PDA

View Full Version : rear shock advice

wiltshire builders
21-01-13, 12:51 PM
After riding a mates rsv shod with ohlins at the TT last year it made it clear that the standard zx10r shock is .......well shocking.
I felt more like a racer and less like a rodeo rider. I could actually take the line I wanted rather than think ' am I going to end up part of that drystone wall?'

This years trip will be up through Scandinavia and down through the Balkans and maybe a quick dive into Russia so I need something up to the job.
I don't need it to be fully adjustable and I don't need it to cost £900
I've heard good things about Nitron. Anyone had experience?
Any recommendations would be great.

Jacde
21-01-13, 05:41 PM
I've got a Hagon, suits me fine, but I suspect our riding styles are very different!

Col
21-01-13, 05:47 PM
uhhh???? Scandinavia to the Balkans and into Russia :o ...really WB ?

yeah you may need a new bike ;D

Scotty
21-01-13, 06:55 PM
I've got Öhlins on both my 10s, can't fault them, and they certainly reduce the rodeo bull ride that the original gives! You needn't pay £900 for one though, keep an eye on ebay, motoforum etc. plus there's a uk-based owners forum. Nitron are good too, but get one of the better-spec'd ones that they offer.
If you're only going to ride solo, it'd be worth getting the spring changed for a softer one as whatever you get will come with a spring rated to carry a passenger too (if buying new you can probably specify that when you order). Let us know what you get... 8-)

gibbo
21-01-13, 07:55 PM
Don't go into Russia. Have a relative who does some HGV ing now and again in the former USSR. Roads are shocking and you could do time for a minor road offence. Keep away!! >:(

WheelBothEnds
21-01-13, 10:48 PM
Nitrons are good, or consider Hyperpro emulsion both pretty near Ohlins quality without the price tag. Lots of XT660z Tenere owners fit Nitrons instead of the OE Sachs units that bike arrives with.
No offence to Hagon users, whilst they are good for gentle use on road bikes or classics, it mustn't be forgotten that they are very much built to a price.
I have actually been to Russia and done quite a few miles on the gravel roads there [all the ones marked yellow on roadmaps- in other words the majority of them] you will benefit from a decent rear shock.
If you do go, and it's much recommended as somewhere to go- watch out for rear chain and sprocket wear, my Scott oiler managed to turn a newly fitted & top quality rear chain into knicker elastic in 6k miles!

StreetHippo
25-01-13, 10:46 AM
Nitron are only just up the road from Brize, you can go to the factory and talk to the bloke who will build your shock, you can specify exactly what you want.

Stu

wheelers
25-01-13, 06:35 PM
i would talk to Mark Hammond, he has been round the motox circus in the past so knows his way around Europes roads and would be able to sort you out

wiltshire builders
25-01-13, 11:36 PM
i would talk to Mark Hammond, he has been round the motox circus in the past so knows his way around Europes roads and would be able to sort you out
Yeah I actually dated Marks cousin so know him pretty well . He set up the zx when I bought it. Trouble is he'd just tell me to get an Ohlins.

Nitron are only just up the road from Brize, you can go to the factory and talk to the bloke who will build your shock, you can specify exactly what you want.

Stu
That's interesting . Might have to do that, cheers .

Mark_Able
28-01-13, 01:44 PM
I raced with a Nitron shock on my old R1. Had all the adjustment I needed, and is well built. I'd recommend. Having said that, the Hagon I've got on my FZ1 is a good shock, just lacking some adjustment, but not a problem on the road.