PDA

View Full Version : EU Gender Directive

Snowy
23-10-12, 03:01 PM
I know this has been discussed before, but the implementation date is looming... see link:

http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/articles/why-is-eu-interfering-in-britain-uk-car-insurance-market?MediaCode=806&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign =Newsletter&utm_source=Newsletter22Oct&utm_content =October

The other thing that caught my attention was the date this comes into effect.... 21st December 2012. Wasn't this the date that the Mayan's predicted centuries ago would result in a worldwide cataclysmic event that would mean the end of the world? Maybe the two are linked ;D

Gerry
23-10-12, 03:19 PM
Call me cynical, but I'm sure the insurance companies will manage to make a bit more out of this change for them (as I would if I were them) ;)

What I can't understand (in addition to algebra & woman) is why, under the new prices mentioned, is a 17-25 year old man still paying 16% more than a woman ?

G

Swanny
23-10-12, 04:45 PM
In Papua New Guinea EU means arsehole ;D

Loops
23-10-12, 05:20 PM
Call me cynical, but I'm sure the insurance companies will manage to make a bit more out of this change for them (as I would if I were them) ;)

Of course. They'll just up the women's prices to match the mens! They'll never reduce them ::)

DC
23-10-12, 10:29 PM

What I can't understand (in addition to algebra & woman) is why, under the new prices mentioned, is a 17-25 year old man still paying 16% more than a woman ?

G

Not related to this topic I know but like the new pic Gerry !!! 8-)

Ducatista
24-10-12, 08:56 AM

It looks to me like they haven't done a "like for like" comparison but used averages.
The average man is not the same as the average woman in many respects e.g. car choice, claims history.

So just as a rather frivolous example, most men wont drive a pink Corsa.
So despite the fact that gender is not directly coming into the equation there are aspects of male/female behaviour that will cause higher premiums on average.
Two specific examples I can think of are car choice and claims history and in both cases men will be more expensive.

If they did a "like for like" comparison e.g. man with pink Corsa and woman with pink Corsa with everything else being equal then the premiums should be the same.

But men/women are not the same on average (which to me makes a mockery of the ruling).

Scotty
24-10-12, 09:17 AM
Ducatista, are you implying that both gay men and women (of either persuasion) should pay lower premiums? :-?

Gerry
24-10-12, 09:36 AM
Ahh... I didn't think that through did I Lisa ! anyway, what's wrong with my pink Corsa ;)
------------

Thanks Daddy Cool, can't wait for next season now [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Ducatista
24-10-12, 09:37 AM
:-X :-X :-X

Snowy
24-10-12, 09:56 AM
My Corsa is pink! Well, it was red but its so old (like me) and doesn't get looked after (like me) that its virtually pink. Darn thing just won't die so I can buy something better and masculine ;D ;D ;D

Col
25-10-12, 12:37 AM
24% more for the ladies ;D ;D ;D loving the equality :D

ummmm what if you happen to be a transexual in progress like between operations and maybe no boobies....are you affected :P :D

In the comments I think David may upset some with his -

'Woman have less accidents because other drivers know they are rubbish and stay out of there way.'

:-*