PDA

View Full Version : motorcycle mechanics courses

TT_Crazy
13-01-13, 03:56 PM
Does anybody know of anywhere you can go to train for motorcycle mechanics as i am going to be made redundant at the end of march,and would like a bike related job.
All perhaps somebody knows of any bike instructor jobs that are available.

wheelers
13-01-13, 07:33 PM
youngest started at Bristol. but you have to put up with YOP's going just for the money. they were not too keen on him as he was there to learn, not to mess about.
follow the Bristol link...
http://www.enginecycle.co.uk/motorcycle-technical-training-schools-directory

oldest did a degree in m/c mechanics and design at Swansea. we went to Coventry and Richmond in London, both had Wind tunnels Swansea dont but Swansea give you a lot of on track time and pc software. one lecturer was Colin Edwards suspension tech from Tech3.
digs and parking was cheaper than the other 2, apparently Huddersfield is another option. as for general mechanics course cant help, sorry.

Splash
14-01-13, 10:17 AM
TT Crazy,

I can only assume you've been hit by the redundancies at Honda? Sorry to hear if so!

I love how the media have said 800 Jobs are to go, the official count being 1105 including the temps!

Conehead
14-01-13, 11:50 PM
Its **** when companies do that, they just dont care.

KP
15-01-13, 11:15 AM
I worked at Honda for 9 years, probably the second worst company to work for ever, the 1st being the ones I work for now.... Thinking of going back to what I used to do, or take lorry test..... H mmmm decisions

But good luck in your search for work

Splash
15-01-13, 11:35 AM
Yeah it's not great, on top of Jessops, now potentially HMV (Surprised they haven't gone already) - not a great start to the year. Superstition? 13?

Conehead
15-01-13, 12:09 PM
I would absolutely love to drive LGV/HGV but the licences are so expensive that this will never happen for me. :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

KP
15-01-13, 12:31 PM
Yeah they are but anything can be achieved if you put your mind to it, I have a good mentor ! It's either that or back on heavy plant for me, if the right jobs comes up, don't wanna do site work all over again !

Ade
15-01-13, 01:00 PM
I would absolutely love to drive LGV/HGV but the licences are so expensive that this will never happen for me. :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/
..yeah it is expensive to do C or C+E training. I did the initial assessment (free) with WTTL who are on Hopton Ind Est in Devizes and after this assessment drive (45 mins on road) they said I just needed to do their 5 day course before doing my C test (rigids over 7.5 tonnes).

BUT note, unlike in car driving, you have to do your LGV Theory and Hazard perception tests first before you can go out on roads with WTTL training school.

Their 5 day course through to road test (they book it all for you) is £165 + VAT per day... so just under £1,000 with no guarantee of a pass and also certainly no guarantee of a job.
I have therefore not booked my Theory test or signed up for the course at the moment.

I did though buy the following two official DSA 2012 edition books:

The Official DSA Guide to Driving Goods Vehicles; and
The Official DSA Theory Test for drivers of Large Vehicles.

The second book contains all the official LGV and PCV theory test revision questions and answers from the Driving Standards Agency.... so covers lorries and buses.

I am happy to loan these books out if anyone is serious about doing LGV training / tests .... but i'll want them looked after and will want them back (they weren't cheap with combined RRP of £33.49 !!!! :o )

Conehead
15-01-13, 01:36 PM
Cheers for the advice Ade. Thats not a bad price but it is a bit rich for me at the moment. Possible redundancy within the next year, two very young kids and a third on the way. I will definately look into it later on when circumstances are better.