PDA

View Full Version : Buying Used Parts

coyote
08-02-13, 11:29 AM
For the last 10 years I have run a free used part finder at Bike-Breakers.info

Over the last couple of years the number of users has dropped off a bit, so I'm after some info.

Last time you bought or looked for used parts for your bike how did you go about locating the part?
Did you use a part search, visit/ring your local breaker, e-bay, somewhere else?
Any info will be useful - thanks.

QB1
08-02-13, 12:25 PM
For the last 10 years I have run a free used part finder at Bike-Breakers.info

Over the last couple of years the number of users has dropped off a bit, so I'm after some info.

Last time you bought or looked for used parts for your bike how did you go about locating the part?
Did you use a part search, visit/ring your local breaker, e-bay, somewhere else?
Any info will be useful - thanks.

Never bother going to breakers direct or using third party search companies any more just straight to Ebay.

I nearly always check the main dealer prices and places like Wemoto too as I very often find secondhand bits arent that much cheaper than new dealer supplied parts.

Your part finder may be very good but ones I've used in the past have been rubbish, they just take too long to respond for requests and some just dont bother.

Jon_W
08-02-13, 01:56 PM
I always either use ebay, google or direct to ones I know have parts.

Snowy
08-02-13, 02:36 PM
For critical components I only tend to buy new parts which would either be a via a dealer or one of several independant suppliers. For other consumables its a case of internet searching for what I want and going for the best price, sometimes thats Ebay othertimes its a direct site.

Conehead
08-02-13, 02:50 PM
As my bike is becoming a rare classic parts are very hard to come by so I tend to do Internet search or ebay. Dont usually find what I need though or the price is extortionate. :o :o :o

Next time I might get a bike that is easily available. ;) ;)

wheelers
08-02-13, 07:05 PM
from a trade point of view, we have customers budgets to consider. if they want new and willing to pay its main dealer, normally for used parts we have a list of breakers but generally its ebay, but you need to be suare of fitment. we have had customers buy from ebay only to find it wont fit, as has been mentioned before, we need parts today, if traders/breakers dont respond for days we get angry customers on the phone daily, the worst are spotty teenagers expecting it done today , cheap as possible.

Jon_W
11-02-13, 12:43 PM
As my bike is becoming a rare classic parts are very hard to come by so I tend to do Internet search or ebay. Dont usually find what I need though or the price is extortionate. :o :o :o

Next time I might get a bike that is easily available. ;) ;)

Try the owners clubs. They usually have a parts horder amonst them. Also try ebay abroard. I've had to use ebay.it for the scooter as parts are like hens teeth in this country. Failing that it's what you can make/modify. Many parts are similar to other models or shared.

goz1960
11-02-13, 07:48 PM
Im not sure I would use second hand parts on my R6 I suppose it would depend on what part needed replacing.

Rabb
11-02-13, 08:30 PM
EBay for me nearly every time for a price check (Ball park price)
I google it too though - just to see if a dealer has the part I want at a reasonable price.
If I believe the price is unreasonable - I will not buy until I find one at what I consider a good price for the part.

BB
11-02-13, 10:02 PM
Im not sure I would use second hand parts on my R6 I suppose it would depend on what part needed replacing.

Don't ever buy a classic Brit bike! ;D ;D ;D

BB

Conehead
12-02-13, 12:05 AM

Don't ever buy a classic Brit bike! ;D ;D ;D

BB

Why not. I have a classic Triumph Daytona and wouldn't swop it for anything. Well almost anything. :D :D

BB
12-02-13, 07:31 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love classic bikes to bits - in fact my Triumph is in bits right now! ::) but sometimes you can only get 2nd hand or refurb'd parts. As a lonnnng time classic bike owner, autojumbler and stall holder I've spent plenty of time looking for or at desirable parts/rusting bits of metal! :D :D

BB

Jon_W
12-02-13, 07:44 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love classic bikes to bits - in fact my Triumph is in bits right now! ::) but sometimes you can only get 2nd hand or refurb'd parts. As a lonnnng time classic bike owner, autojumbler and stall holder I've spent plenty of time looking for or at desirable parts/rusting bits of metal! :D :D

BB

Isn't that half the fun??? :-? :D

BB
12-02-13, 01:40 PM
It sure is! ;)

BB

majodude
13-02-13, 06:14 AM
eBay or WEMOTO seem to have everything I need (bike wise)