PDA

View Full Version : Towing

Conehead
23-01-13, 01:47 PM
Is it legal to tow a bike with a bike?

Seen it done but checking the legality of it in case i break down again sometime.

Geordie Stu
23-01-13, 01:54 PM
Don't think it is illegal. Just a couple of points. Where to attach the rope to the towing bike & where to attach the rope to the bike being towed.

The rope could get caught in the rear wheel & front wheel

Conehead
23-01-13, 02:47 PM
I would personally tie off on lead bikes sissy bar if strong enough or footrest and then wrap the other end once around the towed bikes footrest so that your foot holds it but if you need to cut loose you just need to raise your foot.

Not planning on doing this but it would have been nice to know when I broke down as it cost me a small fortune to collect my bike with a van from Wales.

Moo
23-01-13, 05:10 PM
I would personally tie off on lead bikes sissy bar if strong enough or footrest and then wrap the other end once around the towed bikes footrest so that your foot holds it but if you need to cut loose you just need to raise your foot.

Not planning on doing this but it would have been nice to know when I broke down as it cost me a small fortune to collect my bike with a van from Wales.

I've done it three times, once unsuccessfully and twice successfully.

First time was on my FS1E after I decided to drive through the Ford at Luckington and I swamped it. On this occasion I was towed, holding the tow rope in my hand so I could let go. Worked a dream.

Second time I tried to tow my mate but he didn't want to hold on the rope and insisted it was tied on. Just make sure the rope doesn't go slack says I and sets off. 15seconds later a loud scraping noise indicated that he had done just that and I was dragging his bike up the road on its side :(

Third time was last year when I towed JD up a track on my off road bike, not an ideal scenario as there is nowhere to tie a rope at the back of a WR and I ended up tying it round my waist which made it quite interesting.

None of them were very far probably about 2 miles max, (20 yards for the second) and I certainly wouldn't recommend it for long distances, that's what trailers and vans are for either yours, a mates or the RAC (Other rescue organisations are available) On the third occasion I towed him to the road and then went to get the trailer!

Rabb
23-01-13, 11:15 PM
I would say that it's not recommended - due to the 'slack rope' tangle scenario.
If it was on a 'fixed bar' system it might be alright but it would need some kind of 360 degree joint?

BB
24-01-13, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't suggest it was any further than absolutley necessary and ensure the towed bike is on a 'quick release' or it can get interesting.

A friend was towed from Imber down to Tilshead on his Bantam by a Tiger 100 (If I recall correctly) he reckoned it was the fastest the Bantam had ever gone! :D

BB

Kevinb
24-01-13, 08:45 AM
Answer is don't try as both riders will probably end up on their a*ses and then under a lorry or car..
Join the AA or RAC

Conehead
24-01-13, 06:04 PM
Cheers for the advice. I wasn't planning on doing it but was wondering what the law was regarding towing.