PDA

View Full Version : loss of confidence

Lou
30-01-13, 10:26 PM
Has anyone found that they have lost their confidence over the winter in riding, I rode hoggin the bridge in October, which was brilliant, then fell off in the H&C Car park, which was fine as I laughed it off. But cannot seem to get back on the bike, is it just me as I have just passed my test or does everyone get a bout of nerves if they haven't ridden for a while.

voodoo
30-01-13, 10:29 PM
It's natural when you've left it a while, especially when the weather's so c**p as you can fall into the trap of worrying about all sorts instead of relaxing and enjoying the ride. It might not seem it but the best thing will be to jump straight back on

Conehead
30-01-13, 10:33 PM
Im with Voodoo. get out of your comfort zone. It will all soon fall into place.

Beamer
30-01-13, 10:43 PM
Lou, my lovely, I was only saying tonight, I have a bout of nerves every time I go out......every single time !!
You've seen me at mcd's shaking like a bloody leaf and chewing my lip cos Im so nervous.......It is perfectly normal hun....especially after a drop...........I guess I got used to the drop thing after 14 of them but you will get past it hun.....honest.
I dont think I'll ever stop the shaking thing....but to me it means I dont become complacent and think Im better than I actually am
As so many people have said to me the confidence thing comes with riding...the more you ride the more it grows.

Big hugs hun......YOU WILL GET THERE....I HAVE EVERY FAITH IN YOU XX

DC
30-01-13, 10:53 PM
Lou after my spill back in the summer I had a couple of months off the bike and couldnt wait to get back on it but when the day actually came it was a different matter I was ****ting myself and not in a small way but after an hour or so back in the saddle all was well :) Crack on Lou !!! 8-) xxx

Jon_W
31-01-13, 07:51 AM
I had this after passing my test and not riding for a while. What I did was to start off with small rides around the block, then add a bit, add a bit until I was happy to ride again.

Winter riding is always a bit hit and miss in my books. There are some days it feels great and other that you think the end is nye.... I tend to endure the latter knowing that an enjoyable one is just round the corner.

Scotty
31-01-13, 07:52 AM
Best thing to do over the long dark Winter months is to go off-roading, keeps you bike-fit and co-ordinated, teaches you loads of different skills, builds confidence and gives you heaps of practice picking bikes up (it helps that dirt bikes are nice and light, plus they're difficult to damage unless you wrap it round a tree, in which case you'd be more concerned about yourself...) - Falling off is no big deal and invariably generates a laugh, unlike doing it on the road...

Why not have a go at the off-road try out that peeps are signing up for Lou? :-?

Jon_W
31-01-13, 07:55 AM
Best thing to do over the long dark Winter months is to go off-roading,

Why go off roading..... you can get all the gravel, mud and pot hole on the roads now!!!! :D

Great suggestion though Scotty. It is good (if muddy) fun.

Bonnielass
31-01-13, 08:23 AM
Unfortunately, this is something no one can help you with, we can tell you that we all get nervous when we have had time off from riding but the only thing that will help you is to get back on. You know how great that feeling is when you're riding along that nice long stretch of road! Or when you get home and think, what a great ride, and you have a huge smile on your face! :)

The very next nice day we have, we will have a 'girly' rideout! :)

Kevinb
31-01-13, 08:45 AM
Nerves get to everyone at some point whether it is due to falling off, a prat pulling out in front of you or just the bike not feeling right when you get back on it.

Only you can make you feel better about it. Next year try and get out over the winter as much as possible even if it is just to go into town or a tootle around local roads.

Swanny
31-01-13, 09:22 AM
Don't worry Lou, a warm sunny day, some nice roads and you'll be loving it again. 8-)

QB1
31-01-13, 09:36 AM
I think most of us get a few nerves at some point, I certainly do, but a few minutes on the bike and it's gone.

The only way to stop it is to get out on the bike.

I'd pick a nice day (not easy I know) when the sun is shining (even harder) and the roads are dry and go off for a little ride somewhere just to enjoy it. Once you start enjoying it the nerves will go.

I know off roading is a great way to build up skills I grew up on a farm and road a little bike on the farm before I went out on the roads which was great fun and invaluable but not sure off roading now is going to be of huge benefit unless you want to try it. Unless you are quite physically strong its bloody hard work and still hurts when you come off. I love riding my bike on the road but wouldn't fancy off road riding now. Too cold, too wet and I aint strong enough.

Another thought have you ever considered having a go at advanced training - thats a great confidence builder. If you get a good observer they will know how you feel and work with you to help you overcome any worries you have helping you enjoy riding again.

Good luck :)

wheelers
31-01-13, 10:00 AM
when my eldest had his accident and was paralysed I sold my road bike very tidy, very low mileage zephyr 750, wont find another like it , 10 months later looking forward to getting some better weather but have slowed down

Col
31-01-13, 12:06 PM
mmmmmmmm not entirely sure what exactly you mean LoU .... I get the 'waht yer saying' but what actually ain't brimming you wiv confidence ?

I hate winter roads and the lack of 'grip' which adds to the fun in a field or wood but has no role 'helping' on the road whatsoever.

how often do ya get yer leg over sweetness :D :D :-?

ehhhh ??...........what ? ;D

Geordie Stu
31-01-13, 04:58 PM
Try little & often. H&C meets. You'll get it back ;)

wiltshire builders
31-01-13, 05:16 PM
I don't know why anyone would ride in this ****e.
Everyone has good days and bad days but you need to realise that lack of confidence is just as bad as over confidence.

Sit down and think about what part of riding is worrying you eg left turns, right turns, high speeds, town riding etc then work on it
Mine was hitting a lampost at 85mph. I'm still not comfortable with the idea mind ;D

Twist of the wrist is a great book to help understand how your brain can help or hinder you riding.

Good luck

Wes
31-01-13, 05:40 PM
Yep, must admit after i lowsided the blade it did take the wind out of the old sails, but tbh winter riding is a completely different experience, and can make you a better rider for it, maybe if its a better day, the next WB ride could be something to go for, you will be fine Lou, im sure :)

goz1960
31-01-13, 07:13 PM
As above stick with it, it will all come back.

Pioneer
31-01-13, 07:17 PM
Went to Bristol yesterday via the A46. In all that wind it was frankly a tad worrying so bottled-out of using the motorway. Even so coming back was like dinghy sailing & definitely had to lean-in to the wind on the corners. Suspect if I had more experience I would have had the sense to take the car.

BB
31-01-13, 08:36 PM
Lou I know exactly what you mean. Believe in yourself, you can do it - any time you want you can just do it. I know you can and I know when you are ready you will be out there again, just believe. :-*

BB

Jacde
31-01-13, 08:50 PM
Ahh Lou Lou, you're not alone chick!

I was like that 2 years ago, now I wish I could be out riding my bike every day, (not in the ice or snow tho ;D )

You will get there, if like me, riding on two wheels doesn't come as naturally to you as it does to others it's frustrating, but time on the bike even if it's short slow bimbles to start with will make the difference.

Like Rosie said a girls ride out soon will be a good confidence boost for you.

xxxxxxxxxxx

redken1
31-01-13, 09:31 PM
Lou, I'm not going to repeat what's been said already, but perhaps it has a lot to do with the time of year. A lengthy lay-off away from any activity can have an adverse effect on a person’s confidence. You will be just fine when the better weather arrives. (not so far away) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Just think how nervous I felt dancing with such a lovely lady on her birthday. :D :-*

Rabb
31-01-13, 10:47 PM
Your drop in confidence is just due to the winter lay off.
When you get riding again your confidence level will improve and exceed your previous level.

As everyone says do some little rides and then say to yourself after - that was good and I didn't have any problems. Gradually increase the length of ride and up the speeds until you are at your previous confidence level. Remember, you have proved to an examiner that you are a competent rider (otherwise you wouldn't have your license)
I ride all year round as it's my only form of transport and if you analyse it there are only a few days a year when it is actually dangerous on a bike - most of the time it's just wet & horrible!
Even when icy it's O.K. - just remember to use your gears to slow down and be very gentle on the brakes if you do use them. Plan your route to only include main roads which are salted nightly which reduces any ice related control problems.
Keep the faith Lou - its about keeping positive :) :) :)

Ducatista
01-02-13, 10:17 AM
Lou - I can assure you that everyone has doubts and crises of confidence. In fact I read yesterday that if you didn't you'd be a psychopath :-)

The key to confidence is prcatice. Find a sympathetic friend to go out with and choose and easy route. Maybe combine it with coffee and a cake so it's not all about the biking.