PDA

View Full Version : Reporting damaged road surfaces/pot holes

QB1
01-02-13, 12:54 PM
Just wondered if anyone has reported any damaged road surfaces to the Council recently and whether its got any action?

Like many I'm sure I'm getting a wee bit fed up with what seems to be a lack of maintenance on the roads.

I know the bad weather hasnt helped but I dont see many hard working council road repair crews out and about.

I had my car in the garage a few days ago for some suspension repairs and whilst talking to the mechanic he was telling me how he had a call from the people who administer MOTs to query why his garage, and several others locally seemed to have so many MOT failures for suspension related issues. His reply was a suggestion to take a look at Wiltshire's roads! ;) :o :o

Nelly
01-02-13, 01:02 PM
Yup, i do it a all the time. To be fair to the council within 4 days the holes have been fixed. (when i say that, i mean a monkey has been out and stuffed a bucket of tar in the hole)!

All road defects can be reported to Clarence. Once reported they have a duty of repair. I once wrote a letter to the council telling them that because one of the roads in my local area i found i had to ride my motorcycle on the wrong side of the white line. Adding that i thought it was unsafe and may end up in a crash and be horribly injured. They read that as COMPENSATION CLAIM. Within 2 weeks the whole surface had and been stripped and re-laid. I urge everyone to report what you see. Only takes 2 minutes. :)

QB1
01-02-13, 01:09 PM
Yup, i do it a all the time. To be fair to the council within 4 days the holes have been fixed. (when i say that, i mean a monkey has been out and stuffed a bucket of tar in the hole)!

All road defects can be reported to Clarence. Once reported they have a duty of repair. I once wrote a letter to the council telling them that because one of the roads in my local area i found i had to ride my motorcycle on the wrong side of the white line. Adding that i thought it was unsafe and may end up in a crash and be horribly injured. They read that as COMPENSATION CLAIM. Within 2 weeks the whole surface had and been stripped and re-laid. I urge everyone to report what you see. Only takes 2 minutes. :)

Just reported the A362 Warminster to Frome road past the Longleat roundabout its terrible. It'll be interesting to see what response I get.

Like the letter ;)

I used this - https://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/parkingtransportandstreets/highwaysreportingform.htm?type=road

Looks like you can also email - clarence@wiltshire.gov.uk

Maybe if a few more of us take a few minutes to report problems we might get something done?

Nelly
01-02-13, 01:15 PM
That's the problem. People drive/ride over shoddy streets, moan and curse about them, but ultimately do nothing. If everyone reported the defects around their local area, in theory, the roads should be in better condition 8-)

Snowy
01-02-13, 01:28 PM
Glad the use of CLARENCE is increasing in the biking community :)

I've used it loads of times and to be fair to my employer ( :D ;D ;)) they have reacted quickly. Nelly's absolutely right... too many people are quick to complain but don't actually do anything about reporting the issues. Its not economically viable, plus there would be a public outcry, for there to be hundreds of people and vehicles in use by the council just looking for problems.

redken1
01-02-13, 01:29 PM
Some of you on here may well raise your eyebrows in disapproval with that, ‘here goes Ken on his political rant again,’ ::) you have to accept however, that under the current government’s severe austerity cuts, upkeep of our roads infrastructure is a long way down the pecking order on the priority list.

Anyway, don’t be surprised if most of the cash earmarked for repairs will be spent on meeting compensation claims.

I do agree with previous posts though, keep reporting, (he/she who shouts the loudest and all that)

Ducatista
01-02-13, 02:53 PM
you have to accept however, that under the current government’s severe austerity cuts, upkeep of our roads infrastructure is a long way down the pecking order on the priority list.

I accept and understand there's less money about, but we don't have to agree with the order of the priority list.

Crosbie
01-02-13, 03:05 PM
::) eyebrows raised and eyes rolling... ;D

Snowy
01-02-13, 03:19 PM
you have to accept however, that under the current government’s severe austerity cuts, upkeep of our roads infrastructure is a long way down the pecking order on the priority list.

I accept and understand there's less money about, but we don't have to agree with the order of the priority list.

You'll never get everybody to agree on any priority list. The simple fact is that the cost of inspecting every public road in the county ever 24 hrs is not economically viable.

redken1
01-02-13, 03:51 PM
I was not advocating an inspection of all public roads, nor was I saying that we should agree with the government’s list of priorities (on the contrary), merely pointing out that transport is currently way down the order.

Reading the Independent today – The next round of cuts will probably hit all ‘unprotected’ budgets such as transport the hardest. Additional savings will need to be made on spending on local roads as we see the government block grant to LAs slashed. Disagreeing with cuts on transport is one thing, but changing the government’s order of priorities is a completely different ‘kettle of fish’

Demo anyone? ::) ;)

Ducatista
01-02-13, 04:05 PM
The simple fact is that the cost of inspecting every public road in the county ever 24 hrs is not economically viable.

Of course.
As usual we all agree but keep arguing about it anyway ;)

redken1
01-02-13, 04:10 PM
The simple fact is that the cost of inspecting every public road in the county ever 24 hrs is not economically viable.

Of course.
As usual we all agree but keep arguing about it anyway ;)

:-* :-* :-* ;D ;D ;D

Wes
01-02-13, 05:33 PM
Usually theres a link on the local council website, lve reported a couple and theyve been repaired within 48 hrs :)

SupeRDel
01-02-13, 06:07 PM
There is also a link for reporting a steetlight that does not work.
Stick in the streetname and number on the post and it will be fixed in 48 hours although they do say it could be longer.

After its fixed they will email you back to ask its working OK.

Geordie Stu
02-02-13, 08:24 AM
In my travels around the Midlands, Southwest & Wales. I can say the roads in most counties are in poor condition. Some have not been repaired since last year. I think we discussed this last year & the definition of what is a pot hole. Some are classed as "Surface irregularities" & deemed less important.

Ducatista
02-02-13, 08:29 AM
I have found Wales a great deal better, but I haven't been there since the recent snow.

redken1
02-02-13, 08:37 AM
I have found Wales a great deal better, but I haven't been there since the recent snow.

I ride in Wales often and have to agree with you, in fact I go there a lot for that very reason, well, and I can get a free cuppa at the in-laws in Rhayader. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

What is it with the roads in Somerset and Wiltshire? >:(

During my recent visit I found the roads in the Highlands in a much better state too.

BB
02-02-13, 11:51 AM
There is also a link for reporting a steetlight that does not work.
Stick in the streetname and number on the post and it will be fixed in 48 hours although they do say it could be longer.

After its fixed they will email you back to ask its working OK.

Umm, the street lighting contractor has 5 working days to attend and attempt a repair or advise what further action is required.

BB

Col
02-02-13, 11:58 AM

During my recent visit I found the roads in the Highlands in a much better state too.

That's because we English haven't any money left after paying you jocks free education, prescriptions and benefits so that explains why you can see the roads are better cos they got all the money :-* :-*

redken1
02-02-13, 05:33 PM

That's because we English haven't any money left after paying you jocks free education, prescriptions and benefits so that explains why you can see the roads are better cos they got all the money :-* :-*

You English voters ‘made your Tory bed gotta lie in it’ Lol

::) :P ;) :D ;D :-* :-* :-*

BB
02-02-13, 05:43 PM

That and less than half the traffic....

Swanny
02-02-13, 06:44 PM
The roads surrounding Trogtown look like something out of a battlefield, the council could never keep up.
Trouble is the English are rubbish at making roads.
I used to live in PNG, the roads to and from my town were built the Bits and the French. Guess which one was rubbish :-/

Geordie Stu
04-02-13, 02:52 PM
Was told by a customers about this web site.

http://www.potholes.co.uk/

Looks very informative & gives you information on reporting Potholes, How to claim & Stories.