PDA

View Full Version : Locked up rear wheel

JonGeorge
10-10-12, 03:42 PM
Ooops, I managed to lock the rear wheel up on the way home. Almost as frightening as when I hit gravel coming out of a bend... I don't think I'll be using my rear brake again ...any tips? I'm sure I wasnt pressing the too hard?

Jon_W
10-10-12, 03:49 PM
Brake before the bend using the front brake most. Accelerate through the bend and the bike will be more stable.

JonGeorge
10-10-12, 03:56 PM
Cheers, Think I've been using the rear too much!

Gooz
10-10-12, 04:02 PM
always be gentle using the rear, its best used upright and in straight lines , under harsh braking weight usually transfers forwards hence the lock up, other tip is don't panic if happens, the rear wheel is attached so will nearly always end up following the front eventually, just hang on for the ride till it gets there .......... Sideways can be fun but is normally pretty scary when it flips back into line :( :)

Swanny
10-10-12, 04:04 PM
I use my rear quite a lot especially when I have the gf on the back, makes for much smoother braking.
How are your tyres?? If they are very old they could have hardened off thus giving you less grip. How was the road, any wet leaves, diesel spills etc?

Nikki
10-10-12, 04:09 PM
Ooops, I managed to lock the rear wheel up on the way home. Almost as frightening as when I hit gravel coming out of a bend... I don't think I'll be using my rear brake again ...any tips? I'm sure I wasnt pressing the too hard?

I think it often stems from driving a car ie pressing down hard on the pedal without realising it to stop quickly.

I used to do it quite a lot, including locking my wheel up, but since doing my IAM training I've learnt to use the front brake much more and very little back brake.

It took me a while to get my head around that but I'd find some safe space off the road and have a go at just using your front brake so that you get a feel for it and see how hard you can brake with the front brake staying in control and stopping safely using that.

Trouble is its not something you can practice on the road but that's certainly what helped me.

JonGeorge
10-10-12, 04:10 PM
New Bridgestone batalax on front and rear, the road was wet. I probably use the rear far too much, they say 50/50 in wet conditions?

JonGeorge
10-10-12, 04:12 PM

I think it stems form driving a car ie pressing down hard on the pedal without realising it to stop quickly.

I used to do it quite a lot, including locking my wheel up, but since doing my IAM training I've learnt to use the front brake much more and very little back brake.

It took me a while to get my head around that but I'd find some safe space off the road and have a go at just using your front brake so that you get a feel for it and see how hard you brake with the front brake staying in control and stopping safely using that.

Trouble is its not something you can practice on the road but that's certainly what helped me.

I feel more confortable using the rear I have no idea why? Maybe it does stem from driving and its an automatic reaction? It's not the first time I locked the rear up, I find I do it in a panic aswell. Where as I should be heavy on the front!

NiteW4tcher
10-10-12, 04:13 PM
i hardly even use my back brake.........with a pillion it does make smoother braking

i use it when i really have to anchor up quick ;D

JonGeorge
10-10-12, 04:15 PM
Some riders never use it at all! Crazy lol

Nikki
10-10-12, 04:17 PM

I think it stems form driving a car ie pressing down hard on the pedal without realising it to stop quickly.

It took me a while to get my head around that but I'd find some safe space off the road and have a go at just using your front brake so that you get a feel for it and see how hard you brake with the front brake staying in control and stopping safely using that.

I feel more confortable using the rear I have no idea why? Maybe it does stem from driving and its an automatic reaction? It's not the first time I locked the rear up, I find I do it in a panic aswell. Where as I should be heavy on the front!

I was exactly the same before doing my IAM training - no idea where it stems from? Maybe it was instilled in me when I started riding a bike?

I had a couple of really nasty rear wheel skids due to heavy braking which was what prompted me to get it sorted.

JonGeorge
10-10-12, 04:20 PM

I was exactly the same before doing my IAM training - no idea where it stems from? Maybe it was instilled in me when I started riding a bike?

I had a couple of really nasty rear wheel skids due to heavy braking which was what prompted me to get it sorted.

I'm in the same boat, today was one of the worst experiences I've had, it was snaking towards a parked car! Time to discipline myself!

Nikki
10-10-12, 04:21 PM

I'm in the same boat, today was one of the worst experiences I've had, it was snaking towards a parked car! Time to discipline myself!

Ever thought about some advanced rider training? It has helped me a huge amount and I can honestly say I enjoy riding more as a result.

Gooz
10-10-12, 04:22 PM
Jon did you ever ride motorcross or green lane, when I first started road riding I was terrible for it, biggest fears were the front wheel locking and sliding, didn't care aboyt the rear so much and as was ended up like yourself in all sorts of bother locking rears for fun,
Your confidence in your front will grow an come in time, they really do plant themselves hard, (all about physics and rolling resistance versus gyroscopes) I'm sure by now you've seen stoppies and the like, if the traction wasn't there then they would be almost impossible to do,
Front brake then gentle on the rear once transfer has occured otherwise like me you will be on to hard and lock up as the front digs in,
As already said above also good throttle control will see you around more bends than the brakes, both together correctly= harmony........... And remember ...... You never run out of road........ Just ability, the roads been there years and will carry on forever :-/

Ducatista
10-10-12, 04:23 PM
I don't think I'll be using my rear brake again

No don't do that !!!
I locked up my rear wheel when someone pulled out on me and got into the habit of not using my rear brake.
In some situations it's not the safest thing to go for the front brake.

Get some training and sort it out before you get into bad habits.
You could try one of these days for only £99
http://www.motorcycledirect.co.uk/my-mcd/castle-combe.php

JonGeorge
10-10-12, 04:24 PM

Ever thought about some advanced rider training? It has helped me a huge amount and I can honestly say I enjoy riding more as a result.

I forgot to mention I've been riding a month, I think I can nip it in the bud (Hopefully) if not I'll take your advice and go back to school! Sad should of paid more attention! Tongue

JonGeorge
10-10-12, 04:26 PM
Jon did you ever ride motorcross or green lane, when I first started road riding I was terrible for it, biggest fears were the front wheel locking and sliding, didn't care aboyt the rear so much and as was ended up like yourself in all sorts of bother locking rears for fun,
Your confidence in your front will grow an come in time, they really do plant themselves hard, (all about physics and rolling resistance versus gyroscopes) I'm sure by now you've seen stoppies and the like, if the traction wasn't there then they would be almost impossible to do,
Front brake then gentle on the rear once transfer has occured otherwise like me you will be on to hard and lock up as the front digs in,
As already said above also good throttle control will see you around more bends than the brakes, both together correctly= harmony........... And remember ...... You never run out of road........ Just ability, the roads been there years and will carry on forever :-/

No I've never had a bike before the sv650, and thanks for the advice and tips :) much appreciated!!

Swanny
10-10-12, 05:17 PM
I'd much rather lock the rear than the front :)
If you've only been riding a month then you're still learning, don't be to heavy on yourself just get out there and practice, take things steady and you shouldn't need to brake hard.

Just remember to treat every car driver as a complete idiot that hasn't seen you, most of the time you'll be right ::)

JonGeorge
10-10-12, 06:50 PM
I'd much rather lock the rear than the front :)
If you've only been riding a month then you're still learning, don't be to heavy on yourself just get out there and practice, take things steady and you shouldn't need to brake hard.

Just remember to treat every car driver as a complete idiot that hasn't seen you, most of the time you'll be right ::)

Thanks mate, trying to get the miles on the bike still :) and yes a high percentage of drivers are unaware!

Conehead
10-10-12, 08:35 PM
I was taught that the front is to stop and the rear is to stabilize the bike. In the wet I would agree more to the 50/50. Confidence will come from experience. Hang on in there.

Moo
10-10-12, 08:50 PM
Even the bike manufacturers think you should use more front than back which is why most bikes have very substantial brakes at the front and a little tiddler at the back. It is also a lot easier to control the brake with your nice sensitive finger(s) than a boot encrusted foot ;)

Best not to brake too hard going round corners whichever one you use :-[

Rabb
10-10-12, 08:56 PM
I use my rear brake quite a lot for control at speed and also for low speed control in traffic (Dabbing technique).

60/40 front/rear split on dry roads; 50/50'ish when wet.
Progressive application on both, gradually increasing with time/distance to the required stopping point.

If you brake too hard & too fast you will lock the back up.
(I know because I've done it a couple of times in emergency situations).

Take it steady until you get more used to the braking weight shift as previously mentioned.
A few more miles will sort it - don't be hard on yourself.

Oh and don't brake in corners - if you do be very careful.
If you brake in corners you are not in the right gear or have not slowed down enough before the bend. Try to get everything sorted (gears & braking) before the bend so that you can concentrate on position in the bend and acceleration around and out of the bend.

Safe riding fella!
I learn something new every day - even at the tender age of 47!

Mark_Able
10-10-12, 10:01 PM
Sorry guys, but even though the DSA say 50/50 in the wet, they're wrong. It should still be majority front brake. If the weight is transferring onto the front tyre, it has to be the front brake that does most work. I use rear brake purely for slow speed control, and for helping to control speed on roundabouts and bends.

Mark_Able
10-10-12, 10:02 PM
Oh, and I stick with 99.9% front brake on dry roads... ;)

Ducatista
11-10-12, 09:47 AM
Oh, and I stick with 99.9% front brake on dry roads...

In corners, downhill, through mud, slow riding?

For me it depends.

I'd say get some training as well as practice.
Practice is great but only if you are practicing the right things.
There are plenty of value for money options around like road safety partnerships, bike safe, advanced voluntary groups as well as the commercial options.

Tobias5571
11-10-12, 09:54 PM
mate, your on a v twin.... you dont need to even have a back brake :) just use the gears, but dont drop more than one at a time or youl end up locking the back wheel up, you will be practicing swan lake ;)

redken1
11-10-12, 09:58 PM
Sorry guys, but even though the DSA say 50/50 in the wet, they're wrong. It should still be majority front brake. If the weight is transferring onto the front tyre, it has to be the front brake that does most work. I use rear brake purely for slow speed control, and for helping to control speed on roundabouts and bends.

+1 and find it handy for hill starts ;)

JonGeorge
11-10-12, 10:21 PM
mate, your on a v twin.... you dont need to even have a back brake :) just use the gears, but dont drop more than one at a time or youl end up locking the back wheel up, you will be practicing swan lake ;)

I've got an idea mate... rear brake delete? Lol....

Trev
11-10-12, 11:00 PM
It really does depend on experience, conditions, tyres and wot bike you're riding.
I tend to use the rear quite a bit at slow speeds when scrubbing off a few mph for example but less at higher speeds. For 'proper' braking nearly always front wet or dry with a tiny bit of rear if needed.
Does depend on which bike I'm on though, my Gixer 11 rear brake is so poor and tyre so grippy then a decent boot doesn't do that much and when your have to stomp then not much feel ;D
On the MT03 the rear is better but I do get the odd lock up from down changes anyway, particularly when 'making progress' on wet, slippery backroads.
I've got a few other bikes of various ages and various tyre/brake combinations and it always take a few miles to get the feel back for each.
As many others have said, get some training, find your preference then practice, practice, practice.
If you get a chance off road riding will really help. Hasn't got to be 'proper' green laning stuff, I learnt a lot as a kid on a ratty step thru in a large grassy field, come to think of it learnt quite a bit as a kid in grassy fields ;)

JonGeorge
12-10-12, 09:29 AM
It really does depend on experience, conditions, tyres and wot bike you're riding.
I tend to use the rear quite a bit at slow speeds when scrubbing off a few mph for example but less at higher speeds. For 'proper' braking nearly always front wet or dry with a tiny bit of rear if needed.
Does depend on which bike I'm on though, my Gixer 11 rear brake is so poor and tyre so grippy then a decent boot doesn't do that much and when your have to stomp then not much feel ;D
On the MT03 the rear is better but I do get the odd lock up from down changes anyway, particularly when 'making progress' on wet, slippery backroads.
I've got a few other bikes of various ages and various tyre/brake combinations and it always take a few miles to get the feel back for each.
As many others have said, get some training, find your preference then practice, practice, practice.
If you get a chance off road riding will really help. Hasn't got to be 'proper' green laning stuff, I learnt a lot as a kid on a ratty step thru in a large grassy field, come to think of it learnt quite a bit as a kid in grassy fields ;)

I want to do a bit of offroading, I can see how it would help :)

Swanny
12-10-12, 02:34 PM
I used to have an old Honda XL250S and had so much fun getting it covered in mud. Great way to learn how to control a bike and what it's possible to do on one.

This is mine but it was the same
I miss the old girl :)

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/attachments/xl/4051d1246914036-new-xl250s-owner-img_7451.jpg