PDA

View Full Version : IAM - Opinion from people who haven't done it

Dabz
18-10-12, 04:44 PM
I met the Chairman of the IAM this morning and mentioned WB, and specifically how IAM and advanced training in general is becoming more popular with bikers.

He asked what reason do those of us who haven't done IAM give for having not done it - price, dislike of tests, availability of groups etc and I said I'd ask you lot :)

so...if you haven't done IAM, why not?

My personal reason to kick start things is that I don't like the idea of a 45 min test where I'm given the route beforehand..my memory of routes is crap so I'd be concentrating more on where I'm going than how I'm riding for that 45 mins

Splash
18-10-12, 04:49 PM
I haven't done IAM or looked into it further because I am under the impression that ROSPA is better as they test you continually (3 yearly re-tests) unlike IAM where it's just one test and you're done? I may be wrong.

Also I believe ROSPA is the equivalent of the Level 3 Police Riding test and derives from their handbook?

That just makes me, if I do it, want to head for ROSPA against IAM on those factors alone.

Swanny
18-10-12, 04:56 PM
I've always wanted to take my IAM test in a car but haven't gotten around to it yet. Only been planning it for 31 years :)

Like Splash says if I was going to do it on a bike I'd go for ROSPA

Snowy
18-10-12, 05:15 PM
I don't have any particular reason why I haven't done it apart from laziness. Since I have Scottish blood in me I am keen to make a financial saving where I can but the discount on insurance which for an old foggy such as myself is minimal anyway is not a motivational factor.

I also can't plan ahead more than 7 days at a time so the thought of actually having to do that with a third party for an observed ride fills me with dread.

I would summise though that as with many other things I should have done by my age, I simply have not got round to doing it. I mean, I have only had 33 years to try it so there's still time to sit on the fence a while longer yet ;)

Finally, I hate tests...with a vengance. If I can avoid doing one I will.

Wes
18-10-12, 05:17 PM
Time is the main factor, ive done a couple of bikesafe days and it definitely improved my riding technique. I would consider the IAM, but i always tend to think it would be a bit fierce.

Swanny
18-10-12, 05:28 PM
My main reason for doing it would be to ride the blood bikes and I think you need ROSPA for that.

Splash
18-10-12, 05:51 PM
My main reason for doing it would be to ride the blood bikes and I think you need ROSPA for that.

+1!

Jacde
18-10-12, 06:03 PM
I would like to do some form of advanced training, but I personally think my general lack of riding experience is putting me off going to either Bikesafe, IAM or ROSPA.
Daft I know as I'll most probably benefit hugely and have any bad habits that might be forming nipped in the bud!

Mitch9128
18-10-12, 06:10 PM
I can't be wearing hi-viz, but i do like having a holier than thou attitude.

;)

Dabz
18-10-12, 06:15 PM
Great feedback so far, thanks guys and gals. :)

Gooz
18-10-12, 06:51 PM
reason for not doing it yet, at 37 after years of driving and riding for more miles than most instructors can count let alone cover, I hate the thought of being told I am either not worthy or not good enough, I fear any kind of failure with a passion and therefore would never pay to put myself through so much hurt, I can think of many more ways to spend cash and find self fulfilment.

silly_simon
18-10-12, 06:55 PM
I haven't done anything other than Bikesafe :o To be honest
1) A bike to ride in the first place would help
2) I hate any form of driving tests, and having done 3 ( Car, Lorry and motorcycle ) I think I would consider myself a good driver who is well aware of the road etc
3) Cost is a major factor specially as I have a family,perhaps if I was single then it might have been an option

Dan505
18-10-12, 07:46 PM
Have done the bikesafe and found it a huge help but IAM puts me off with the cost and not keen on the style of test.

KP
18-10-12, 08:06 PM
i have done it, and really enjoyed it to fair.

1, you can ride blood bikes with it (99%) SURE
2, It doesn`t matter if you take a wrong turn, or get lost , just as you do it safely.
3, i have clocked a few mile up in my time to, your not going to be put down for your riding ability ( unless your really Poor).so dont worry about that.
4, and the test is easy, i was put at ease by the examiner first off, lasted about 45 mins, and if you have listened to your instructor you shouldn`t fail it.

redken1
18-10-12, 08:18 PM
As a matter of interest does anyone know what the failure rate is?

Ade
18-10-12, 08:20 PM
RoSPA or IAM for blood bikes. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ade
18-10-12, 08:29 PM
Time is the main factor, ive done a couple of bikesafe days and it definitely improved my riding technique. I would consider the IAM, but i always tend to think it would be a bit fierce.
You can take as long as you want to get the number of observed rides in that your IAM observer feels you need to get to above test standard. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ade
18-10-12, 08:36 PM
I would like to do some form of advanced training, but I personally think my general lack of riding experience is putting me off going to either Bikesafe, IAM or ROSPA.
Daft I know as I'll most probably benefit hugely and have any bad habits that might be forming nipped in the bud!

Absolutely right Jackie. Don't need years of experience to do IAM or RoSPA .... in fact, as you say, by doing it when relatively new to riding having passed the DSA Mod 2, you haven't had time to develop any "bad" habits (well, not too many anyway !!!!!! ;) ).

I'm sure that your confidence doing and enjoyment of motorcycle riding will be enhanced by doing IAM or RoSPA.

Certainly consider doing a Bikesafe day next year when they start up again .... the police riders you go out with for an observed ride on Bikesafe days are very good in terms of their feedback etc and will no doubt recommend doing an advanced riding course. :) :)

Ade
18-10-12, 08:46 PM
Quotes from IAM ... "To date, over 400,000 people have taken the Advanced Test, the pass rate is around 75%, and we currently have over 100,000 active IAM members".

BB
18-10-12, 08:59 PM
Lots of interesting comments on here - even from the people who have done it although I thought the thread was for people who haven't done it? :-? And before all you committed IAM/ROSPA people go off on one, please don't bother on my account ;D ;D

I recall starting my IAM in the car many years ago. (probably before many of you were born :o) I gave it up as I couldn't stand the holier than thou attitude of the observer I was allocated so didn't bother to progress it.

With regard to the bike IAM; some people I have met in the IAM or who are ex IAM tell me they go on rides and stick strictly to the speed limits until they hit the national speed limit and then it's all about making progress. An IAM guy I met recently said it had become frightening on rides and there had been instances where riders crashed through excessive speed and ended up in hospital!

Obviously I do not intend to tar all IAM/ROSPA riders with the same brush and incidences like this can happen with any group of riders. Indeed I recall someone falling off recently on a BCMCC run when he overcooked it into a corner and he isn't IAM or ROSPA.

I suspect my main reason for not doing it is the old excuse of lack of time/sheer idleness apart from the fact I really don't think my AJS could keep up. :D

BB

A13X4ND7A
19-10-12, 09:01 AM
If it benefits my insurance, when I pass my test, I will do it, else I wont really bother. Im dreading having to take my test and do routes let alone a 45 minute route from memory. I am rubbish at remembering routes if someone has told me where to go as it is.

Gerry
19-10-12, 09:33 AM
I don't have any particular reason why I haven't done it apart from laziness. Since I have Scottish blood in me I am keen to make a financial saving where I can but the discount on insurance which for an old foggy such as myself is minimal anyway is not a motivational factor.

I also can't plan ahead more than 7 days at a time so the thought of actually having to do that with a third party for an observed ride fills me with dread.

I would summise though that as with many other things I should have done by my age, I simply have not got round to doing it. I mean, I have only had 33 years to try it so there's still time to sit on the fence a while longer yet ;)

About sums it up for me, delete 33 years and insert 3, delete Scottish & insert Yorkshire (even tighter) ;)

Also, I'm not sure it actually makes you a better rider in all cases, IMO the couple of best / safest riders in WB arn't IAM / RoSPA trained.

G :)

Dan505
19-10-12, 10:07 AM
[quote author=BMWGraeme link=1350575085/3#3 date=1350576922]IMO the couple of best / safest riders in WB arn't IAM / RoSPA trained.

oooh whos that G? need to kow so we can all follow there line :P

Ducatista
19-10-12, 10:41 AM
I don't like the idea of a 45 min test where I'm given the route beforehand..my memory of routes is crap so I'd be concentrating more on where I'm going than how I'm riding for that 45 mins

You don’t have to remember the route. I went wrong on my re-test and it did not affect my grade. You also follow your examiners/observers indications. Obviously it you get that repeatedly wrong then they will question your rear observation, but that’s a case of looking and not remembering.

It's not obligatory to plan a long a way ahead. Some observers/tutors are happy to arrange things at short notice.

Wouldn't deam of trying to persuade you to do anything Snowy, but just to point out to everyone that you can take the training and not do the test. Financially Rospa lends itself better to this as with the IAM you pay for the test upfront whereas with Rospa you only pay for the test when you apply.

but i always tend to think it would be a bit fierce.

Not at all, generally it’s a case of discussing and giving pointers on how a particular position/speed could be even safer/even better.

I am pretty sure either is acceptable.

I hate the thought of being told I am either not worthy or not good enough

Generally it’s discussing/considering how it could be even better.

Cost is a major factor specially as I have a family

The local Rospa groups are £15-£25 to join.

I was WABAM secretary from 2009-2010 and failure rate was 15% at the local IAM group. Looks like 25% nationally but there is an excellent group locally.
Failure rate at ROSPA is extremely low. That’s because Rospa has 4 options – fail, bronze, silver and gold which means they can pass people at a lower grade, whereas IAM has only fail, pass. Both groups aim for people to be above test standard before putting people in for test, but obviously things go wrong sometimes.

I've done both and my personal preference is with Rospa because of the 3 yearly re-test which is at no additional cost and mandatory to retain membership, but the lcoal IAM group is an excellent group.

Gerry
19-10-12, 11:18 AM
[quote author=BMWGraeme link=1350575085/3#3 date=1350576922]IMO the couple of best / safest riders in WB arn't IAM / RoSPA trained.

oooh whos that G? need to kow so we can all follow there line :P

;D I'll let you work that out ;) I try to follow good riders lines but I don't seem to have the concentration as sooner or later I find myself on the wrong bit of the road for the bend :-/ I hardly ever throw myself onto the the other side of the road now (probably a goodish thing) so must be improving slowly :D

Geordie Stu
19-10-12, 11:33 AM
I did it a couple of years ago to get experience & learn to ride in wet conditions. So I did in the winter months in 2010. Found the whole experience worthwhile.

Still don't like riding the cold & wet though.... ::)

Last Train
19-10-12, 05:10 PM
Apathy rules

I do intend to take mine somewhen though.

:)

Dabz
19-10-12, 07:39 PM
Thanks guys, keep them coming. The IAM chairman did read this so far today and found it very helpful feedback

Senna(Dan)
20-10-12, 06:42 AM
Cost is the major hurdle. It is all well and good it dropping your insurance but it doesn't affect it enough to make it worthwhile, I asked out of curiosity on my renewal and it would have saved me 6 quid on a multi bike policy. Difficult to justify long term even as a younger rider.

I know it will benefit my riding, but with such a high cost there are cheaper ways of getting the pointers from qualified instructors. One of my mates is an ex police rider and he has taught a few bits, another is an ex ROSPA examiner and he is going to be 'assessing' my skills before I even consider going down that route.

Kopite
20-10-12, 06:46 PM
Simple answer is......Why should I ?
30 years of riding and I am still alive!..I must be doing something right.
Why should I or anyone else put themselves under extra pressure of an advanced course?
I've passed the legal requirement of a bike test and that should be the start of enjoying the bike, not then worrying about advanced driving!....Freedom of choice.
:) :)

Trev
20-10-12, 09:28 PM
Done mine, I know, I know thread asked for reasons why you hadn't but these were mine before I did......... took ages to get round to due to sheer apathy.
Cost is minimal, tenner to your observer for fuel on each ride and my missus bought me the test/membership package for Christmas, I think about 100 quid.
I really don't get the 'I've been riding for years, consider myself a good rider, don't see why I should' comments. I, like many others on this site, have 'been riding for years' but never done any training apart from the odd track school session. I wanted to broaden my experience, try a different style and meet different type of rider.
Found it very, very good, learnt plenty of new things, met some nice people and found some new routes.
The group riding thing not really my cup of tea but I tag along for a one every now and then as like the variety.
Can't recommend highly enough, even got a shiny green badge!

Ade
21-10-12, 12:47 AM
Simple answer is......Why should I ?
30 years of riding and I am still alive!..I must be doing something right.
Why should I or anyone else put themselves under extra pressure of an advanced course?
I've passed the legal requirement of a bike test and that should be the start of enjoying the bike, not then worrying about advanced driving!....Freedom of choice.
:) :)
Where do folks get the idea that doing the IAM or RoSPA advanced course is putting you under extra pressure.?
Like has been said by Ducatista .. no-one is forcing anybody to take the test once you've reached above test standard .... it's your choice ....you don't have to do the test, but that won't mean you haven't benefited from doing an advanced course.
Some comments make it sound like people feel they are expected to do an advanced course.... which couldn't be further from the truth.

All I can say is that after a 15 year gap and getting back on a bike in late 2009, doing a Bikesafe day and then IAM in 2010 was both fun and enhanced my enjoyment of riding a motorcycle. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ducatista
21-10-12, 10:25 AM
but with such a high cost there are cheaper ways of getting the pointers from qualified instructors

High cost? really?
Where does this idea come from?

Rospa (North Wilts) charge £25 to join, but you get the Roadcraft book included for that, so you're really paying about £10 for the book and about £15 for the annual admin costs of running of the club which is runing on a non-profit making shoestring.

The observers charge £10. So if you were out for 4 hours that's £2.50 per hour. Not sure which qualified instructors do it for less than that but unless they are personal friend then no-one can do it at that rate without making a loss. Not necessarily for petrol but if you add in wear & tear on tyres/chains etc. then most tutors are paying to offer the service (which they don't mind because they are keeping up their own skills up to date).

Furthermore if there is genuine financial hardship many of us would waive the £10.

The vast majority of people taxing/insuring/MOTing and fueling a bike can afford these figures.
For exceptional cases WABAM do offer sponsorship and a couple of WBs have done it that way.

I am really not sure how you could get coaching any cheaper unless you have mates who are doing it as a personal favour at their own cost/time.
If you do then great but motorcycle instrutors have to make a living so on the whole they aren't going to give it away to everyone, otherwise they would have no livelihood.

Mikeellis1709
21-10-12, 11:43 AM
I considered doing it a couple of years ago when I got my Buell, after a gap of 10 years from riding. I was going to join the Cheddar branch, where I was living at the time and got as far as contacting them for an application form but the cost was £140 to join plus the ride out costs, which I couldn't afford or justify at that time.

Since then I have ridden 25k miles on my bike, predominantly travelling to work, so when I ride for pleasure I want it to be just that, rather than having someone critique my riding, even though I would probably benefit from it.

I am also put off by having a test at the end of it and feel that, for something that has no statutory relevance, this is the wrong way to assess a rider's standard. Riding is a cumulative skill, so wouldn't a continuous assessment be more relevant? We all have off days, so assessing a rider over a number of observed rides would give a truer indication of their capability than a 45 minute test. On a ride out we ride for much longer periods than that, so how we ride after 2-3 hours in the saddle is more relevant than how we ride when still fresh!

Col
21-10-12, 01:40 PM
Until I actually looked ,since having internet, I always thought it was some anorak car club thing and that Rospa was somat to do with accident prevention as in 'get orf that ladder'

I do know what it is now but several reasons not to bother..
1/ cost for what purpose ?
2/ I don't want to be lectured by some 'know all' who probably doesn't ...nuff of them on these forums ::)...remember one 'I am' stopping a group to have a pee in hedge only where I knew accidents happen before a r/about so I went past and waited only for the knobend to actually come up to say what did I think I was doing as he was 'in charge'...****in office worker was very lucky not to be on his arse >:(
3/ I ain't got the time available for when they do meet to travel after work even if I wanted to.
4/ whoopee a test which means you'll be paying for ever more to renew your test :P

Anyway I'm sure they are all very nice people :)

redken1
21-10-12, 03:31 PM
I don’t wish to cause offence to the IAM volunteers who give up their valuable time, but I could not support an organisation which enjoys charitable status, yet appoints a multi-millionaire President who is a tax-exile. Just my personal view.

Besides, despite the fact that there is always room for improvement and I don’t claim to be the most competent motorcyclist on our roads, I don’t feel the need to take an advanced test. After 36 years of motorcycling, of which many were riding in all weathers (I was a ‘real biker’ once :P) I am quite happy. :)

Ade
21-10-12, 04:17 PM
I considered doing it a couple of years ago when I got my Buell, after a gap of 10 years from riding. I was going to join the Cheddar branch, where I was living at the time and got as far as contacting them for an application form but the cost was £140 to join plus the ride out costs, which I couldn't afford or justify at that time.

Since then I have ridden 25k miles on my bike, predominantly travelling to work, so when I ride for pleasure I want it to be just that, rather than having someone critique my riding, even though I would probably benefit from it.

I am also put off by having a test at the end of it and feel that, for something that has no statutory relevance, this is the wrong way to assess a rider's standard. Riding is a cumulative skill, so wouldn't a continuous assessment be more relevant? We all have off days, so assessing a rider over a number of observed rides would give a truer indication of their capability than a 45 minute test. On a ride out we ride for much longer periods than that, so how we ride after 2-3 hours in the saddle is more relevant than how we ride when still fresh!
With the greatest of respect .... don't you fully read previous posts ..... where has anyone said you have to take the test ?
So you did your DSA bike test and car test on a continuous assessment basis did you ???
The training gets you above test standard and so it becomes just a 45 minute bike ride.

Ade
21-10-12, 04:21 PM
Until I actually looked ,since having internet, I always thought it was some anorak car club thing and that Rospa was somat to do with accident prevention as in 'get orf that ladder'

I do know what it is now but several reasons not to bother..
1/ cost for what purpose ?
2/ I don't want to be lectured by some 'know all' who probably doesn't ...nuff of them on these forums ::)...remember one 'I am' stopping a group to have a pee in hedge only where I knew accidents happen before a r/about so I went past and waited only for the knobend to actually come up to say what did I think I was doing as he was 'in charge'...****in office worker was very lucky not to be on his arse >:(
3/ I ain't got the time available for when they do meet to travel after work even if I wanted to.
4/ whoopee a test which means you'll be paying for ever more to renew your test :P

Anyway I'm sure they are all very nice people :)
Oh dear. ::)
Won't bother commenting further on this thread :-? ;)

Marmalade
21-10-12, 05:01 PM
reason for not doing it yet, at 37 after years of driving and riding for more miles than most instructors can count let alone cover, I hate the thought of being told I am either not worthy or not good enough, I fear any kind of failure with a passion and therefore would never pay to put myself through so much hurt, I can think of many more ways to spend cash and find self fulfilment.

Plus me.

60,000 miles a year for most of the past 20 years in many countries and I don't hang about, my last off at over 2mph was in 1989. I've got to be doing something right.
It's rare for me to listen to radio or do other than concentrate solely on my riding when on the bike.

I would like to contribute some of my time to bloodbiking but the thought of being my positioning etc is all wrong puts me off lots.

KP
21-10-12, 05:18 PM
So after reading thru all these post, the general feeling I get is...... Most of you that haven't taken it and been riding for years know better,and 90% of you are afraid of failing!

I'm glad I did it, solely that I'm much more aware now of the dangers, the stuff you don't usually think of, and if it gets me out of trouble just the once it was worth it.

Snowy
21-10-12, 06:11 PM
Dabz asked for opinions from those that hadn't done it....that's exactly what's been posted... opinions. They are valid for those that have made them and for those that have an opinion on those opinions, well......that's not the purpose of the question. But everyone's entitled to their opinion. It's not a question about right or wrong.

redken1
21-10-12, 06:13 PM
What is the point in asking for honest opinions and then getting upset when those that are expressed are not exactly what you wish to hear?

Who stated that they "know better"?

Not everything is as simple as black or white.

Mikeellis1709
21-10-12, 06:27 PM

With the greatest of respect .... don't you fully read previous posts ..... where has anyone said you have to take the test ?
So you did your DSA bike test and car test on a continuous assessment basis did you ???
The training gets you above test standard and so it becomes just a 45 minute bike ride.
Yes I did read the previous posts - did you fully read mine? Taking a test is mentioned several times throughout the string and the group I was intending to join required new members to take it!

You also missed the point of my suggestion that the test be replaced by continuous assessment - there is no statutory requirement to complete IAM or RoSPA training as a requisite of having a licence issued, so why put people through the stress of sitting a test which has no relevance?

The title of the string is 'IAM -Opinion from people who haven't done it'. I offered my opinion - prefixing a tirade with 'With the greatest respect' does not make it any less offensive, Ade, so don't do it again, please. You actually showed absolutely no respect whatsoever!

Beamer
21-10-12, 07:02 PM
Anyway....

As a person that hasn't done it I have a couple of reasons for being apprehensive about doing it in the near future.

1, I am still a novice (passed my test May 2011) and am still building up my confidence levels (especially as I had a nasty habit of dropping my bike all the time......not for the last 4-5 months though)
2, I am worried that if I was to do it my confidence would be put back a notch or 2 because I think I might be told Im doing more things wrong than right.
3, I know of alot of riders that have alot more experience than me that have done it and I don't feel 'good enough' to try yet.
4, I am nervous anyway and being watched would make me more nervous than usual.
5, Since passing my test over a year ago I have only been out on rides 3-4 times a month which isn't much considering the amount of time I have had a full licence, so I want to get more miles under my belt before going for an advanced rider thing
6, The 'advanced rider' title means exactly that....and I dont feel Id warrant that title for a few years yet.

But I would like to do it eventually when I have more confidence and more experience. :)

Dabz
21-10-12, 07:08 PM
The feedback from the answers will be used by IAM to help them in their endeavours to attract more bikers to do the IAM course, so all are helpful in the end :)

Beamer
21-10-12, 07:51 PM
The feedback from the answers will be used by IAM to help them in their endeavours to attract more bikers to do the IAM course, so all are helpful in the end :)

Thats why I was being so honest..not criticising.... just saying it as I see it from my own point of view. :)

Ade
21-10-12, 08:00 PM
So after reading thru all these post, the general feeling I get is...... Most of you that haven't taken it and been riding for years know better,and 90% of you are afraid of failing!

I'm glad I did it, solely that I'm much more aware now of the dangers, the stuff you don't usually think of, and if it gets me out of trouble just the once it was worth it.
+1

redken1
21-10-12, 08:13 PM

+1

I repeat the question, who stated that they know better?

KP
21-10-12, 08:23 PM
Ken read some of the previous posts, I've had my say on it now, some good points made by folk, both positive & negative [ch128516]

redken1
21-10-12, 08:27 PM
Kev, I'm not trying to pick an argument here, merely pointing out that no one said they know better. I felt that should be challenged. I'll say no more on the matter, I'm 8-) and :)

Jon_W
22-10-12, 08:08 AM
Can't be bothered. Simple as.

House
22-10-12, 05:22 PM
What exactly do you get for it?

What do they teach you that they don't in your original test?

Where can i do it?

and

Can i use my own bike?

I haven't done it because this is the first time i've heard of it. I'm up for learning more stuff but i dont want to pay to hear all the same stuff i did 4 years ago when i did my test.

Ducatista
22-10-12, 08:05 PM
What exactly do you get for it?

You get one-2-one coaching to Advanced level which follows the police riders system. You make a small £7-£10 contribution to your observer/tutor to help cover their petrol but you could be out for anything between 2-8 hours.
You get a book (Roadcraft with Rospa, and the IAM book "How to be a better rider" with IAM).
You get a test. Usually the examiners are police class 1.
You get a certificate/qualification that you can use to ride the blood bike or potentially get a discount with your insurance company.
You could get some on-going training e.g. most groups do slow riding training.
Local groups also put on socials, talks, rideouts and sometimes foreign trips or visits. Rospa put on a tutorial session once a quarter and a talk every month (which may be car related as it's a joint group).
With Rospa you get a re-test (and coaching) every 3 years for no additional cost (there are annual subs with both groups).

What do they teach you that they don't in your original test?

It's a much higher standard.
Have a browse through the book.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Roadcraft-Police-Handbook-Motorcycling/dp/011341143X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350932683&sr=8-1
Using the whole of the road to position for safety, stabiity and view is a major topic. If you watch advanced riders they will be using the full width of the road and sometimes the other carriageway, but hopefully in a smooth manner.

Where can i do it?

You are lucky to have a choice of 2 good and active local groups in Wiltshire.
You can either do it with WABAM who are the local IAM group. They do their rides from the Little Chef, Chippenham and have their socials in Sutton Benger.
Or North Wilts Rospa who hold their talks in Liddingon nr Junction 15.
The actual rides start wherever you and your tutor agree which will be somewhere convenient between the two of you. I always start somewhere with facilities (like indoors) like a large Esso station. The start point may be different on each ride depending on what the lesson plan is.

Can i use my own bike?

Yep, you need to supply your bike.

but i dont want to pay to hear all the same stuff i did 4 years ago when i did my test.

At the Advanced level the priority is still on safety, but you are also expected to be able to progress where appropriate and position your bike advantageously in addition.

More info here:
http://www.wabam.org.uk/web.htm
http://northwiltsroadar.co.uk/

House
22-10-12, 09:18 PM
Thanks Ducatista, One more question and i dont mean this natsy i just want to know.

Who's getting rich off the £149?

Mark_Able
22-10-12, 09:58 PM
I have done IAM many years ago, but I nearly didn't. Originally looking at doing it when I worked in Poole, I was allocated an observer to come and assess my riding. That observer followed me for roughly 10 miles, then said she would take the lead to 'show me' how to ride. If you want to get someone's back up right from the start, that's how to do it. On a couple of the points that I quizzed her on, she couldn't come back with a satisfactory answer. On one point, I asked her why she did something a certain way, pointing out there were better ways to do it. Her answer was, 'I can do that because I'm an advanced rider'. Without going into too much detail, that was total ****e. She simply couldn't answer why she did it that way. It was quite apparent that she'd learnt advanced riding from a book.

It was only bumping into Harold Wix of the local group, that convinced me otherwise. I did my training and test with him, and stuck to my normal style of riding. He was more than happy, and so was the examiner.

From my experience, there are certain observers that think they are above everyone else, and act with a 'know-it-all' attitude. The standard of observer is not constant. You might get a good one, you might get a bad one. One thing's for sure, no one know's it all, and we all have something to learn.

Without wanting to sound belittling, I don't think you get a good standard unless you're dealing with a professional, who teaches for a living. Fully qualified motorcycle instructors are governed by the DSA, have to complete several difficult tests, are monitored by the DSA on a regular basis, and teach day in, day out. You may think my opinion is biased, and you're probably right. But I used to encourage my ex-pupils to take the IAM test, and when quizzed, they would say they learnt more from us than they did from going with the IAM. And in fact, one ex-pupil asked his observer about counter-steering, only to be told he'd never heard of it...

Ade
22-10-12, 10:01 PM
Thanks Ducatista, One more question and i dont mean this natsy i just want to know.

Hi.
Try looking at www.iam.org.UK website. Click on Motorcycles and then click on The Advanced Programme. There you will see what the £139 IAM Skills for Life cost gives you. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Gooz
22-10-12, 10:17 PM
I'm sorry but for me the best way to improve any kind of riding or driving is firstly tackling attitudes and secondly by educating, I have luckily nearly every driving licence you could shake a stick at and use all on a regular basis, I pray for the day that will never come when all drivers or riders have to travel for a day in all forms of transport on the road, what a revelation that would be,
Only when this happens will anyone be able to say they can fully understand what how and why things happen on the road,
Only when the people telling you they know and are better have also spent time in someone else shoes will I really value their experience, Ironically I would and will always value their opinion as that they are fully entitled too.
I'm with mark all the way DSA riding instruction with experienced riders would be more valuable to me, anything else is just learning someone else's bad habits.

Ducatista
23-10-12, 07:42 AM

It's £139 for as much training as you need plus test, plus book, plus annual fees for all the events I mentioned.

Most of that money goes to IAM nationally and not the local group. They have full time staff to pay who do policy & research, marketing, put adverts in MCN etc.
I don't believe anyone is getting rich from that as they are a charity, but if you have an issue with that then you could consider the Rospa alternative which costs £25 in North Wilts including the book (that does not include the test fee).

If you want to do commercial training then that's great, do that. I've would recommend Rapid Training who are mainly Police Class 1 (or retired).