PDA

View Full Version : Straight Through Exhaust?

skippernick
14-12-12, 08:10 PM
Hi all,

Just taken my micron exhaust can off my fzs600 and shone a torch down the link pipe and it shines right through to the exit of the can, it MOT time thats why its off. It doesn't have a db killer so is a fruity noise but i hadn't realised it was straight through.
My question is this, is this straight through can damaging the engine, something about back pressure? I know its illegal and thats my decision, but I don't want to ruin my engine.
Many thanks
Nick

Conehead
14-12-12, 08:23 PM
I think it does but not sure. In the past I have heard the carbs need re-setting. Not a pro but sure someone on here will be able to confirm.

skippernick
14-12-12, 09:17 PM
Perhaps i should add that i added the can and no jetting was required and the bike has't missed a beat.

Wes
15-12-12, 02:36 PM
In the majority of cases it will make no difference, if you were to fit a race air filter with the can then it could be worth a balance to get everything in harmony, i had the carbs and fueling sorted on the blade and got another 5bhp from this alone :)

Gooz
15-12-12, 03:29 PM
Its all about the pulses maaaaan.... :o :D :D :D :D

Gooz
15-12-12, 03:33 PM
On a serious note........... yeah right, it can affect the low down tourque curve of an engine, and does intefere with the pulse of an engine ( blow back into the head from exhaust side) it will also cause your engine to run a lot leaner which can in turn burn out valve seats and piston crowns, hence exhausts usually run 4 to 2 to 1, this stops the engine blowing back at the head joints. so if you run straight through and your engine has an egr valve its important to get it re tuned and balanced aswell,

skippernick
15-12-12, 06:43 PM
Ok thanks guys, its a standard air filter and its only the end can, normal pipes on are on it.

Gooz
17-12-12, 03:07 PM
If it has standard collector and link pipe then it has inherrent back pressure :) even if you run through an open door you still slow down :)

Jon_W
29-12-12, 11:57 AM
Makes no odds.