PDA

View Full Version : Age old Question of Insurance

Crosbie
25-10-12, 08:28 AM
Morning, finally getting somewhere with the royal mail insurance now so looking to get a new XJ6 Diversion.

Using these 'compare everything' insurance sites I’m getting quotes back for £800 for fully comp and £400 TPFT. I’m 26, have 3 points from an sp30 3 years ago, the royal mail accident 2 months back not at fault and 1 yrs NCB (had my full licence for just over 1 year now) and the bike will be kept on private property.

Do these quotes sound competitive? Anyone got recommendations of which company works well for them in terms of Price and service?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ducatista
25-10-12, 09:09 AM
I am afraid you really do have to shop around.
Your postcode and details will be different to everyone else's and what's good for one person's set of details does not mean the company is competitive in another postcode or scenario.

The easiest way to get a ball park is using comparison sites, although don't forget that some companies (often with "direct" in the name) do not use comparison sites.

Personally I have found Carole Nash to be good for me and they also include European breakdown cover so you don't need to buy AA/RAC.
I also know they have a good reputation for service, so don't forget about that. Cheapest is not always best.

Also consider using a cashback site like quidco or topcashback, they take a while to pay out but if you're buying the insurance anyway then it's an extra bonus.

Mitch9128
25-10-12, 09:19 AM
My 'non-fault' accident doubles my insurance, go figure? Have a look at H&R insurance, they came up cheapest for me, they are based in Scotchland though, so a massive language barrier ;)

Ducatista
25-10-12, 09:39 AM
My 'non-fault' accident doubles my insurance, go figure

Shop around.
Not all insurers penalise you for non-fault claims.

When claiming make sure it is worth it in terms of increases in premiums for 3-5 years on ALL your motoring policies (a lot of us have cars/vans as well).

Splash
25-10-12, 10:08 AM
My 'non-fault' accident doubles my insurance, go figure? Have a look at H&R insurance, they came up cheapest for me, they are based in Scotchland though, so a massive language barrier ;)

H&R are awesome! !

Crosbie
25-10-12, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Will have a look at H&R!

They came back with £700 TPFT and £1500 FC.... :-/

One thing i have noticed - it makes no difference if i say i am IAM/ROSPA trained or have a bike safe cert....? :-? How does that work? (im not by the way but would like to do one of them early next year).

Dan505
25-10-12, 11:16 AM
Bennetts was cheapest for me and bike safe got me a tiny reduction of £12 :-/ still £12 tho i suppose

Ducatista
25-10-12, 11:24 AM
it makes no difference if i say i am IAM/ROSPA trained or have a bike safe cert....?

It certainly should on a lot of insurers.
If you are seeing it making no difference to ALL insurers on a comparison site then that would suggest to me that the comparison site is not passing on the information (the software is not perfect).

On that subject make sure you check and double check all details to make sure they are correct.
If you are going DIY and not taking advice from a broker then it's your responsibility to check.
Even if the comparison site passes on incorrect information to the insurer it's still your responsibility to check it before you accept.
It's better to spend 15 minutes now checking rather than finding a claim turned down or something bad later on.

StreetHippo
25-10-12, 11:25 AM
I use eBike, I think they have a no claims accelerator too. Worth a look. They also discount for riding quals inc bike safe etc.

Stu

Crosbie
25-10-12, 11:42 AM
it makes no difference if i say i am IAM/ROSPA trained or have a bike safe cert....?

On that subject make sure you check and double check all details to make sure they are correct.
If you are going DIY and not taking advice from a broker then it's your responsibility to check.
Even if the comparison site passes on incorrect information to the insurer it's still your responsibility to check it before you accept.
It's better to spend 15 minutes now checking rather than finding a claim turned down or something bad later on.
Indeed - Even when speaking to people they never take the information down correctly so i always check when the paper work comes through. Iv had to send three different policys back to be amended because of this.

Will try ebike later then!

A13X4ND7A
25-10-12, 11:56 AM
Im only a learner but eBike was the cheapest for me.

Senna(Dan)
25-10-12, 12:25 PM
Me and Caz are both with MCE. Did us one hell of a deal on 3 bikes and they are worthing taking a look at.

Your quote of £800 sounds reasonable, when I switched from my GS500 to the XJ6 I was paying £550 with 3 years no claims. Might sound silly but have you got any extra security devices on the bike that might bring it down further?
When I had smartwater on the bike it took the premium down £60 and it only cost me £25 a year, so that might help.

Ducatista
25-10-12, 12:32 PM
That's just reminded me.
Carole Nash are doing free DNA+ worth £30.
I watched the video and it looks like some sort of smart water system which you put all over your bike and then put visible stickers on.

Senna(Dan)
25-10-12, 12:41 PM
Duc,
Alot of companies are now providing it when you take out a policy as they realise how good it is at reducing the amount of bike thefts. Every panel is marked so it is more difficult to flog either the parts or the bike on if buyers get wary and take a UV light to every sale with them.

Smartwater, Datatag and DNA+ are the more commonly recognised ones.

Jon_W
25-10-12, 12:56 PM
I'm with Carole Nash because I've found them the best to deal with. They're not the cheapest for my bikes, but not far off and customer servine is good.

Ade
25-10-12, 05:39 PM
I changed to MCE this summer as the renewal quote from Adelaide (Surety ins through IAM) was uncompetitive for a 2nd year with them.

voodoo
25-10-12, 08:07 PM

H&R are awesome! !
H&R for me too. Much cheaper than anyone else with mine

Mitch9128
25-10-12, 08:40 PM
I changed to MCE this summer as the renewal quote from Adelaide (Surety ins through IAM) was uncompetitive for a 2nd year with them.

Hope you never have to claim, google your underwriters, KGM i believe?

fd2526
15-11-12, 04:06 PM
Mines due soon am currently with mce but premium has gone up a bit even with 7 years ncb 8 years licence etc, will check out all companies mentioned here :)

Crosbie
15-11-12, 04:16 PM
Make sure if you do it online you then phone them after as they come up with all sorts of BS excuses as to why its wrong and you premium is now double!!!! When i did this all the security infor for the bike was wrong (not because i put it in wrong but because their system was wrong) the same with your marital status and some other crap too. Put my fully comp quote up to £1300 so had no option but to go with TPFT again... :-/ (at a cost of over £500).

fd2526
15-11-12, 04:47 PM
will do!

fd2526
15-11-12, 07:05 PM
H&R are awesome! !

Gave me the best quote by miles (have had to buy breakdown cover separately but went with SOS motorcycle recovery who I know from experience are very good ;D )

newnut
27-11-12, 11:17 PM
shop around on line, take note of the ref numbers of the cheapest policy, try the same search again the next day and so on for a few days, they vary day to day i've found. You wont loose the cheapest one as you have the ref number!! Works, Try it!

wheelers
28-11-12, 12:39 PM
Carole Nash , good deals especially with multi bike policies. when I come to renew I allways go online and get a quote, call them up and get the same or better price. but as someone else said, horses for courses you do have to shop around. DONT go with one company that is online only, my eldest did with a van and each time he tried to contact them or change his policy it cost over £24 in phone calls. Carole Nash are free phone

Scotty
28-11-12, 07:01 PM
Carole Nash may offer free calls but they're as much a bunch of thieving bastards as the Insurance Companies whose products they pimp out.

I insured my road and off-road bikes this evening and before doing so, rang around a bit. CN offered the same policy for my road bike as my current insurers did. CN wanted £350 for it, my current insurers offered it to me for £210.
'Nuff said. 8-)

Rabb
28-11-12, 08:24 PM
Oh boy - I had to do this yesterday.
In the end I went with MCE (fully comp) for the following reasons
1. 15 months for the price of 12 months
2. Free RAC roadside cover
3. Legal £100k of cover
4. Personal Accident (Loss of limb e.t.c.)
5. Hire bike / car
6. Helmet & Leathers cover

All of the above for £217.01

If youre shopping around you will find Hastings & Swintons very competitive.
Believe me I know (60 'ish) quotes later......

shammy666
29-11-12, 09:50 PM
Just today I've renewed mine via Carole Nash, they seem far better to talk to and know what they are on about rather than 'computer says no' types.

Generally I'm happy to pay bit more for better customer service, been with them for 4 years now. No probs so far :)

Ducatista
30-11-12, 09:25 AM
Carole Nash may offer free calls but they're as much a bunch of thieving bastards as the Insurance Companies whose products they pimp out.

I insured my road and off-road bikes this evening and before doing so, rang around a bit. CN offered the same policy for my road bike as my current insurers did. CN wanted £350 for it, my current insurers offered it to me for £210.

Are you absolutely certain you are comparing like for like. CN offer a package which includes European breakdown cover, legal cover and other extras.

shop around on line, take note of the ref numbers of the cheapest policy, try the same search again the next day and so on for a few days, they vary day to day i've found. You wont loose the cheapest one as you have the ref number!! Works, Try it!

It is important (but not easy) to check out level of cover and service and not just buy the cheapest as there are some companies that provide less cover and poor service.

RedSoul
01-12-12, 09:10 AM
MCE all the way.....met the guys at the NEC last week and got 15 months for the price of 12.
Have been with a quote for 8 years but when they tried doubling my multi bike policy to £550 I told them to do one lol.
Am now paying £185.00 for the next 15 months...some kind of special deal while at the NEC.