PDA

View Full Version : Car Headlights

Rabb
17-10-12, 08:54 PM
I regulary commute from Trowbridge to Salisbury and I generally come home in the dark.
I was coming home on Monday night (and yes it's sad that I counted) but I did anyway, and below is what I saw.

1. 4 x only single headlight working.
2. 8 x poorly adjusted headlights.
3. 1 x one poor sod who wasnt using any lights at all.

I think it's time some of the above individuals need to do some checks and maintenance before they get out and about.

13 cars with crappy headlights on a thirty five mile journey???
I've never seen so many!

Splash
17-10-12, 09:02 PM
I regulary commute from Trowbridge to Salisbury and I generally come home in the dark.
I was coming home on Monday night (and yes it's sad that I counted) but I did anyway, and below is what I saw.

1. 4 x only single headlight working.
2. 8 x poorly adjusted headlights.
3. 1 x one poor sod who wasnt using any lights at all.

I think it's time some of the above individuals need to do some checks and maintenance before they get out and about.

13 cars with crappy headlights on a thirty five mile journey???
I've never seen so many!

So common nowadays unfortunately, even my short 10 mile zap up the dual carriageway to work I see similar descriptions.

Conehead
17-10-12, 09:25 PM
I agree, Its a pain when those headlights hit you straight in the eyes. >:( :o :o

Gooz
17-10-12, 09:30 PM
especially if your a hedgehog :o

Conehead
17-10-12, 09:32 PM
Hedgehogs aren't that tall it would be the wheels. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hazel-nut
17-10-12, 10:18 PM
Before anyone else points it out, I'm afraid I'm currently driving around with 1 headlight not working properly :/ the side light works and the main beam just not the bit in the middle! I will get it changed soon though I promise :P

Rabb
17-10-12, 10:57 PM
Hedgehogs aren't that tall it would be the wheels. ;D ;D ;D ;D

If I saw a hedgehog that tall - I'd run like hell !!!

Swanny
18-10-12, 12:02 AM
What's going on with headlights? I was talking to my mate the other day about this. I've just replaced the headlight bulb in my van and my GFs car, our other friend had both hers go and I've seen loads of other cars with headlights out.
This is not normal

Dan505
18-10-12, 08:01 AM
obvious bulb thieves Swanny...or aliens......or government conspiracy to bump up the sales for Halford?..... ;)

it gets me when you see a car pretending to be a bike by only having one light working, couple of quid and 5 mins work and the bulbs swapped out, job done, no drama just sort it 8-)

Crosbie
18-10-12, 08:35 AM
obvious bulb thieves Swanny...or aliens......or government conspiracy to bump up the sales for Halford?..... ;)

it gets me when you see a car pretending to be a bike by only having one light working, couple of quid and 5 mins work and the bulbs swapped out, job done, no drama just sort it 8-)

;D

why can it not be made law, like in France i believe, where you need have to carry spare bulbs for you vehicle. If you are pulled over due to a faulty lamp you can replace it there and then and if you dont have a bulb to do so you afe fined and given 3 points. Im sure it would stamp out the majority and wouldnt be much of an issue to responsible vehicle owners (maybe a little more difficult with bikes due to lack of places to store such items)

Gooz
18-10-12, 08:38 AM
I wonder about you sometimes swanny , you do worry me :-/ :-/ could it possibly be anything to do with the onset of darkness earlier so all those bulbs are now getting a hammering after the glorious summer and popping ???

A13X4ND7A
18-10-12, 09:10 AM
why can it not be made law, like in France i believe, where you need have to carry spare bulbs for you vehicle. If you are pulled over due to a faulty lamp you can replace it there and then and if you dont have a bulb to do so you afe fined and given 3 points. Im sure it would stamp out the majority and wouldnt be much of an issue to responsible vehicle owners (maybe a little more difficult with bikes due to lack of places to store such items)

I believe some cars need to actually remove the whole light to get the bulb in, I cant recall which ones but from memory of working in a garage there are a couple.
Its a great idea, and for the majority of people would be fine, however, what about the little old dears that can drive perfectly fine, but they cant even open jars.. I cant see them being able to change a bulb.. plus there are people that dont even know how to change a bulb.. the list could go on...
I think people need to pay more attention to their vehicles and if a bulb is out - get it sorted! Not that hard to check your headlights.
As for the people driving with no lights, well they are just plain dangerous :o

Swanny
18-10-12, 09:34 AM

Or it could something to do with the sun, we have just come out of a 11 year solar minimum period and into a very active one in which everyday it bombards with particles, todays bulbs are a lot more advanced than those of 11 years ago. Just a theory

We certainly don't need any more laws thanks :-?

Mitch9128
18-10-12, 09:49 AM

Or it could something to do with the sun, we have just come out of a 11 year solar minimum period and into a very active one in which everyday it bombards with particles, todays bulbs are a lot more advanced than those of 11 years ago. Just a theory

We certainly don't need any more laws thanks :-?

In the past 3 weeks, i have had 1 x dipped on my car, sidelight on the missus', 1 x rear light my car, 1 x dipped on the bike, all blow :( I got some of those Xenon ones for the bike, and replaced all 3 bulbs, and put cree led's in the sidelights, just for xmas.

Dan505
18-10-12, 10:11 AM
[quote author=porkies link=1350503645/8#8 date=1350543678]obvious bulb thieves Swanny...or aliens......or government conspiracy to bump up the sales for Halford?..... ;)

quote]

eh? :-? if bulbs more advanced why would they go?

extra sun beams? is that why i've been feeling stronger lately?, been wondering why my hairs starting to curl at the front..........

Crosbie
18-10-12, 10:22 AM
When you think about it, its obvious.... Its clearly the glow worms! They are going around sucking the light from the car bulbs so they can appear brighter as fluoresent paint just aint what it used to be particularly with all the extra particles bombarding the planet causing solar mayhem. We need glow worm proof bulbs. ;)

Snowy
18-10-12, 11:30 AM
If you have bulbs blow regularly there may be other factors involved other than just the bulb. Badly fitted bulbs, ones that have been held by the fingers (grease transfer), poor electrical connections, poor power supplies etc can all contribute.

And yes, my bulbs all seem to last fine - can't even remember if I have ever had one blow on the bikes but I do tend to buy branded bulbs i.e Philips Xtreme. Also have HID's fitted to one bike which have a 60,000 hour rating ;D I have had one headlight blow on the car but I forgave it as it was the OEM and 15 years old.

Always carry spares though - they don't take up much space under the seat somewhere. I would advise everyone to try and change their bulbs before they have a problem so they know how to do it. It can be really fiddly on some bikes and you can bet it will happen when its dark, raining and on an unlit road that it fails. Not the best time to realise you don't know how to do it.

Swanny
18-10-12, 11:34 AM
eh? :-? if bulbs more advanced why would they go?

extra sun beams? is that why i've been feeling stronger lately?, been wondering why my hairs starting to curl at the front..........
New technology not tested before in times of solar maximum???

I watch the 2min news everyday, there have been a lot of CME's heading our way over the past few months, just a theory of mine that they might be responsible for knocking out the bulbs. Probably not connected but who knows

Stay away from spinach Dan just incase ;)

2min news is a good daily weather watch channel. Looks like some bad weather is headed our way, hopefully it won't be here before sundays rideout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sLlh7pGGfE

Geordie Stu
18-10-12, 12:48 PM
I have found that those dam day light running lights. Sme drivers are becoming reliant on those. Not very practical in bad light or poor weather when vehicles are coming from behind..... ::) & other drivers have poor or no headlights

Dan505
18-10-12, 01:05 PM
i don't mean to sound rude Swanny......but.......is the 2 min weather for your planet or ours? :-? seriously sun rays are affecting headlights? whats next moon beams responsible for knife crime?

genuinely don't mean to sound flippant but i find the logical jump between the two subjects very hard to see, but thats just MHO and each to their own beliefs, thoughts, opinions etc...( before anyone else corrects me :-X )

Snowy
18-10-12, 01:09 PM
i don't mean to sound rude Swanny......but.......is the 2 min weather for your planet or ours? :-? seriously sun rays are affecting headlights? whats next moon beams responsible for knife crime?

genuinely don't mean to sound flippant but i find the logical jump between the two subjects very hard to see, but thats just MHO and each to their own beliefs, thoughts, opinions etc...( before anyone else corrects me :-X )

Its all a conspiracy between electron's and neutron's Dan dont'cha know ;D ;D ;D

Kevinb
18-10-12, 01:18 PM
I put new bulbs in a few months back, no brighter but I now have some lovely daffadils ;D

Swanny
18-10-12, 02:01 PM

No worries
When the sun has a CME it sends out radiation into space some of which sometimes hits our planet and is usually absorbed by our upper atmosphere, which is why we get the Northern lights etc, but it doesn't absorb everything. I'm just wondering if there is a connection between the increased activity on the sun and light bulbs here on Earth blowing. Like I said probably not but strange things do happen. The last time we were hit by a massive CME was in 1859, which was no big deal because we only had telegraph

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/4y/Solar-Superstorm-0112-mdn.jpg

All I'm saying is that maybe when they are making todays bulbs and trying to make them more and more powerful that in doing so it makes them weaker and if they are hit by a small dose of radiation from the sun it hurts them and they blow. Anyone else have any idea why it seems more bulbs are blowing than seems normal??

Maybe little green men are running around with tiny hammers and smashing them??? ;)

Mitch9128
18-10-12, 02:06 PM
Tried Osram Nightbreakers? Great bulbs, pity they don't last 2 mins.

Snowy
18-10-12, 02:07 PM
[quote author=porkies Anyone else have any idea why it seems more bulbs are blowing than seems normal??

Maybe little green men are running around with tiny hammers and smashing them??? ;)

As already said - built to a price, poor fitting, bad connections, poor electrics, poor quality control, cheap materials, vibration, pot holes......

Swanny
18-10-12, 02:16 PM
You're probably right but I also buy the top quality bulbs and never touch them by hand but still they go.
I always think the potholes in Trowbridge are actually Braille so that blind passengers know where they are 8-)

I actually don't give a monkeys why they blow, I just thought it was unusual seeing so many cars with only one headlight working.
:P

Hey Dan here's todays weather for this planet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O7uSI23tkw

Dan505
18-10-12, 03:08 PM

A13X4ND7A
18-10-12, 03:10 PM
Hey Dan here's todays weather for this planet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O7uSI23tkw

Actually burst out laughing seeing that in work! colleagues now think I'm some crazy in the corner. :D

Gooz
18-10-12, 03:11 PM
Ohh dear Swanny please avoid any men in white jackets, they are not asking you to take part in an advert for DAZ washing powder.

Plain and simple.......... shorter days= longer nights= bulbs used more after being lazy and hardley used at all over summer.= brittle filaments due to heat exposure coupled with vibration= blown bulbs all around the same period of the year......... funny that, and you know this is for those who beleive in radical thought.......... screenwash and anti freeze sales may increase too :o :o :o :o :o

Swanny
18-10-12, 03:39 PM
Please forgive me for thinking about stuff

I'll do myself a favour, buy a tv licence and go back to watching tele :)

Snowy
18-10-12, 04:13 PM
And you won't hear about so many bike accidents for a few months until the next sunny Sunday afternoon in April 2013. It won't be due to the moons gravitational field you can be assured...... ;D ;)

Swanny
18-10-12, 04:19 PM
Sticks and stones ::)

Dan505
18-10-12, 05:48 PM
I'm not knocking you Swanny for how you think or choose to live your life, i just find it hard to believe if cme causing issues like discussed about bulbs. Bet you find it odd that i pay £12 a month to watch my telly :P

Gooz
18-10-12, 06:58 PM
shhhh!. Swanny is very special ! :P :P :P :P :P :-? :-? :P ;D

silly_simon
18-10-12, 07:03 PM
My wifes Smart car blew a bulb just after its service and Wouldn't you know it I had to remove the complete front end of the car to do it :o :o

Gooz
18-10-12, 07:06 PM
I'd consider myself very lucky if my missus blew anything......till then...... Ho humm.......I know left wide open ;D

silly_simon
18-10-12, 07:11 PM
I'm ok on that front too OOOhhh Errr Missus :D :D

Snowy
18-10-12, 07:42 PM
My wifes Smart car blew a bulb just after its service and Wouldn't you know it I had to remove the complete front end of the car to do it :o :o

How much of a front end is there on a Smart car? :D ;)

Swanny
18-10-12, 07:54 PM
I'm not knocking you Swanny for how you think or choose to live your life, i just find it hard to believe if cme causing issues like discussed about bulbs. Bet you find it odd that i pay £12 a month to watch my telly :P

Not odd at all, I used to pay £40 a month for my tv/broadband package plus the tv licence on top of that but found myself watching more and more stuff on the net so decided it was a waste of money and cut it out. The only thing I did watch was the F1 but that partially went to sky, so now I watch the F1 at my mates house which is much more fun anyway.

I don't care if people agree with my point of view or not, I'm not trying to force it on anyone. My theory on the bulbs was just that, a fun little theory nothing else, a complete load of bollocks but it keeps my brain busy. I have no idea if it's actually possible (although I suspect it might be) and I don't really care anyway :)

The trouble with forums is most things said are taken completely the wrong way.

I don't ever insult people and tell them they are wrong even if I think they are, but there are arseholes out there that like to bully their way around forums. I'd rather share a pint or two at the local and talk it out [smiley=beer.gif]

Having said that anyone that wants to take offence at anything I say can go fcuk themselves ;D

Snowy
18-10-12, 08:50 PM
Jeez Swanny, I didn't for one moment think you were being serious about the suns activities affecting light bulbs. Sorry if you thought I was being dismissive and of course you are entitled to any opinion or theory you wish to have.

But, to be fair, you did mention little green men with hammers..... ;) :)

Swanny
18-10-12, 09:05 PM
No worries Snowy
The little green men with hammers was just in there for fun :)

redken1
18-10-12, 09:13 PM
No worries Snowy
The little green men with hammers was just in there for fun :)

The little blue men running around with axes are out there and it’s not much fun. ::) :D ;) ;D

NoYou
18-10-12, 11:19 PM
I think this is half the reason we see so many cars going round with one/no/badly adjusted headlights. car companies now make it so difficult to get to the innards of the car that you almost have to take a whole day to do it, and if you don't have a garage you're completely buggered if it happens to be raining!

Especially with times as they are, everyone is a bit low on cash and shelling out £60-100 to take the car into a garage for a headlight adjustment or bulb change is just unrealistic.

I'm not making excuses for these people i agree its bloody annoying and often dangerous but i can understand people who simply, either don't have the time to do it, don't have the manual competence to do the job themselves (in cases where its not a simple case of two screws, change the bulb, two screws) or just cannot afford to take it to a garage and have it done.

Swanny
18-10-12, 11:34 PM

I heard that you have to take the engine out to change one of the spark plugs on a smart car. Which means it doesn't get done very often if ever :-/
They say never to buy one with 50k + on the clock

silly_simon
19-10-12, 04:29 PM
Not quite an engine out job But you do have to remove the rear bodywork, and crash bar and it helps if the engine is lowered to gain access to the bottom 3 plugs ( 6 in total ) and thats on an engine that is smaller than most 4 cyl. bikes :) :)

As for not buying one that has over 50k ! Thats a difficult one, Yes I would agree if no service history etc But the wifes has 62500 miles and is relatively problem free, I say relatively as I do need to change the sump and an ABS ring on the O/S driveshaft but they are wear and tear items on these little cars :-? :-?

Swanny
19-10-12, 05:44 PM
An ex's of mines daughter had one and chipped it, apparently they go like little rockets :D

Hazel-nut
19-10-12, 05:45 PM
As someone who has a bulb who needs replacing (which I bought today) I have no idea how to change it so won't be doing it myself lol!

Swanny
19-10-12, 05:47 PM
You have a man, that's his job ;)

silly_simon
19-10-12, 06:23 PM
As someone who has a bulb who needs replacing (which I bought today) I have no idea how to change it so won't be doing it myself lol!

Hazel

Have a look at the links on this page
http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t218246.html

If you and dabz get stuck just give me a shout [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Hazel-nut
19-10-12, 06:44 PM

Hazel

Have a look at the links on this page
http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t218246.html

If you and dabz get stuck just give me a shout [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Apparently it's a really hard,big job! Even with instructions I doubt I could do it :-/

Swanny
19-10-12, 07:00 PM
I changed the bulb on Lizzys 06 polo, passenger side, it wasn't hard only took a couple of mins.
It's an H7 bulb. Actually I nearly did it twice as I have some H4 bulbs here but didn't realise it was an H7 until I took it out.

Beamer
19-10-12, 07:02 PM
Halfords will do it for you.....especially if you buy the bulb there.....and they do wiper blades too :)

Swanny
19-10-12, 07:06 PM
Yea they will but I think they charge £6 to do it :o

Dan505
19-10-12, 08:18 PM
Blimey, wiper blades should be the easiest thing after petrol an screen wash ;D

Swanny
19-10-12, 10:01 PM
My mistake

Headlamp bulbs fitted from only £6.99
:o

It costs £9.99 for the bulb

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_21 2022_langId_-1_categoryId_165538

Hazel-nut
21-10-12, 08:58 PM
I have now got my headlight sorted! Turns out it wasn't actually blown, just fallen out of place :-/ I had a new bulb fitted anyway as the old one was a bit grotty and likely to go soon!

I am no longer one of those driving around with 1 light out :)

Rabb
22-10-12, 08:29 PM
I have now got my headlight sorted! Turns out it wasn't actually blown, just fallen out of place :-/ I had a new bulb fitted anyway as the old one was a bit grotty and likely to go soon!

I am no longer one of those driving around with 1 light out :)

Thank you Hazelnut - I am happy that you've got it done (you'll be much safer now)

Continuing my audit on the road tonight

3 x only one light
4 x badly adjusted
1 x only one light (Full beam only!!!)
3 x " I will only go down dark A roads at night with full beam on (bugger the guy coming in the opposite direction"

I think I need to become a bike cop!

Jon_W
23-10-12, 04:03 PM
Em's Ka is a mare to change the bulbs on. You have to undo the wheel arch lining, lay on the flood and reach up through the lining and change the bulb by feel. Great design!

Mitch9128
23-10-12, 04:17 PM
Em's Ka is a mare to change the bulbs on. You have to undo the wheel arch lining, lay on the flood and reach up through the lining and change the bulb by feel. Great design!

Similar to Zafira, there's a little hatch in the lining, guaranteed to drop the bulb many times before fitting it.