewhere I prefer to get there in the dry. Don't mind what it does on the way home.
Going down to Newquay for a week didn't have much choice. 170 miles of pure cold heavy rain. Lovely.

Jon_W
10-10-12, 02:09 PM
hurry up and build the others then..... ;D

Two are built and hiding in the dry garage!

The other is progressing....