PDA

View Full Version : A word of warning - teenagers and Motorcycle Live

QB1
25-11-12, 04:36 PM
A word of warning for anyone considering taking a teenager to Motorcycle Live - DONT :) :)

I managed to drag my daughter along on Saturday (she's no bike fan at all :o :-[) but she hasnt stopped talking about this - http://www.aixam.co.uk

Oh I SO wish we hadnt seen that stand. She's even been asking her Dad how he can unrestrict it so that it'll do more than 30 ;D

Dabz
25-11-12, 04:46 PM
That's brilliant, I'd have been all over that when I was 16!

QB1
25-11-12, 04:50 PM
That's brilliant, I'd have been all over that when I was 16!

No its NOT brilliant ::) ::) ;D ;D

Joking apart can you imagine the chaos one of them would cause on a main road flat out at 30 mph holding all the traffic up. :o

BB
25-11-12, 04:51 PM
;D We saw it at the Footman James bike show last week. Looks interesing and I'm sure any teenager would want one ;)

BB

redken1
25-11-12, 05:01 PM
No info of cost on the website - Bet they ain't cheap.

QB1
25-11-12, 05:09 PM

I think they were £9,998 at the show :o :o

redken1
25-11-12, 05:13 PM

I think they were £9,998 at the show :o :o

Lotsa washing up and cuddles for mummies and daddies on the horizon me thinks.

Blimey!!! that would pay for a whole term at university and a night out :o ;) :P

wheelers
25-11-12, 05:56 PM
sense of deja vu, back in the sixties the bike industry more or less died when the mini's came in. now you can drive a car at 16 so the unhealthy bike scene at the moment looks like its going to be another nail in the coffin for us...
on a basis of £10k its probably on a par with the sixties.

Col
25-11-12, 07:55 PM
:-? at a bike show.

Seem to remember in the wonderful life we used to enjoy before wet weekenders took over and created the peoples nazi control enforcement restrictions that are a pain in the arse we could drive about in 3 wheelers if they had no reverse ...some will know mesherschmitts and the old bubble cars and they did quite a bit more than a mind numbing 30mph [shouldn't be allowed]...also wasn't there a 'sand buggy' 4 wheeler ?

Splash
25-11-12, 08:07 PM
Let's hope with the economy how it is, no parents will be buying their kids these...especially at £10K, a 'L' plate 50cc Scooter doing 30MPH on a road is frustrating enough let alone a milk float, with someone poodling down the road at 30MPH. It'll be worse than getting stuck behind a learner!

I'm all for their independence, as a teen myself (19) it's nice to be able to get around and adventure and do what suits.

wheelers
25-11-12, 08:35 PM
at this years trade show there were a couple of stands trying to get retailers interested in electric two wheelers.
One came from America via Holland. had the power output to rate it a 125, in mx guise the suggested retail was £12,000. aimed at the younger market... dont think so.

Long John
26-11-12, 08:51 AM
Believe it or not, the girl on the stand took 7 orders on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. Apparently most buyers are concerned mothers and they marketed as being Slow! as well as safe etc..... Apparently she claimed one 16 year old lad was quoted £2000 for insurance. Bargain £12 k for first set of wheels. I remember all my mates searching high and low for
Gilera's, fizzers and the AP50 just so we didn't have to do 30mph, and all these 2 wheeler rockets were a couple of hundred quid, big smiles and happy days ::)

Gooz
26-11-12, 09:54 AM
Hmm lets re invent the wheel............ we wont call it a "car" oh no far too boring.......... lets side step and call it a Quadricycle............... WTF its a car !

Splash
26-11-12, 01:02 PM
TBH it makes me laugh if 'Mothers' think they are safe, one example... a small box moving at 30MPH on a rural road that has a limit of 60MPH will leave a trail of motorist wanting to over take... that right there is a cause for concern.. isn't it? Safe Really???

Kevinb
26-11-12, 01:24 PM
;D We saw it at the Footman James bike show last week. Looks interesing and I'm sure any teenager would want one ;)

BB

We went but didn't see this unless I mistook it for a bin

QB1
26-11-12, 01:25 PM
TBH it makes me laugh if 'Mothers' think they are safe, one example... a small box moving at 30MPH on a rural road that has a limit of 60MPH will leave a trail of motorist wanting to over take... that right there is a cause for concern.. isn't it? Safe Really???

I couldnt agree more - it's absolute madness :o :o

That was one of my first thoughts when I saw it was restricted to 30.

Its gonna be a pretty scary experience for a 16 year old out on a main road in that tiny thing too surrounded by other impatient drivers tailgating and squeezing past them.

It did also look pretty flimsy.

I wouldnt want my daughter driving one for sure.

Mind you with all the lowered speed limits appearing perhaps it wont be a problem soon ::) ::)

Kevinb
26-11-12, 01:26 PM
Believe it or not, the girl on the stand took 7 orders on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. Apparently most buyers are concerned mothers and they marketed as being Slow! as well as safe etc..... Apparently she claimed one 16 year old lad was quoted £2000 for insurance. Bargain £12 k for first set of wheels. I remember all my mates searching high and low for
Gilera's, fizzers and the AP50 just so we didn't have to do 30mph, and all these 2 wheeler rockets were a couple of hundred quid, big smiles and happy days ::)

I had the AP50 it did 200mph more than a fizzer. Flat out lying on the tank you could hear the sonic boom ;D

QB1
26-11-12, 01:31 PM

I had the AP50 it did 200mph more than a fizzer. Flat out lying on the tank you could hear the sonic boom ;D

Nope Suzuki GT50K - hottest 50 on the road ;D ;D

Mine was anyway.

Jon_W
26-11-12, 03:57 PM
45kmh.... that sounds like a mobile chicane!

I'd make 'em wait a year and get a proper car or bike.

Geordie Stu
26-11-12, 06:01 PM
That's a cool looking car :) ;D ;D

Swanny
26-11-12, 06:48 PM
Restricted to 30....... Until someone finds away to derestrict it

redken1
26-11-12, 07:40 PM
Hmm lets re invent the wheel............ we wont call it a "car" oh no far too boring.......... lets side step and call it a Quadricycle............... WTF its a car !

Agree Gooz it’s a small car – obviously just a marketing ploy.

If my memory serves me right, I recall my driving instructor advising me not to drive at too slow a speed in a 60mph zone which holds up the flow of traffic and causes frustration, words to that effect anyway.

As has already been pointed out, can you imagine the chaos if the roads were full of cars restricted to 28mph?

Wonder what Clarkson and co will make of it? ;D

Jon_W
27-11-12, 08:14 AM
Restricted to 30....... Until someone finds away to derestrict it

It's called an R1 engine..... :o

Kevinb
27-11-12, 01:00 PM
30mph probably on the flat. It's not going to look so nice once someones rammed three tonne of Volvo into the back of it.

Unlike killing yourself on a scooter you get a ready made coffin with this ;D

Splash
27-11-12, 02:04 PM
30mph probably on the flat. It's not going to look so nice once someones rammed three tonne of Volvo into the back of it.

Unlike killing yourself on a scooter you get a ready made coffin with this ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SupeRDel
27-11-12, 06:28 PM
These were featured on the radio the other day. They were expecting to sell 2000 in the first year.

Can't see it myself at 10 grand then another 2 grand to insure.

I'm sure they said the top speed was only 28mph

Swanny
27-11-12, 06:45 PM
Kids of today don't need their own transport like us old'uns did when we were young, they have mums/dads taxi service these days :)

fd2526
27-11-12, 08:14 PM
Real shame about the top speed (and price ;) )! I quite liked it otherwise, hopefully be able to get a test drive when they're out ;D

voodoo
27-11-12, 09:38 PM
Just what we need, teenagers revving the crap out of a mobile shoe at the lights from now on :D

Senna(Dan)
28-11-12, 04:34 PM
I am sure several years ago a company called Robin built a three wheeled vehicle called a reliant that you can still drive on a moped licence at 16. This does above 30 but doesn't corner at all!

As for £2k in insurance, I think I would go down the moped/scooter route as my first insurance was £450 fully comp at 16 on a moped that did 40 as standard.

House
28-11-12, 05:47 PM
I had a standard sidevalve Ford Pop a while back. It would do 40 at a push but stuck to 30 most of the time.

I had people flashing their lights, waving their hands and blowing their horn at me almost every time i went out. I pulled in once to rip the guy behind me apart but i wasn't the 80 year old he was expecting and he drove off sharpish to change his pants.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone let alone a 16 year old. I could take it most of the time as it was expected BUT as every biker knows, there are a lot of assholes on the road who have no patients which will make it a bad experience for a learner.

Scotty
28-11-12, 06:56 PM
I am sure several years ago a company called Robin built a three wheeled vehicle called a reliant that you can still drive on a moped licence at 16. This does above 30 but doesn't corner at all....
The company was Reliant and one of their cars was the Robin, aka Plastic Pig due to its glass fibre bodywork - often popular as winter transport amongst bikers as being a 3-wheeler it was classed as a trike and as such could be driven on a full bike licence, without the need for taking a car test.

Swanny
01-12-12, 10:37 AM
You had to disable the reverse gear to ride them on a bike licence.

How many 16 year olds are going to have £12000??
I had a 2nd hand DT50 at 16 because that was all I could afford. I was earning good money, £70 a week working on a farm. I left school at 15 which mean by the time I was 16 I had bought and paid for my moped :)

Rabb
02-12-12, 09:41 PM
Return of a funkier Robin Reliant (but with an extra wheel)
Yes it's just a very light & slow small car.
A 16 year old with this - Oh dear! I can see the newspaper headlines already.......

Swanny
03-12-12, 12:30 AM
I don't think they'll bother for the sake of 1 year, in my experience kids of today aren't as adventurous as we were, not many of them have or want jobs, they are very pampered and are driven everywhere by parents, better off just waiting until they are 17 and getting mummy to buy them a proper car.
Gives them more time to play on their xboxes :)

Col
03-12-12, 12:51 AM
@Swanny not all of them mate. I know it seems a lot of them are lazy gits but...

I have a young lad [18] who is at college and has worked over the last couple of summers which helped him buy a small car...and he turns up one day in the week to get experience/help out which means a 5a.m. get outta bed and he isn't paid for that.
Also know students who always work when not at uni/college long hours and I bet some do when they are there.

Swanny
03-12-12, 08:48 AM
Yea of course not all of them. My two nephews were great and did anything they could to earn money but I know of a couple of mates who have kids that are the laziest things going. My GF's boy does pretty much nothing at all except for play PS3, he gets fatter every time I see him ;D

Jon_W
03-12-12, 01:26 PM
Reminded me of the DAF cars of the 70's with the variomatic transmission!!!

Loops
03-12-12, 07:18 PM
Reminds me of a conversation my mum had with some friends. They asked her 'how does you daughter afford to have a car at uni, ours is always out with her friends and never has any money'

My mum just looked at them blankly and said 'she works, she saves, and she doesn't go out every night'.

Some people just don't get it ::)

Splash
03-12-12, 07:33 PM
Reminds me of a conversation my mum had with some friends. They asked her 'how does you daughter afford to have a car at uni, ours is always out with her friends and never has any money'

My mum just looked at them blankly and said 'she works, she saves, and she doesn't go out every night'.

Some people just don't get it ::)

;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::)

Cracking up to that, would have loved to have been there!