PDA

View Full Version : Stereotype corrected

Pioneer
24-02-13, 07:09 PM
Oxford Dictionaries has dropped references to 'long hair' and 'dirty denims' in its definition of 'bikers' after motorcylists complained.
Oxford University Press, which publishes the Oxford English Dictionary, bowed to pressure from Britain's two-wheeled community, who claimed the description was outdated.
The online version previously defined biker as: "A motorcyclist, especially one who is a member of a gang: a long-haired biker in dirty denims."
However, figures show that far from the "long-haired and dirty denim" stereotype, fewer than one in 10 male bikers now has long hair (9 per cent).
Furthermore, almost half of British bikers (42 per cent) are totally free of tattoos, piercings, facial hair or gang markings.

Swanny
24-02-13, 08:01 PM
I have facial hair but sadly my days of long hair have gone :'( Unless I want to look like Max Wall :D

Maybe I should get a tattoo :)

Conehead
24-02-13, 08:04 PM
Does this mean I have to start showering again. :( :( :(

Toph
24-02-13, 08:13 PM
I have to say that I'm a biker, and my personal hygiene is exemplary. :) :P

BB
24-02-13, 10:02 PM
I have been known to frequent the shower and change my clothes.... ;)

BB

Nelly
24-02-13, 10:10 PM
I smell nice.

Most of the time. More Tea vicar? :)

Rabb
24-02-13, 10:21 PM
I have short hair, no tatoos, no piercings or gang affiliations.
I also smell really good too (according to my wife).

I used to have long hair though (about thirty years ago)

Ghost
24-02-13, 11:26 PM
Damn! I have long hair, dirty denims and that Bath Classic gang are a bit suss! Is there any hope for this poor stereotypical biker? :-/ 8-) ;D

Kevinb
25-02-13, 08:46 AM
Very little hair and a grey beard. Must go though as it's time for my annual shower ;D

Geordie Stu
25-02-13, 09:50 AM
Once described as a 6ftish Bald Tattooed Geordie Biker. Howay man...! ;D

Jon_W
25-02-13, 03:39 PM
Dirty denims, yes.

Long hair, no

Beard, no.

And yes I do wash!!! :D

8_ball
25-02-13, 04:20 PM
as bizzare as it sounds motorcyclist and biker in my book are two different people ??

::)