PDA

View Full Version : crap sticking to wheels

Gooz
09-12-12, 07:30 PM
Anyone else suffer with bloody chain lube gunking up their wheels, Ive had it before and wax when polishing made it alot easier to shift, Ive started using muc off chainlube supposed to be dry but its anything but, the ****e is all over my back wheels and is so sticky it really takes some shifting, ive used wheel cleaner etc but it still refuses to budge easily, tar remover finally shifted it but im not happy spraying white spirit based cleaner all over my back wheel and tyres :( any ideas ?

Splash
09-12-12, 07:48 PM
Worth Dry Chain Lube - I've used it for a year now, through winter and summer and can not fault it. I buy it from amazon through Laguna motorcycles I think it is. Cheapest place I had found, when I last looked a few months back.

During the winter I combine this with worth chain wax, this gives little fling but helps protect the chain a little more in the rain / winter / salted roads.

With the dry lube I generally re-apply every 300-400 miles or once a week whichever comes first (dependent upon weather conditions)

No fling, just clean your rear wheel like you would the front, crud free! :)

Long John
09-12-12, 08:04 PM
Not tried removing that crap in particular, usually use WD 40 on a cloth to remove everything oiling from the swinging arm etc...... Hope it works on this. :)

QB1
09-12-12, 08:10 PM
Yep - I've got white wheels too which are a bugger :o

I've found lubing the chain when it's warm after a ride rather than before reduces the amount which comes off, and then I use Autoglym showshine to clean the wheels.

Nelly
09-12-12, 08:12 PM
I always use an aerosol degreaser, any make. Spray a bit on an old cloth and wipe away, simples :)

redken1
09-12-12, 08:23 PM
Gooz, try Vulcanet wipes. Type the name in and read the reviews. I bought them at the London bike show in the beginning of the year as they were half price.

Still half left and they are one of the best cleaning products I have ever used. Fantastic for cleaning bike between washes and can be used on all surfaces. Shift all the grease from wheels, bugs of screen etc and no harmful chemicals.

Gooz
09-12-12, 08:50 PM
it wouldnt be half so bad if suzuki in their wisdom had polished/painted the whole rim, half of each side is rough on the inners painted on the outers, the ****e sticks in ther like crap to a blanket, and cause its the rough cast dont want to come off !

redken1
09-12-12, 09:04 PM
You going to the party? I'll bring you one of those wipes to try if you want.

No mess with degreasers and grease running all over your drive. Sorted. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Gooz
09-12-12, 09:39 PM
We didnt confirm yet Ken due to other comittments but its now looking good, Im possibly running my daughter up to the midlands Saturday for time with her mums family before christmas back down here with us, hence the hoon to NMM on saturday, shoul :P be back in time quite comfortably so have to rethink and discuss with Sammy the Chamois :)

redken1
09-12-12, 09:55 PM
Don't want to reveal too much but could stuff it down me bra. ;)

Wes
10-12-12, 09:20 PM
WD or similar takes any grime off the wheels a treat :)

DC
10-12-12, 09:52 PM
Gooz, try Vulcanet wipes. Type the name in and read the reviews. I bought them at the London bike show in the beginning of the year as they were half price.

Still half left and they are one of the best cleaning products I have ever used. Fantastic for cleaning bike between washes and can be used on all surfaces. Shift all the grease from wheels, bugs of screen etc and no harmful chemicals.

I use these wipes they're really good and they sell them at Motorcycle Magacity in Swindon.

Jon_W
11-12-12, 01:30 PM
I use water soluble de-greaser. Cut through it fine!

Snowy
11-12-12, 01:46 PM
With modern day power outputs, a shaft is the only way forward ;D ;D

And you won't end up with crap on your rim :o ;D

WD40 to loosen it up and SDoc100 gel to clean it all off would be my way to go......if I had that problem of course ;)

Rabb
11-12-12, 09:49 PM
WD 40 or GT 85 - both work well.

Jon_W
29-12-12, 12:14 PM

WD40 to loosen it up and SDoc100 gel to clean it all off would be my way to go......if I had that problem of course ;)

Shaft drive.... positively victorian!

belts are the future!

redken1
29-12-12, 03:31 PM

belts are the future!

True Jon

Even BMW have seen the light as their 800cc range use belt final drive. ;)

Snowy
29-12-12, 04:54 PM

belts are the future!

True Jon

Even BMW have seen the light as their 800cc range use belt final drive. ;)

Not on the real men's bike's though ;D ;D :-* :P

Swanny
29-12-12, 05:46 PM
I wish my bike had a belt instead of a chain. No need for maintenance and if it goes wrong you just get another.
Must be the best option out there :)

Gooz
29-12-12, 06:03 PM
Im not so sure swanny, the belt on my trousers fails on a regular basis................ oops too much turkey!

Snowy
29-12-12, 06:04 PM
I wish my bike had a belt instead of a chain. No need for maintenance and if it goes wrong you just get another.

C'mon over to the dark side Swanny ;D ;D ;)

redken1
29-12-12, 08:48 PM
In my younger biking days only 'Old biker biddies' rode shaft propelled machines.

Some things never change.

:P :D ;) ;D :o

Snowy
29-12-12, 11:14 PM
In my younger biking days only 'Old biker biddies' rode shaft propelled machines.

Some things never change.

:P :D ;) ;D :o

Same here..... the good old days huh? ;)

wheelers
30-12-12, 09:25 AM
dont think so, my harley had a chain never had a problem, bought a newer belt drive one for the eldest. rode back from Ascot got to the Plough when the lights changed I went nowhere.... belt had snapped just sat at the lights luckilly we had a unit close by. then after a trip to Riders had to fit new one (around the same price as a good chain
) then began the task of removing the wheel and swinging arm as only way to fit. PITA chains much easier.

Rabb
30-12-12, 10:05 AM
You can't go wrong with a chain! No belt / shaft drive for me.

RedSoul
30-12-12, 11:06 AM
Maybe I am just lazy but all I do is spray pro clean on the offending area and jet wash off a few minutes later.