PDA

View Full Version : Switchback led indicators rear and front

Gooz
26-09-12, 11:14 AM
Looking for an electronics whizz to help wuith a new venture, its been done succesfully for cars but not bikes, I will bear out the expense but im trying to manufacture a new set of aftermarket indicators running lights, the idea being one to eliminate the need to stick aftermarket running lights all over your ride and destroying its lines,
Switchback leds are reasonably new to the market and switch from a constant white or red light to flash amber, the idea is great i think, the white light really is bright and ran behind a clear indicator lens will look impressive as for the red its not too bright but certainly effective again behind a clear indicator lens will make a nice and subtle but effective addition, the both the red and white lights go out when indicating with a 2 second delay so there is no confusion........ what do think ????? worth trying????

Dan505
26-09-12, 12:53 PM
are you talking about having red bulbs up front? isn't it illegal to display a red light at the front of a vehicle? as red normally denotes brakes

Jon_W
26-09-12, 01:21 PM
For tail lights this has been done for some time and you can buy kits. Have never seen it with headlights.

I suspect though that the MoT man may have a few things to say about the sidelights or headlights switching to indicate. I'd start by checking the rules.

camera.op76
26-09-12, 01:22 PM
illegal or unlawful? ;D

Snowy
26-09-12, 01:22 PM
Looking for an electronics whizz to help wuith a new venture, its been done succesfully for cars but not bikes, I will bear out the expense but im trying to manufacture a new set of aftermarket indicators running lights, the idea being one to eliminate the need to stick aftermarket running lights all over your ride and destroying its lines,
Switchback leds are reasonably new to the market and switch from a constant white or red light to flash amber, the idea is great i think, the white light really is bright and ran behind a clear indicator lens will look impressive as for the red its not too bright but certainly effective again behind a clear indicator lens will make a nice and subtle but effective addition, the both the red and white lights go out when indicating with a 2 second delay so there is no confusion........ what do think ????? worth trying????

Red only to the rear.......

I have a set of the rear type made by someone else ready to fit to my Beemer when I next get a chance. There are others already available for bikes - forget where I have seen them, on Youtube I think.

Jon_W
26-09-12, 01:23 PM
Makes no odds if you can't get a Mot......

Snowy
26-09-12, 01:33 PM
Makes no odds if you can't get a Mot......

Depends which ones you buy - some are legal, others aren't as far as vehicle regs are concerned but they don't test every part of the regs in the MOT. You can be illegal but still pass the MOT. The one's I have are E marked and therefore legal but they're combined indicator/brake LED's not running lights.

Swanny
26-09-12, 03:54 PM
worth trying????

Yea definitely
I'm well up for improving the visibility of my bike :)

Gooz
26-09-12, 05:51 PM
i think you mis understand, the white lights run at the front, its illegal to show white light at the rear for obvious reasons, the rears run constant red only with side dipped headlamps on, both the white and red switch off when required to indicate and then change. the laws quite clear and very easy to comply with its all about luminance etc when youve finished indicating then the light after a 2 second delay will show either the prospective red/rear and white/front............ see clear as mud.

Dan505
26-09-12, 06:25 PM
ah misunderstood cause you didn't explain red rear white front ::) have seen the rears before but the indicator bulb was tiny and easy to miss

wheelers
26-09-12, 06:26 PM
dont know if you mean, you dont have any lights displayed for 2 seconds is a good idea. bit like the firestorm and bandit lexus style clear lenses . bit like the American rear flashing brake light indicators, some testers dont like them

Snowy
26-09-12, 07:00 PM
I'm all for being visible on a bike especially from the rear. I do like the idea of running lights in general but would expect those to stay on when indicating and these need to be as visible or better than the original without the running lights. Reason for that is that you need to be able to rely on them as a replacement for the standard tail light should that fail.

Gooz
26-09-12, 10:02 PM
erm how complicated lol the normally fitted lights on your bike would have no change whatsoever, the indicators however when not indicating would become either white running lights front, or red tail lights rear when not indicating a flashing orange,

Gooz
26-09-12, 10:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DqkfofkQvA&NR=1&feature=endscreen

that link will display it for ease :) simples

rears are the same but constant red not white.

Snowy
26-09-12, 10:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DqkfofkQvA&NR=1&feature=endscreen

that link will display it for ease :) simples

rears are the same but constant red not white.

Yup... a picture is worth a thousand words ;D

How many versions are you thinking of .... to fit all the different sizes/shapes of indicators?

Gooz
27-09-12, 09:16 AM
Its governed by bulb size as theyre quite big, obviously as time goes by they do get smaller, right now im working on a set for factory suzuki, clear lenses can be bought retro so its almost a mod, I want to see wether or not its successful or not, but im guessing now youve seen them in action you approve, Just how cool and useful would they be in bike application ?????.............. feels a nobel award looming, im not greed though a mere knighthood would suffice !

Swanny
27-09-12, 09:29 AM
Arise sir Gooz :)
You're welcome to experiment on my CBF 8-)
The lenses are smoked

Gooz
06-11-12, 08:34 PM
:) :) :) :) THEYRE HERE !!! :) :) :) Bulbs and holders arrived, lenses arrived so the science lesson begins, I cant wait to fit these, looks like the kit ive made up will be pretty much plug and play for the suzuki with a seperate Live to the side lights to be fed in..................... wish me luck, Swanny do you want to come and be nosey (laugh when it goes bang)

DC
06-11-12, 08:50 PM
:) :) :) :) THEYRE HERE !!! :) :) :) Bulbs and holders arrived, lenses arrived so the science lesson begins, I cant wait to fit these, looks like the kit ive made up will be pretty much plug and play for the suzuki with a seperate Live to the side lights to be fed in..................... wish me luck, Swanny do you want to come and be nosey (laugh when it goes bang)

Would like to see when up and running, good idea would like to try it on mine.

Conehead
06-11-12, 11:09 PM
Just got some new indicators but would like to give this a go.

Swanny
07-11-12, 08:31 AM
Gooz are you going to the H&C tonight??

Gooz
07-11-12, 10:47 AM
Ive got rblr meeting in devizes for tonight mate so unfortunately not, ive not fitted them yet still waiting for the final bit of inspiration lol.

Nooj
08-11-12, 05:31 PM
I had a VFR1200 in to valet yesterday, I noticed they have running lights in with the indicators which go out when the indicators comes on.

If you can get it to work, it's a great idea. It's very difficult to gauge approach speed of just one light, which is why cars pull out on you at junctions in the dark.

A 'points of a triangle' pattern of lights on the front of your bike REALLY stands out at night and makes judging your approach speed much much easier for other road users, it's a big step up for safety.

R2D2
09-11-12, 07:21 PM
Worth having a poke around to see if your bike already has this.

I think mine (a US-sourced parallel import Yamaha Thundercat) has an extra connector on each indicator to enable the running lights. Caused my little brain no end of confusion the first time I had the fairing off!