PDA

View Full Version : Older bikers more prone to injury??

Jon_W
07-02-13, 10:17 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21350883

Conehead
07-02-13, 10:23 AM
Yay, I have a few more years before I get injured. ;D ;D ;D

MelkshamKwak
07-02-13, 10:33 AM
PHEW - i'm ok for another 5 years then ;D

Nelly
07-02-13, 11:41 AM
11 years to go :)

Col
07-02-13, 12:03 PM
:o :o not much hope here and as packed up da sshhmoking is now heading for a coronary due to being a fatbastard :'( and am quite blind as it is--

don't know about an elastic chest wall -

- but I will pay more attention to chests as and when they are presented :-?

Scotty
07-02-13, 12:41 PM
"Data on motorbike size was not available to the researchers, but they suggested that older adults were more likely to buy bikes with larger engines - leading to more severe injuries..."

Nothing like a bit of totally uninformed speculation to distort the true picture is there? The "design life" of the human body is probably about 40 years, after which fitness generally declines, metabolism decreases and things start heading South. Recent generations have been living far longer than in previous centuries due to advancements in nutrition and medicine, and a generally easier life. Those of us beyond 30 will attest to the longer recovery periods from hangovers and injuries and the fact that we ache a lot more than we used to after a long day on a bike.

As we age, we are more prone to injury and take longer to heal because we've exceeded our original design life, in the past we'd have been dropping like flies by now. Susceptibility to injury is age-related, and absolutely nothing to do with the size of the bike we ride. How would these researchers explain the rate of attrition amongst 16 year-olds in the 70s then, when they were only riding mopeds?

Swanny
07-02-13, 01:02 PM
Us oldies don't bounce as well :D

redken1
07-02-13, 01:15 PM
I find myself agreeing with Scotty on this one.

This is really groundbreaking accurate revelations based on the findings of years of extensive research. :P

When I was a young 17 year old biker, despite partying on till the wee hours on Saturday and Sunday, I always managed to turn up for work early Monday morning fresh, fit and raring to go. Thanks to this article, I now know why at 53 years of age it takes me till Tuesday to recover from a few ciders on a Saturday evening. And there was me thinking that it had summit to do with global warming and polluted apples. :P ;) ;D

Kevinb
07-02-13, 01:27 PM
13 months until I'm fifty now that is unlucky.
Still feel like a 18 year old but my wife won't let me have one ;D

QB1
07-02-13, 01:30 PM
''Motorcyclists over the age of 60 are three times more likely to be hospitalised after a crash than younger bikers, a US study suggests.''

That's because most Harleys are ridden by old men ;D ;D

wiltshire builders
07-02-13, 02:01 PM
Wow really? Old people aren't as strong or fit as young people!
Who'd have thought it?

What next, Sailors are more likely to drown at sea than accountants?

Trev
07-02-13, 02:07 PM
Who'd have thought it?

;D

redken1
07-02-13, 02:13 PM
Who'd have thought it?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Snowy
07-02-13, 03:18 PM
The two age groups most likely (statistically) to have an accident on a motorcyle are 17-19 and 35-39 (Males) IIRC. So the fact that I'm not as fit as I used to be is irrelevant as I'm not in either age group anymore and never will be again ;D ;D

Snowy
07-02-13, 03:21 PM
I find myself agreeing with Scotty on this one.

This is really groundbreaking accurate revelations based on the findings of years of extensive research. :P

When I was a young 17 year old biker, despite partying on till the wee hours on Saturday and Sunday, I always managed to turn up for work early Monday morning fresh, fit and raring to go. Thanks to this article, I now know why at 53 years of age it takes me till Tuesday to recover from a few ciders on a Saturday evening. And there was me thinking that it had summit to do with climate change and polluted apples. :P ;) ;D

Fixed it fer yer ;D :P

Rabb
07-02-13, 09:59 PM
I'm 47 but I can still climb mountains faster than youngsters.
I had a grade three hamstring tear last year and the hospital said it would be between 3&6 weeks before I would be able to walk without a limp - I'm always up for a challenge (I was walking normally in 7 days!)

I've always believed it's about 60% what you've been given in your genes and 40% how you've kept yourself fit and active.

By the way I recovered quickly from the hamstring injury due to the "hot / cold therapy"
Hot shower against the bruising every night followed by cold gel - it worked in 7 days!

redken1
08-02-13, 09:58 AM
I had a grade three hamstring tear last year and the hospital said it would be between 3&6 weeks before I would be able to walk without a limp - I'm always up for a challenge (I was walking normally in 7 days!)

I've always believed it's about 60% what you've been given in your genes and 40% how you've kept yourself fit and active.

By the way I recovered quickly from the hamstring injury due to the "hot / cold therapy"
Hot shower against the bruising every night followed by cold gel - it worked in 7 days!

Rabb, for whatever reason, you are more fortunate than most of your age-group. Obviously, due a number of contributing factors the human body deteriorates at different rates from person to person. :(

As in all areas of life there will always be exceptions to the rule.

Eg; If Man Utd played Liverpool 20 times the odds would be very favourable on Liverpool winning once. On second thoughts it’s worth remembering that there are exceptions to the ‘exceptions to the rule’ theory. :D ::) ;) ;D

Ps Apologies for going off topic - could not stop myself.

Runs for cover before the proverbial sh*t hits the fan

Last Train
08-02-13, 10:45 AM

Rabb, for whatever reason, you are more fortunate than most of your age-group. Obviously, due a number of contributing factors the human body deteriorates at different rates from person to person. :(

As in all areas of life there will always be exceptions to the rule.

Eg; If Man Utd played Liverpool 20 times the odds would be very favourable on Liverpool winning once. On second thoughts it’s worth remembering that there are exceptions to the ‘exceptions to the rule’ theory. :D ::) ;) ;D

Ps Apologies for going off topic - could not stop myself.

Runs for cover before the proverbial sh*t hits the fan

http://www.pushupstairs.com/images/emoticon/neptune/Animated/Gesture/gesture025.gif

(I like the red card doofer)

coyote
08-02-13, 11:30 AM
YES!
I used to race motorbikes - in my 20s when I crashed I bounced.
In my 30s I broke bones.
In my 40s - I stopped before I killed myself!

Julie_S
09-02-13, 11:12 AM
More likely to get injured or more likely to get damaged when injured because of their age? 2 quite different things

And a Harley falling on you is going to hurt more than a 'ped....

We all know how much longer it takes us to heal and how much easier things are going to break when older, doesn't need a scientist to point that out.

This survey is from the States where training is poor compared to here (if the episode of 'American Chopper' where Mikey took his bike test is true to life) Don't Americans still refuse to wear seatbelts and have massive airbags instead?