PDA

View Full Version : Poll - When is your bike going away for the winter

Splash
26-10-12, 12:33 PM
I saw this on MCN and wondered how many of you have already tucked that bike up or are prepping it for the winter commutes?

NoYou
26-10-12, 12:42 PM
I just carry on as normal...

Geordie Stu
26-10-12, 12:44 PM
I'm not a 365 / 6 on a leap year. However, if the weather isn't too bad I will still ride ::)

Gooz
26-10-12, 12:45 PM
november ,december isnt normally too bad its january ,february that are normally the worst months for biking, if its wet months that make you put your bike away the bloody things would never have come out this year at all. ;D............. oh im still waiting to get it out for summer never mind put it away for winter 8-)

Snowy
26-10-12, 12:51 PM
Just got to find a day to strip the bike down and coat it in ACF50. I can then ride whenever I want but I tend to avoid ice & snow.

Ducatista
26-10-12, 12:51 PM
I put 365, but that doesn't really describe it as I don't ride in ice or snow i.e. when it's not safe.

I have had my bike prepped by Nooj and that seems to do the trick.

Senna(Dan)
26-10-12, 12:54 PM
My bikes are tucked up at the moment due to me being abroad. The F4 will be staying there until March but the XJ6 will be back out when I get back to Blighty.

BB
26-10-12, 01:11 PM
Mine are T&T all year round and ready to roll any day of the year - unless I've broken one and it's awaiting fixing of course!

I don't ride everyday and evaluate the conditions on the days I want to ride. 8-)

BB

Splash
26-10-12, 01:11 PM
ICE & SNOW is a definite no - no, if you do ride snow and ice something must be seriously wrong with you ::), unless you get caught out of course. :-?

I rode 361 days last year, aiming 365 this year, looking forward to the cold mornings though, nothing like a clear dawn morning and a touch of frost on the ground! :D

As Gooz said, Nov & Dec are fine it's the early months to the year.

I don't ACF, I just hose the bike down, particularly after every wet ride where salt is present.

Snowy
26-10-12, 01:19 PM
ICE & SNOW is a definite no - no, if you do ride snow and ice something must be seriously wrong with you ::), unless you get caught out of course. :-?

I rode 361 days last year, aiming 365 this year, looking forward to the cold mornings though, nothing like a clear dawn morning and a touch of frost on the ground! :D

I don't ACF, I just hose the bike down, particularly after every wet ride where salt is present.

Once I have ACF50 applied I won't wash the bike at all until April next year :)

Yammy
26-10-12, 01:20 PM
If I can get away with 365 days I will.

But if the Ice hits I may well tuck it up in the garage with a blanket, hot water bottle and teddy bear. :)

Splash
26-10-12, 01:29 PM

Once I have ACF50 applied I won't wash the bike at all until April next year :)

I couldn't do that! :( I wash my bike twice a week, Wednesday & Sunday, normally without fail unless I'm in the office till late... like most weeks now.

- Though-rough clean, everything.
- Paraffin the Chain and Sprockets, normally yank the rear wheel out once a week to completely attack the rear sprocket, then the front sprocket...

If I didn't clean it... I'd go mad!! :D

p.s. I'm really fecking anal about a clean chain and sprocket, really, really, really, f's me off when they get even a light coat of dust on them!

Jon_W
26-10-12, 01:36 PM
All of the above.

Sv is away.
I'm resisting tucking the Triumph up.
Both will be tucked up when the salt hits.
GS will keep going.

Kevinb
26-10-12, 01:41 PM
Only stop using in the salt & thankyou for reminding me to get my warmer jacket and neck warmer out for a blast tomorrow

Splash
26-10-12, 01:47 PM
Only stop using in the salt & thankyou for reminding me to get my warmer jacket and neck warmer out for a blast tomorrow

If you can, get some extra piping for your central heating system and run a radiator under your jacket.. it's going to be Brrrrr Brrrrrr... ;D

Mitch9128
26-10-12, 02:03 PM
My mate James http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LSoZ7BPZvw&feature=relmfu

I don't put it away ever, but don't ride in snow/ice, and generally can't be bothered in cold/wet.

redken1
26-10-12, 04:26 PM
Oh! hear we go again - time for the fair-weather biking 'plebs' to get a kicking from the 'real bikers' :D ;) :P ;D

Splash
26-10-12, 04:42 PM
Oh! hear we go again - time for the fair-weather biking 'plebs' to get a kicking from the 'real bikers' :D ;) :P ;D

;D

Swanny
26-10-12, 05:01 PM
Where is the best place to get ACF50 and how much will I need for my bike???

Mitch9128
26-10-12, 05:18 PM
Where is the best place to get ACF50 and how much will I need for my bike???

Your Google fu will turn up the cheapest (basically it ain't cheap), warm the can in hot water before using, or it will dribble and spit out, instead of a lovely spray.

Gooz
26-10-12, 05:19 PM
£33 per litre i think from wiltshire microlights in westbury.
Is the nearest but surely Nooj would offer a deal for a job lot he stocks it too :)

Loops
26-10-12, 06:42 PM
For the first year mine answer is just a little longer. I'll keep the bike road-ready all winter but will probably stop riding as soon as there is even a chance of ice :)

I rode the CG in snow when I first started riding, it was actually the most capable vehicle in my garage for it!

Rabb
26-10-12, 07:16 PM
365 for me - If it snows I will probably book a day off.

Ice & Snow on a bike is not fun & can be very expensive!

Trev
26-10-12, 08:14 PM
Gixer11 away (winter spruce up on the cards)
Gixer7 still in use but needs rear tyre + C&S so not for much longer
MT03 & V50 all winter
X7 hardly used anyway but will get a run out or two
KDX in need of full rebuild - doh
gonna be an expensive winter :-?

Col
26-10-12, 08:47 PM
Gotta say last winter was not that bad with only a few real cold days but I suspect this one coming could severe :( but hope not :)

redken1
26-10-12, 08:58 PM
Gotta say last winter was not that bad with only a few real cold days but I suspect this one coming could severe :( but hope not :)

Col, the best pointer to determine the severity of a pending winter is to check out the energy supplier’s rises. You could be right-gonna be a badden.!!!!! ::) ::) ::)

Col, what was I saying; EDF Energy customers will see a 10.8% rise in gas and electricity prices from 7 December, the company has announced. I'm with them :'( :'( :'( Bike may be off the road for good at this rate. Given up going down the pub, given up the baccky, selling the house

bobf279
26-10-12, 09:04 PM
I normally ride all round except snow and icy conditions but I might tuck mine up this year, not enjoying riding so much since I had a slow speed off in August.

voodoo
26-10-12, 09:18 PM
There's a bit of time left in the old girl before the hibernation yet :)

Hazel-nut
27-10-12, 08:15 AM
I havnt riden since the Isle of Wight trip but that's because my bike isn't in my garage atm! Had to find a substitute garage while we moved house and havnt been able to pick it up yet due to there being no room in the new garage! Hopefully making room and picking it up tomorrow though :)

Lou
27-10-12, 08:42 AM
I tend to shake really bad when I am cold so probably not good for me to be riding in the extreme cold, but hope to get a few more rides in before the blizzards :) :)

Toph
27-10-12, 09:05 AM
All year round.. unless it snows.. then biking gets a little difficult!

Last Train
27-10-12, 09:18 AM
I don't do any heroic stuff these days, that's what the car's for.

There's plenty of good enough days through the dark months for me to get out and about.

Why would you want to not have the option of blowing the winter blues away ?

8-)

SupeRDel
27-10-12, 04:04 PM
My classic RD400 is on the road 365 days a year. I always find there is some nice dry sunny days over xmas for a chilly blast.

I use the snow chains when it snows........

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l109/superdel/snowchain.jpg

Beamer
27-10-12, 04:23 PM
It's there in case we have some good days during winter.....we went out Boxing Day the other year and did the Imber Run with Bath Classics too ;D

Dabz
27-10-12, 06:15 PM
I've ridden on Christmas Day before - was great! No traffic, blue skies and dry roads.

Mines tucked up on its carpet and plugged in to the mains but will still come out when there are dry days that aren't too cold.

R2D2
27-10-12, 06:22 PM
Bizarrely I'm doing it all backwards. I'm just getting mine out now - 2012 has been crap biking wise and it's spent most of the year with no tax, no MOT and a flat battery. I'm determined not to let 2013 be the same.

So it's had a wash and a new battery today, and I'm beating the queues at the garage and getting it MOT'd, taxed and serviced next weekend. Poor thing needs a fair bit though, including new exhaust headers and some brake work, just to get through the test :( At some point I need to talk to a sparky about getting some electricity in the garage so it can sit on a trickle charger, I'm sick of the alarm killing a battery or two every year.

Red Zed 1
27-10-12, 11:41 PM
my gpz500s is my daily ride,my other two bikes are not afraid to venture out either..it doesn't take long to wash off the bikes either with a pressure washer and G101..
the only time the bike stays put is lots of ice/snow..cus i got no stabilizers. :D :D

Red Zed 1
27-10-12, 11:44 PM
My classic RD400 is on the road 365 days a year. I always find there is some nice dry sunny days over xmas for a chilly blast.

never thought of snow chains on a bike!!!!

Ade
28-10-12, 12:30 AM
.. I must be missing the point lots of times lately on WB threads ... but what is the purpose of the "poll" vote element of this thread in terms of the use that is going to be made of it ?? :) :-?

Splash
28-10-12, 08:57 AM
.. I must be missing the point lots of times lately on WB threads ... but what is the purpose of the "poll" vote element of this thread in terms of the use that is going to be made of it ?? :) :-?

Ade, to get an idea who of braves the cold.

Being a rider who doesn't let the weather stop him ::) I wanted to know who else was the same as me, share some knowledge and tips for those hard winter months!

I saw it on MCN, that's where the idea and copy of theirs come from, as I don't know all of you, and only met a handful of the nice bunch in person, it's good to know who'll be up for a ride out too! 8-)

Swanny
28-10-12, 11:28 AM
They were spreading salt last night

Kevinb
28-10-12, 12:25 PM

If you can, get some extra piping for your central heating system and run a radiator under your jacket.. it's going to be Brrrrr Brrrrrr... ;D

Under seat pipes help and still haven't got the warmer jacket out yet. It was cold yesterday but I think the built in insulation/blubber does help ;D

Kevinb
28-10-12, 12:27 PM

never thought of snow chains on a bike!!!!

Get an MT-01 as I expect Yamaha probably do a snow plough attachment for it

Splash
28-10-12, 12:57 PM

Under seat pipes help and still haven't got the warmer jacket out yet. It was cold yesterday but I think the built in insulation/blubber does help ;D

;D ;D

Wes
28-10-12, 04:00 PM
Year round as much as possible, there can be some really good days to be had when the suns out, that said im going to re fit my heated grips later, a bit chilly yesterday :)

Dan505
28-10-12, 08:47 PM
Have rode daily since passing Aug 2011 only laid up for one week in winter when the battery died, its my only transport so no idea what i'll do if/when the ice & snow gets here