PDA

View Full Version : Advice on tyres + mechanic to fit

cmpadfield123
20-10-12, 12:19 AM
How do,
I need to replace my tyres and would like advice on which are the best tyres for me! Currently I ride on Pirelli Diablo Rosso (1st gen) which I got around 8k out of. I ride all year round (bar the snow as I discovered my zx6 didn't take kindly to it) im looking for good wet grip but also sticky for the rare warm day. Here are a couple of tyres I'm looking at:
Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2's
Michelin power pilot 2ct

Also I'm looking for a good mechanic to fit, I'm in the Trowbridge area but I'm willing to travel especially if its a nice route :)

Swanny
20-10-12, 12:40 AM
These are really good to buy tyres from and/or get them fitted
http://www.rideinrideout.co.uk/

Sorry but I have no idea which tyres are the best for your bike

Mitch9128
20-10-12, 08:15 AM
Pilot road 3's

fd2526
20-10-12, 09:40 AM
I use Phoenix on Bradley rd or protyre at westbury

wiltshire builders
20-10-12, 10:02 AM
I buy mine online then get either Bathwick or Chippenham motorcycles to fit them. Currently running Dunlop roadsmarts on a zx10r and cannot fault them.

Gooz
21-10-12, 12:38 AM
l run the michelins on my Tlr good enough grip when warm although a little prone to spin up when cold, wet riding there pretty good but ultimately not very hard wearing, bathwick I use to fit tyres for me but I'm recalling them unable to balance ..... Not sure if that's still the case,

NoYou
21-10-12, 07:04 PM
How do,
I need to replace my tyres and would like advice on which are the best tyres for me! Currently I ride on Pirelli Diablo Rosso (1st gen) which I got around 8k out of. I ride all year round (bar the snow as I discovered my zx6 didn't take kindly to it) im looking for good wet grip but also sticky for the rare warm day. Here are a couple of tyres I'm looking at:
Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2's
Michelin power pilot 2ct

Also I'm looking for a good mechanic to fit, I'm in the Trowbridge area but I'm willing to travel especially if its a nice route :)

I've currently got rosso2's on my cb and i highly recommend them. I've only had them lose traction once and that was when i caught a patch of mud with the rear wheel at considerable lean.
Not sure you will get the 8k you got out of the rossos though, not sure how many miles i've done on mine but i doubt they will last 8k

cmpadfield123
21-10-12, 08:49 PM
Thanks for all the advice I'm going to go with the 2ct's as there was not much in the way of a price difference! + want to try something different, hoping I don't regret biting the bullet time will tell!! Again thanks a lot

Rabb
24-10-12, 09:50 PM
I moved over from Michelin 2CT's to Bridgestone BT023's.
I will be moving back to the Michelins even though they wear quicker.
I'm running a Michelin 2Ct front (4 weeks old) with a BT 023 rear at the moment (4 months old)

Try Carson Tyres in Melksham.
They are great - I don't use anyone else.
Prices competitive, service and quality good too - and good tea from the machine in the waiting room - always a winner for me!

Ducatista
26-10-12, 12:53 PM

When I tried them they only had one person who fit bike tyres and the car mechanic couldn't/wouldn't or weren't allowed.

Anyone know if this has changed? or is there still only one person?

Geordie Stu
26-10-12, 01:39 PM
Dunlop Sport Max. I use Bike Aid in Trowbridge

Jon_W
26-10-12, 01:50 PM
Bridgestone 023's

I use Pheonix or Bike Aid. Both in Trowbridge.

wheelers
26-10-12, 04:22 PM
I use us!!! Carsons cant match our wholesalers prices.
Shaun at Melksham Tyres does a good job of fitting for us. being a bike rider he spends time, Ive seen what Bathwick can do and also heard a tale of a recently taken over business wrecking a tyre this week and having to buy a replacement.

Rabb
26-10-12, 07:32 PM

When I tried them they only had one person who fit bike tyres and the car mechanic couldn't/wouldn't or weren't allowed.

Anyone know if this has changed? or is there still only one person?

Still only one person - I think his name is Ade.
He's in most days I believe - very competent and knowledgeable.

Ducatista
26-10-12, 09:26 PM
He's in most days I believe - very competent and knowledgeable.

I'm sure he is very good but he was not available last time I wanted tyres.

It was very annoying on the phone to be told how it was pretty easy for me the customer to fit the tyres (I'm an office worker with no mechanical skills) but their own car mechanics couldn't/wouldn't do it.

Even if I could have done it I couldn't have taken both wheels off at the same time without the bike falling over, so it would have been a double trip. I usually cannot open a ketchup bottle or unscrew a car oil filler cap with my girlie hands and have to get help :-)

They wanted the business but it was annoying to be lectured about how easy it was for me to do it, but not for experienced/trained mechanics.

I'm sure he's very good as long as you can fit in with his holidays.

Col
28-10-12, 10:52 PM
;D ;D :D too much---punter has to take pot luck if the one and only bloke is at work to fit a tyre .... ;D ;D brilliant ::) :P