PDA

View Full Version : RIP Calne Bike meet

SupeRDel
21-11-12, 08:43 PM
Idiots have just announced this.......

BIG announcement!!!!! This year's event will be The Calne Lions Bowood Motorbike Meet to be held in the grounds of the beautiful Bowood House. It will be on Saturday 27th July from 8am - 6pm.

Admission will be £3 for a solo rider and £5 for rider and pillion passenger. There will be lots more trade stands and an autojumble as well as motorcycle clubs,live bands, a beer tent, cafe, helmet store, funfair, food stands and much more to be confirmed.

We will have an arena where we will be having cavalcades from vintage, classic, veteran and special interest bikes with awards for the most appealing.

All proceeds still go to charity. Please keep watching for more announcements about attractions and events to keep this as the biggest and best motorcycle event in the South West!

Dabz
21-11-12, 08:45 PM
What a brilliant way to immediately kill a bloody good event.

BB
21-11-12, 08:54 PM
Not keen on the idea myself, not what Calne was all about! Is he hoping to be the new Beaulieu? :-/

redken1
21-11-12, 08:58 PM
Did the organisers not consult with other biking stakeholders like WB before taking the decision?

Just wondering

SupeRDel
21-11-12, 08:59 PM
http://www.facebook.com/CalneMotorcycleMeet2013?ref=stream

SupeRDel
21-11-12, 09:02 PM
I had discussions with the new organiser after the last event. He wanted to make it bigger and had grand ideas.

The bowood plan appeared today, nobody has been consulted in the bike world - new organiser is not a biker

Please fire your comments on facebook

Dabz
21-11-12, 09:12 PM
New organiser not a biker - this says it all

wheelers
21-11-12, 09:18 PM
strains of shepton mallet classic auction, someone else takes over and it nosedives, also the Farleigh classic mx, not Dave Kings but the Hereford one. took over and entry prices went sky high. sad news. shame Im not a facebook user....

Dabz
21-11-12, 09:34 PM
If I hadn't been on the organising committee of a big show in recent memory and have fresh memories of the long hours, hard work and politics involved in organising big public events I'd suggest we approach other towns with a view to doing a Wiltshire bikers show :)

SupeRDel
21-11-12, 09:55 PM
They need to keep it simple. Forget all the organising with bands and hog roasts, etc.

Have it as a simple social meet and charge a quid parking for charity and then just marshal the parking

Gooz
21-11-12, 09:55 PM
RIP calne, Dabz as an accomplished event organiser I would happily take up the reigns of that if you fancy it, and an idea is already forming :)

Gooz
21-11-12, 09:57 PM
Trowbridge park and town is a beckoning :) :) hmm and as a public area Im sure you can lay a claim to use the area.

Dabz
21-11-12, 09:59 PM
RIP calne, Dabz as an accomplished event organiser I would happily take up the reigns of that if you fancy it, and an idea is already forming :)

Gooz - WB doesn't have the working capital to even prepare the application for a license, let alone the health and safety manual and insurances needed before an event can be booked. I've organise large events before and these days there's too much red tape which is extremely expensive. That's before marketing which is key (believe me - relying on work of mouth and social media is a recipe for disaster)

Nelly
21-11-12, 10:08 PM
Disgrace RIP Calne. >:(

Gooz
21-11-12, 10:16 PM
It all starts with a rally :) which opens an invite as a private event, or you bolt it onto another event and let them pay to grease the wheels first, calne started as a ride in and grew.

SupeRDel
22-11-12, 12:02 AM
calne started as a ride in and grew.

and thats where it needs to go back too. something simple and friendly.

Last Train
22-11-12, 07:41 AM
That is a real shame ::)

I loved the informality of Calne

Bonnielass
22-11-12, 08:27 AM
So will we still have a stand??

Dabz
22-11-12, 08:51 AM
So will we still have a stand??

Yup - Calne is/was our only fundraising opportunity of the year other than the 100 club so we need to do whatever we can to raise donations. Whether we get as much as normal we'll have to wait and see I guess :/

Ducatista
22-11-12, 09:21 AM
Did the organisers not consult with other biking stakeholders like WB before taking the decision?

They did advertise in the press asking for volunteers to attend boring Health & Safety meetings. They got no takers and no support from local businesses.

I've read some of the comments written by the organisers on facebook and they didn't just randomly decide on a change, it was a change coming for a few years and brought about by health & safety requirements that are impossible to meet in the town.

If you want another event I would suggest time is best spent organising one rather than whinging about what other volunteers have done or not done.
However be aware that there are issue like health and safety, licenses etc. that will need to be met, so organising something like that is no easy task.

I am glad there are people willing to do these tasks and then take the criticism - a lot of it ill-informed and unjustified.

I may be in a minority - possibly a minority of 1, but I think the move to Bowood is an improvement.

Dabz
22-11-12, 09:45 AM

They did advertise in the press asking for volunteers to attend boring Health & Safety meetings. They got no takers and no support from local businesses.

I've read some of the comments written by the organisers on facebook and they didn't just randomly decide on a change, it was a change coming for a few years and brought about by health & safety requirements that are impossible to meet in the town.

If you want another event I would suggest time is best spent organising one rather than whinging about what other volunteers have done or not done.
However be aware that there are issue like health and safety, licenses etc. that will need to be met, so organising something like that is no easy task.

I am glad there are people willing to do these tasks and then take the criticism - a lot of it ill-informed and unjustified.

Couldn't agree more - I've been justifying my decision not to even consider staring a similar event all night for these very reasons :) I've been there and done it so I know first hand the time and expense needed to even get licenses granted, let alone a show off the ground.

Gooz
22-11-12, 09:47 AM
I will whinge and moan and continue to do so, I am not ill informed and I know exactly what goes into organising such events, health and safety is a smokescreen, The meet started informally as a ride in and progressed as such, the rotary jumped upon it as a good fundraiser which it was, the lions then took it over seeing its potential when in reality needs neither, Bowood will have offeres the lions either a stake or percentage to run it there, by making it a pay to enter event it is neither within the ethos or ideals of which it was conceived, its informal, always was and always should be, that is the whole crux of it, charity and club stands stood within that representation, once market traders and exhibitors were bought into the mix it was an immediate dilution of the original meet, as for the fun fair well that just helped it screw the whole up as it took too much parking space.

Dabz
22-11-12, 09:55 AM
the issue was the size that it grew to - the downward spiral started with Wilts CC asked the Lions to prevent bikes from parking on the pavement, which we all know is an impossible ask for Calne Bike Show. Add to that the fact that the A4 is a major artery road for Wiltshire that was being clogged up each year and there's a major issue, aside from the fact that it costs a lot of money to run. Modern red tape....none of which existed a decade ago when the event was growing

Ducatista
22-11-12, 09:55 AM
I will whinge and moan and continue to do so

and I will continue to suggest that time would be better spent doing something purposeful :) (off to do something pursposeful)

I know exactly what goes into organising such events

It's a real shame that someone like you couldn't offer help when it was requested. Someone of your talents might have been able to resolve the issues perhaps? but I guess it's a fait accompli now.

Mitch9128
22-11-12, 10:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TtGQnyPZ6g

QB1
22-11-12, 11:37 AM
You never know Bowood might just be better?

I understand the 'show' isnt going to be the same but I can understand the reasons for the change.

Seems to me a lot of people are very eager to jump up and down and moan and do little about it.

(Mitch I reckon you may just be spot on :))

Kevinb
22-11-12, 01:25 PM
It doesn't have to stop in the town centre. If enough people still attend in the town I'm sure the businesses would love it.

Dabz
22-11-12, 01:50 PM
No, but you can bet the parking wardens would have a field day when people inevitably park on pavements etc

Gooz
22-11-12, 02:04 PM
Well according to the report, it was local business that was opposed to it, they claimed a fall in footfall on the day of the meet, and complained as such, as for fearing change, not at all, I dont, In fact I have suggested such but along with keeping to the same principals, as for sitting back and not doing anything, maybe you should ring the local chamber of commerce before you point fingers, and wiltshire county council who have also had a grilling and alternative proposition put their way for consideration.
Im not and never have been one to sit idley by when things fall apart, as for helping before now, were any riders consulted about the change before it was agreed, not me and in fact I very much doubt anyone of you knew, if you did you can bet it would have been discussed at length before now !............... Unfortunately you will now get reaction not pro action as the horse has bolted. :-X

Ducatista
22-11-12, 03:25 PM
I think the change is a positive step (although I'm not a fan of parking on grass).
I also think charging a fee will raise more money for charity, provide some proper facilities and mean it's limited to those who really are interested and keep some of the scumbags out (the sort of people that put a cigarette butt in your top box).

But if people really don't like it them I guess they can simply not go and they can even go to Calne with their friends on the day if they want. It's a free country, we can all go where we want and donate whatever we want.

Swanny
22-11-12, 06:33 PM
Follow the money [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

redken1
22-11-12, 06:43 PM

I may be in a minority - possibly a minority of 1, but I think the move to Bowood is an improvement.

Ducatista,

This was clearly not a criticism of the organisers of the event (I don’t know enough about it), but a question in response to James’s first post on this thread with the aim of ascertaining the facts behind the decision. Nothing more. 8-)

DC
22-11-12, 10:06 PM
Have only been to Calne Bikemeet twice and really enjoyed the atmosphere there, the fact that it was in the town really made the event for me.However i do love Bowood and its surrounding countryside and views and feel that it may also be a good alternative 8-)

Geordie Stu
23-11-12, 10:08 AM
What about local traders who benefitted by the extra trade & revenue coming into the town. Also, the local community, I got the impression at lot of the local residents actually enjoyed it.
My 1st Calne show some old dear (Bless) ::) had made cakes & making cups of Tea. Not for profit she did because she felt she was part of the community. That's not going to happen at Bowood. :(

Ducatista
23-11-12, 10:33 AM
a question in response to James’s first post on this thread with the aim of ascertaining the facts behind the decision

I tried to help in answering that.
They said they advertised 3 times in the press and also asked the local traders for help.
They didn't get any volunteers to attend all the required and boring health and safety meetings.

I agree with Stu that the sense of community will be lost with it being moved, but there are also some upsides - Bowood is a lovely venue and there will be dedicated facilities and it won't bother the people in the town that don't want it.

Julie_S
24-11-12, 12:27 PM
The whole appeal was that anybody could just turn up. All the members of the public who just liked to mill about won't want to pay to get in, if nothing else as soon as it is a 'show' and in the grounds of somewhere you feel you are stepping into somebody else's teritory and not feel half as inclined to attend. At Calne everyone who wanted could just turn up and see that people that ride bikes are quite normal - not how the press paint them.

Gooz
24-11-12, 01:52 PM
My sentiment exactly julie its not just the riders , the general public and residents of calne saw it as a free day out for themselves and families, you wont get that anywhere else with a gate price, which means the whole atmosphere will be changed.

Beamer
24-11-12, 02:59 PM
UPDATE

This was taken from the FB page which was posted last night.

After much consideration and debate, the Lions Club of Calne have decided to reconsider attempting to host the Calne Motorcycle Meet at Bowood. In the face of such opposition, we have decided to let those who wish to keep it going in another form a fair go at doing so. It certainly is not viable for us or Rotary to attempt to keep it in the town centre. This is despite our combined experience of hosting large events over a number of years.
It is heartening that so many people have come forward from the town and biking fraternity to take up the helm and can have the input that is required to take on such a daunting task. Councillor Howard Marshall (of Calne Rotary Club) has issued the following statement to the Gazette & Herald:

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/10067993.Calne_s_popular_motorbike_meet_in_doubt/

It will now be up to the people and businesses of Calne to oversee and manage the bike meet. Despite comments to the contrary, such a huge event does not ‘just happen’ by people turning up. It is a great testament to the organizers that is has appeared so effortless to the public. That it has remained an accident free, safe and happy environment year on year despite such rapid growth is not just luck but laudable.

As a service organisation the Lions seek to raise funds for charity and at the same time support our local town and hopefully stage events which are enjoyed by many. If we went wide of the mark on this one, it was only with the good intention of keeping a much loved local event alive. And still within Calne – as Bowood is. Maybe not town centre, but Calne none the less. We DID consult bikers as to what they might want and it appears that you cannot please all of the people all of the time! This was not turning into a corporate event lining anyone’s pocket other than being a charity fundraiser as it has always been meant to be.

We will continue to do what we strive to do as well as we can in Calne which is to raise as many funds as we can to distribute to those who need a helping hand one way or another. We will soon be taking ourselves out every night in December (unless the weather beats us!) bringing Santa down your street and then with the Duck Race in May. Both raising smiles and funds as we go hopefully. As most of you know, most of that money is distributed to local causes throughout the year.

We feel that we do our best to support our community 365 days a year – not 1. Please do all join in and help with not just this, but ALL of the events that help Calne be a good place to be in year round.

We wish whoever takes on this event the very best of luck and hope you can see it though for many years to come.

2]I have contacted the chap who is possibly going to organise the event to offer our help if necessary.

If anyone is interested in helping out somehow then Im sure it will be much appreciated. (bearing in mind WB will also have its own stand there as well)[/highlight]

Gooz
24-11-12, 03:05 PM
I see it as good news and will be happy to offer help to whoever .

Beamer
24-11-12, 03:10 PM
I see it as good news and will be happy to offer help to whoever .

Great stuff....I shall wait until I hear back from the chap to see what their plans are and then I can pass on any info for everyone. :) :)

Gooz
24-11-12, 03:47 PM
Ive already contacted directly Tina, We have at our disposal fortunately Health and safety consultants two of which are chartered members and really do cut red tape, Chris who you met when you took your first aid course is also a counciller ;) which helps and has already started fighting the bikers corner .

Kevinb
24-11-12, 05:25 PM
For information, please see below a reply I got from The president of the Calne chamber of commerce

Dear Kevin

Yes I am very concerned about the bike festival. As I understand it the
Rotary club who runs the event do not have the capacity the organise it any
more. It is an important event for the town. The Lions were going to take it
over and decided to run it from Bowood. As this has not gone down well with
either the Town or people who come to the event they are also, as I
understand it, not going to run with the event. As a Chamber we will be
talking to the Town Council to see what can be done. You are right, it is a
major boost to our local economy and I would personally hate to see the
event not take place.

Best wishes
Paul Ogden
President Calne Chamber of Commerce

Gooz
24-11-12, 05:31 PM
Hmmm didnt I say in previous posts chamber of commerce was the way to go :) they lean so heavily on the county councils and do get heard, Id also done the same Kev, I reckon a collaboration and some nice support from Wadworths if we can get it will see this better than ever and in its proper place. roads are closed and as such all footpaths should be kept clear where necessary to dissolve the other argument for restricted disabled access around the town, I dont totally hold with it as its a very convienient excuse which people are afraid to tackle and usually accept as read.

Dabz
24-11-12, 05:44 PM
Good luck getting the A4 closed! One event would cause traffic chaos throughout Wiltshire hehe

Gooz
24-11-12, 06:47 PM
Dabz why so negative, and why would the A4 need closing, it never has in the past, im talking about the blocking of footpaths, its not necessary, the side roads are closed so park the bikes on the roads, use chepstow as a good prime example, every year httb runs in there and just gets bigger, the town accomodate it and embrace it, pedestrian access is also maintained, life will never be perfect but it can be made workable

Dabz
24-11-12, 10:20 PM
I think my negativity is only a culmination of 3 days of people telling me how easy it is to organise an event like Calne and getting funny when I don't want to organise it as a WB event. I devoted a huge amount of time organising a similar event this year so it wound me up how everyone seems to know best but doesn't have a clue :)

Fingers crossed Calne will go ahead as normal and will be a great day out for us all!

Col
24-11-12, 11:45 PM
Totally LMFAO!!!! elf 'n saffie ,council, twiddle. twaddlwe ,organisation innit, oooohhh are we safe ?, ooooh!! have we got a licence to fart --have we ?? help there's going to be somat happenin -----

--------jeezus what is going on today..shut the bloody road ;D ;D ;D part of it was watching peeps piss balling about up and dahn !!! walking thru the [shock horror] traffic----------at what point is the peoples control nazi told to **** off???

am I the only one who is bored senseless by this conformation to twaddle and inability to do anything without some self appointed knob end putting the kybosh on stuff ffs!!!

utter crap ----no apologies if any offended :-*

DO IT !!!!

it ain't brain surgery is it ::)

Oi !!! the Calne bike day is July whatever get yer arse dahn here and anyone wanna sell crap is welcome especially cream cakes and beer---any bands wanna play sort it---job done :)

Snowy
25-11-12, 07:50 AM
Totally LMFAO!!!! elf 'n saffie ,council, twiddle. twaddlwe ,organisation innit, oooohhh are we safe ?, ooooh!! have we got a licence to fart --have we ?? help there's going to be somat happenin -----

--------jeezus what is going on today..shut the bloody road ;D ;D ;D part of it was watching peeps piss balling about up and dahn !!! walking thru the [shock horror] traffic----------at what point is the peoples control nazi told to **** off???

am I the only one who is bored senseless by this conformation to twaddle and inability to do anything without some self appointed knob end putting the kybosh on stuff ffs!!!

DO IT !!!!

Oi !!! the Calne bike day is July whatever get yer arse dahn here and anyone wanna sell crap is welcome especially cream cakes and beer---any bands wanna play sort it---job done :)

Sounds like the jobs yours Col.

redken1
25-11-12, 08:16 AM
"The Big Society"?????????? :-X :-X :-X :-X

Dabz
25-11-12, 10:34 AM

DO IT !!!!

Thanks Col, yeh that's what I was talking about! I assume that post was tongue in cheek to summarise my point about how people haven't got the first clue what's involved?

Ducatista
26-11-12, 09:24 AM
I think Dabz is being entirely realistic because unlike many others he has an idea about what's involved and after all the Rotary and Lion haven't managed it so we know it's not a piece of cake because unlike some ill-informed opinions they don't actually just turn up on the day.

I hope the new volunteers are successful but turning down Bowood means there is now a risk of the event not going ahead at all.

Kevinb
26-11-12, 01:20 PM
It's only arranging (around a normal working day):-

About 40 marshalls with fetching jackets
Music licence
Health and safety
Catering
Liason with the district council, town council & police
Camping
Cleaning up after the event
Plus umpteen more things I may have missed

EASY ;D NOT

Kevinb
26-11-12, 01:38 PM
Could do it in Trowbridge?

We walked through Trowbridge Saturday and expected tumble weed to blow past us

I can see bikes up through the town centre and through the centre of the Shires.

Gooz
26-11-12, 02:08 PM
Well I just had a very nice chat with councillor Howard Marshall, expect an announcement Thursday time about commitee forming and further planning, the councils it would seem are not so opposed to the event, and I was right, Bowood were charging the Lions an extortionate amount for the "field to hold it on".
As I had said previously it would not have been a charitable event, some proceeds would have found their way to worthy causes whilst others and I appreciate operating costs are part of an "organised event" would have been swallowed up by profiteers.

Rally
12-01-13, 12:16 PM
Did anyone on here go to the meeting last Thursday and have anything to report?

Jacde
12-01-13, 06:50 PM
Rally, there's another thread about it, it's here http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1354484235

Jon_W
13-01-13, 09:42 PM
Could do it in Trowbridge?

We walked through Trowbridge Saturday and expected tumble weed to blow past us

I can see bikes up through the town centre and through the centre of the Shires.

That would be great, but I can't see our muppets agreeing to it! :-X