PDA

View Full Version : Riding in Europe, what legally do you require?

Splash
12-02-13, 08:04 PM
All,

have I got this right, is the following all I need to travel in Europe on the bike?

- A valid full driving licence, with paper counterpart if you have a photocard licence.
- The original vehicle registration document (V5). M.O.T Not applicable bike < 3 years old.
- Insurance Certificate.
- Passport.
- 'GB' Sticker
- First Aid kit?
- Headlight tape / converter... how necessary is this?
- Spare Bulbs
- Hiz Viz
- Warning Triangle

Is that the essential so you don't get any hefty 'fines'

Cheers

Ash ;)

Snowy
12-02-13, 08:10 PM
I don't bother with headlamp tape - I just make sure my dipped beam is pointing way downward from normal so it can't dazzle. I would add spare bulbs to your list and also a lightweight hi viz bib incase you do breakdown at night.

Also be careful if you have aftermarket HID's fitted - the european police are a lot hotter with this one than the UK police as technically they're illegal if not fitted to the correct CE approved lens.

Splash
12-02-13, 08:17 PM
Thanks Snowy,

Just remembered, Warning Triangle also I think :S

No breathalyzer though thank god!

Ade
12-02-13, 08:27 PM
You'll be too loaded up to take any gear if you take that lot !!!!!!

I've never bothered with a V5 when I've driven in Europe.

Conehead
12-02-13, 08:32 PM
Just found this whilst getting info on tyres. I didn't know this.

'In some other European countries it is illegal to use
replacements which differ in certain respects (e.g. size, load,
construction, and speed rating) from the tyre fitted originally
by the vehicle manufacturer.'

I got it from the below link if interested.

http://www.ridesafebacksafe.co.uk/images/Motorcycle%2012pp%20download.pdf

Good luck with your journey.

RedSoul
12-02-13, 08:36 PM
Probably not legally required but essential is good breakdown cover,travel insurance,medical card,spare fuses..

Splash
12-02-13, 08:43 PM

Very interesting! Thanks!

Snowy
12-02-13, 08:44 PM
Probably not legally required but essential is good breakdown cover,travel insurance,medical card,spare fuses..

Ahhh...if we're getting off the "legal" side then also a good puncture kit and a pump plus a few of the usual tools for your bike. And a good map even if you have a SatNav.

I'm never really sure about the legal requirement for HiViz jacket/bib and warning triangle in regards to a bike. I know they're both requirements for a car but I've never seen anywhere that they're not required for a bike. The Hi Viz isn't a real problem as they're easy to carry and lightweight but a warning triangle is a different matter. I take the view that if the bike breaks down I can probably move it off the road so its not a hazard and don't bother to take one.

Splash
12-02-13, 08:44 PM

Other than travel insurance which I have to do find, all done! Especially the fuses! Gone through so many on my bike already :/

Snowy
12-02-13, 08:46 PM

Same in the UK.

Snowy
12-02-13, 08:53 PM

Other than travel insurance which I have to do find, all done! Especially the fuses! Gone through so many on my bike already :/

You have an electrical fault somewhere if you're going through a lot of fuses. I would get that sorted as a priority before anything else.

Senna(Dan)
12-02-13, 09:11 PM
Splash,
as yours is a newer motor you shouldn't have an issue with headlight tape.
Headlight tape is mainly for older bikes where they used to fire high right or left depending on which side you drive. Manufacturers are now legally obliged to fit flat beamed headlights.

Demonbaker
13-02-13, 07:02 AM
Traveled lot in Europe and never carried or even met anyone carrying a warning triangle on a bike.

Splash
13-02-13, 10:17 AM

You have an electrical fault somewhere if you're going through a lot of fuses. I would get that sorted as a priority before anything else.

This was actually due to my stupidity... ::) Installing the givi tail lights... the RAC people LOVE me!

All sorted now though :)

Splash
13-02-13, 10:18 AM
Splash,
Headlight tape is mainly for older bikes where they used to fire high right or left depending on which side you drive. Manufacturers are now legally obliged to fit flat beamed headlights.

Cheers Dan - Very interesting and good to know for future ref, saves a lot of hassle!

Splash
13-02-13, 10:19 AM
Traveled lot in Europe and never carried or even met anyone carrying a warning triangle on a bike.

Well that's that, thanks Dude! 8-)

Snowy
13-02-13, 12:55 PM
Splash,

Dan, I'm not sure this is correct. I agree that under the ECE standard which all manufacturers outside of the USA follow its a must that there's a distinct horizontal cutoff on dipped beam, but there's also the additional requirement that the lens sweeps up either to the left or to the right at the edge of the beam in order to illuminate roadsigns. Its because of this requirement that there are different versions of headlamps in use for L/H and R/H vehicles. On my bike as an example there is a completely different headlamp assembly for driving on the left or the right and the lens pattern is reversed. Its this sweep at the edge of the beam which produces glare if your on the "other" side of the road.

Jon_W
13-02-13, 01:10 PM
Splash,

Dan, I'm not sure this is correct. I agree that under the ECE standard which all manufacturers outside of the USA follow its a must that there's a distinct horizontal cutoff on dipped beam, but there's also the additional requirement that the lens sweeps up either to the left or to the right at the edge of the beam in order to illuminate roadsigns. Its because of this requirement that there are different versions of headlamps in use for L/H and R/H vehicles. On my bike as an example there is a completely different headlamp assembly for driving on the left or the right and the lens pattern is reversed. Its this sweep at the edge of the beam which produces glare if your on the "other" side of the road.

Just check with the manufacturer if your unsure or concerned.

Ducatista
13-02-13, 01:36 PM
Isn't it a requirement to have retro reflective helmet stickers on all sides in France?

Conehead
13-02-13, 03:38 PM
You need to wear a gimp mask 24/7. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Splash
13-02-13, 04:13 PM
You need to wear a gimp mask 24/7. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Har Har ::)

Splash
13-02-13, 04:26 PM
Warning Triangles - Excludes Motorcycles,

Ducatista - Just read into this, seems any helmet sold or used in France requires these.

Col
13-02-13, 07:22 PM
Not legal but get one of them European Health Insurance Cards..

and check what the cover is with your bike insurance as in recovery and maybe get bit of medico extra cover and stuff like Redsoul /Snowy put.. put your blood and any odd medical info somewhere [can get tags or expensive memo stick type things or alternatively and admittedly radical you could write on some paper and put in your jacket or trews] ..not that you'll need it but just in case :)

Don't get hung up on the light stuff simply use a bit of tape to block off the high bit of main beam if you are that bothered..irrelevant on dip of course and doubt you'll be pottering about at night anyway.. the natives wouldn't notice the beam kick up by the time you passed.

Have a good hols :)

Splash
13-02-13, 07:44 PM
Cheers Col!

All sorted on that front, good idea about the medical info, wouldn't have thought / done that myself!

Nomad
14-02-13, 02:19 PM
everything you need to know about riding your bike on tour in france can be seen here www.ridersrest.eu/tips.htm

happy to answer questions if you have any specific ones... 8-)