PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust

Sam_King
08-10-12, 11:34 PM
hi i have a 99 hornet 600 and its got a scorpion exhaust and just wondered what would sound better, that or beowulf exhaust any help much wanted.

Mitch9128
09-10-12, 05:40 AM
Scorpion end of, Beowulf are cheap cans made by the northern children that are not sent down t'pit or up t'chimney.

wiltshire builders
09-10-12, 07:29 AM
All down to personal preference i'm afraid. As long as it makes loads of noise, does it really matter?

Nikki
09-10-12, 07:43 AM
hi i have a 99 hornet 600 and its got a scorpion exhaust and just wondered what would sound better, that or beowulf exhaust any help much wanted.

I agree with Wiltshire Builders it is very much personal preference.

Have a look on You Tube - do some searches there people always like to show off their bikes with a new exhaust.

Jon_W
09-10-12, 07:55 AM
Will probably be very similar. Go with the one you like the look of.

Goldie
09-10-12, 08:07 AM
Funny you should say that Sam. I have a 2002 600 hornet and was wondering that myself. :)

Geordie Stu
09-10-12, 08:24 AM
Scorpion end of, Beowulf are cheap cans made by the northern children that are not sent down t'pit or up t'chimney.

Hmmm Pits up North have been closed for years & very little chimney work around due to Natural gas.....!

However, back on topic It's personal choice & budget for which type of end can your after for me it's Mivv GP, but they are made by pasta eating, wine drinking, italians ::)

Kevinb
09-10-12, 08:46 AM
Go for an Akropovic with removable baffle 8-)

Geordie Stu
09-10-12, 09:08 AM
Oh yes baffle removed..... ::) :D

Gerry
09-10-12, 09:15 AM
I've had Fuel Exhausts on both my road bikes (SV650 & R6) and been really pleased with them.
They have a removable baffle, UK (Cumbria) made and the small company are really friendly.

I've had lots of compliments on the sound (unless people are just being nice cos they like the look of my Ar6e) ;)

http://www.fuelexhausts.com

I've got a new carbon Akrapovic can that I could fit, but the Fuel sounds deeper / nicer.

Oh.. and they are cheap too :)

Enjoy shopping !
G

Mitch9128
09-10-12, 09:24 AM

Hmmm Pits up North have been closed for years & very little chimney work around due to Natural gas.....!

However, back on topic It's personal choice & budget for which type of end can your after for me it's Mivv GP, but they are made by pasta eating, wine drinking, italians ::)

Hence why they're making cheapo cans or down here nicking our jobs.

Geordie Stu
09-10-12, 01:01 PM

Hence why they're making cheapo cans or down here nicking our jobs.

So I've taken a job from some poor southerners? Sounds like to me your full of that Natural Gas.... ::)

Mitch9128
09-10-12, 01:16 PM
I've actually been to Beowulf, oh and Orange cycles, seeing as i spent the first 25 years of my life within a mile of there :P Still reckon they and Fuel cans just look like a cheapo can.

Wes
09-10-12, 04:23 PM
Akrapovic for me, baffles removed :)

wiltshire builders
09-10-12, 04:30 PM
which would be worth more than the bike!

If it was me, i'd stick with what you've got. The money would be much better spent on making sure it's running properly.
Don't want to needlessly spend your money on a can only to not be able to pay for the next service or M.O.T

Geordie Stu
09-10-12, 04:51 PM
which would be worth more than the bike!

If it was me, i'd stick with what you've got. The money would be much better spent on making sure it's running properly.
Don't want to needlessly spend your money on a can only to not be able to pay for the next service or M.O.T

Good advise [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Wes
09-10-12, 06:07 PM
Got my can off the bay from a main dealer ex-demo for £100 so there are a few bargains to be had :)

Mark_Able
09-10-12, 08:22 PM

Totally agree. Race pipe, not loud pipe. Improve performance, not noise (that's just a by-product)... ;)

Swanny
09-10-12, 09:02 PM
I'm no expert but from what I've seen a Akropovic is worth a lot of money second hand, so it may cost a lot to start with but you'll get a lot of your money back when you've finished playing with it :)

redken1
09-10-12, 09:12 PM
As a matter of interest, is it legal to remove the baffle from the Akropovic when used on the road?

Just someone said to me that my Scorpion would sound sweeter with the baffle removed.

Rabb
09-10-12, 09:21 PM
As a matter of interest, is it legal to remove the baffle from the Akropovic when used on the road?

Just someone said to me that my Scorpion would sound sweeter with the baffle removed.

No - but lots of people do it anyway.
They re-install prior to MOT.
But, if you get pulled I believe you can be done for it - if they are bike savvy (and they happen to notice the lack of the baffle.

Swanny
09-10-12, 09:21 PM
My exhaust is road legal with the baffle in place

Gooz
09-10-12, 09:22 PM
nope a baffle directs the sound and gasses normally into the side of a can, into the sound deadening, it also doubles up as a flash plate stopping ignition of overun gasses which ignite readily in a hot exhaust, for this reason most baffles are conical in shape and usually found at the inlet end of an exhaust….…… some motorbike engines also respond much better with a mild back pressure in the exhaust allowing any lambda sensors to run the engine at the correct temp and mixture.

wiltshire builders
09-10-12, 09:23 PM

As long as it doesn't have "track use only" or "not for road use" it's ok

Snowy
09-10-12, 09:24 PM

Assuming its a road legal can then the only issue would be noise and unless you're unlucky to get stopped by someone with a noise meter thats unlikely to be a problem. I would suggest it goes back in for the MOT mind.

I have to have the baffle in on my Akropovic as my engine needs a little back pressure to run sweet. Sounds very fruity without it though ;D

Gooz
09-10-12, 09:27 PM
case in point .......... :-/.......... Not just a pretty face ya know

redken1
09-10-12, 09:48 PM
I was just wondering. I have no intention of removing mine anyway due to defective hearing.

Neighbours moan about the noise of my bike with the baffles in as it is.

Thanks all though

Gooz
09-10-12, 09:54 PM
If your neighbours have issues borrow mine for a couple of days, they will be soon begging you to get your old bike back............. Ask Raab his alarm loves me ;) ;D

Jon_W
10-10-12, 08:14 AM

Yes and no. If the bike is not excessively loud then yes. If it is then no.

I've bben booked for riding without the baffle in mine because the bike was too loud.

Kevinb
10-10-12, 08:45 AM

I've got my baffles removed, went through the MOT without them in
It's also a safety feature as people can hear you coming (from about two miles away on full chat) ::)

Gooz
10-10-12, 09:21 AM
Zorsts are all down to personal preference, I run leo vince's on my TL baffles in are still stupidly loud so get left alone, I had a carbon can co on my zx9 which really was a high rev squealer but not so loud on idle, ( a hit with the neighbours) but the best ive ever ran for build and ease was a venom stainless steel can, fantastic sounding with a sprung loaded link pipe and removable baffle, on overun a flame could leap out up to a foot long, on race fuel the bike a suzi 600 was a rocket baffles out, on road not so clever, ran better with them in, but for value for money and ease of adding or removing the venom was much better than any acrapovic.

Sam_King
12-10-12, 12:01 AM
okay thanks everyone, ill put up a vid if i can of it i can when ive made my choice :) :D

Senna(Dan)
20-10-12, 10:09 AM
The MV has removable baffles, but there is no chance they are coming out. They make alot of noise as it is, did 112dB at Castle Coombe, the race cans did 105dB but aren't road legal.

My neighbours love it when it gets fired up early doors for a Sunday morning ride out!