PDA

View Full Version : Heated grips or heated gloves?

Lou
16-10-12, 05:25 PM
So which one is best as I think I need something. And how hard is it to fit either? Thank you for your help :)

Swanny
16-10-12, 05:29 PM
Grips are great but they only warm the insides of your hands
Gloves keep all of them warm

Wes
16-10-12, 05:44 PM
Grips are great but they only warm the insides of your hands
Gloves keep all of them warm
+1 grips are pretty easy to fit and they have kept my hands bearable last winter, the main wiring is still in place so all i have to do is plug them in and we are away again, also the grips tend to be a bit on the chunky side, gloves could be the better all round option :)

Snowy
16-10-12, 05:56 PM
As above, heated grips are great and very convenient. I still find on really cold days that the outside of my fingers remain cold so I bought heated gloves which connect up to my heated jacket liner. It takes an extra 30 seconds or so to plug them in but once done my fingers are nice and toasty. Alternatives are heated glove liners which fit inside normal gloves and these as well as gloves can have battery power (approx 3 hours charge) or powered direct to your battery.

If you get gloves or liners they need to be a snug fit for the best heat transfer.

Dabz
16-10-12, 05:56 PM
I used to have heated grips but haven't bothered on any of my other bikes - they didn't keep my fingertips from going numb :(

KP
16-10-12, 05:57 PM
I would suggest getting both lol [ch128515]........ I prefer a heated garage thru winter ;D

8_ball
16-10-12, 06:07 PM
cut your hands off....lol...its cheaper :-X

Nelly
16-10-12, 06:12 PM
cut your hands off....lol...its cheaper :-X

Surely that would reduce the clutch control somewhat? ;D

bubblylittleme
16-10-12, 06:17 PM
I have both but if I had to only have one I would go for the gloves. The grips are aright on their own in cool summer evenings but in winter the only part they warm up is the palm and when your changing gear or braking you open palm off the grip so gets instantly cold.
Gloves also seem to warm up my arms slightly so gloves first for me.

Paul_H
16-10-12, 08:38 PM
Heated grips, handlebar muffs and summer gloves

Toasty ;D

Mitch9128
16-10-12, 08:47 PM
Vest and grips, keep the core warm.

Senna(Dan)
16-10-12, 10:23 PM
Both if you can afford to it Lou..reminds me I need to invest in some new heated gloves at the bike show.

Lou
16-10-12, 10:39 PM
Thanks all, think I will go for the heated gloves as my fingers hurt in the cold, forgot about the bike show so I will have a look there :) :)

JohnS
17-10-12, 01:30 PM
As already discussed, heated grips are fine for palm but fingers still get frozen to the point of painful! Heated gloves now been delivered at home for trial next week! :-)

Dex
19-10-12, 03:15 PM
Neither is "best" they are just both different.

A decent set of heated gloves will keep your hands warmer than the best heated grips ever will. But only if you're wearing them

You can't forget your heated grips when you go out on the bike - especially on autumn evenings when you popped out in the afternoon, then ended up staying out until late and it's got chilly. Next thing you're riding home in summer gloves really feeling the cold. With heated grips there's always the option of warming your hands up.

So it's horses for courses really. If you ride a bike with decent storage, top box etc then you can always have your heated gloves with you just in case - that's the perfect solution. But if you're not likely to want to carry them around "just in case" all the time then they are only good on the days you have them, useless on your shelf at home.

Ideal scenario is both - that way you still get your choice of summer gloves (let's face it - the choice of stylish heated gloves is limited) and you'll always have the option to hit a button and warm your hands. Then when the weather gets really cold, or you know you're going on a long motorway ride etc you can put the heated gloves on.

If you go for heated grips I'd recommend the R&G ones (get them from Nooj) - my OH has them on one of her bikes, they were easy enough for me to fit and they get impressively hot. Great price too.

8_ball
19-10-12, 03:43 PM
Speed is the answer, ive found that the faster you travel the friction of air traveling over your body creates a sort of heat ??? Like a space ship through the atmosphere!!!Honest, just go faster.. Pants and a helmet that’s all I wear.. ::)

Well that’s what my brain says to my body, but really its numb with cold :o :o lol..
I just hug the bike really